Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Online Photo Competition: The Rice Project

Default Re: Online Photo Competition: The Rice Project

Quote Originally Posted by tSkye View Post

dun meant to bring back any disagreement over the issue, but does the judging panel gets to know the brand of your camera body? not all photos will have their exif and so i wonder if filling up the form will require that to be filled.

secondly i wonder if the entries will get to be browse through by the organiser prior to putting up online, ie. does all the entries goes directly online once submitted or is there proper censorship or moderation applied before the entries goes up online, or better still, selected before going online?

just curious
    Last edited by zoossh; 19th July 2008 at 11:14 PM.

Yes, the form does require one to state the model of camera used.

wow .. thanks for all the great support and discussion...

We apologise for the "long" wait for the official results .... please go to www.thericeproject.com for the official news of the 6 winners and the online voters too.

Unfortunately, a couple of the winners are not able to make it for the trip as they were not able to get permission to go due to work and studies commitments. Hence, we have called others who have come close to winning to offer them the opportunity to go. Nonetheless, the official winners have put in good efforts with great photos and meaningful photo essay, hence we will still declare them as the winners and credit their names on our website.

Once again, we thank the community of photographers for all your great support in this competition. The prize is not camera equipment or cash prizes like most photo competition for a trip to go to Sri Lanka to suffer ... and yet so many of you are so supportive .. This really touches our hearts ... heh heh .. just kidding about suffering ... but for sure this trip will be quite draining physically and mentally as we see the situations of the people. But of course, it will be rewarding for all who are going too as it is always better to give than to receive ... I am sure we will all realise how fortunate we are in little Singapore where we have so many things in life.

Do continue to support us and join our facebook group under theredtree and the rice project if you are keen to help us and be involved in our future projects ...

In terms of judging, I must say we have tried our best to make it as fair as possible. The online votes definitely do affect the overall results but the decisions of the judges as well as the overall photo essay and the combination of photos matter a lot. Notice why we did not ask for just one photo. A lot of things, people win photo competition coz they happened to take just one really good shot but overall they are not so consistent in their skills and composition. Hence we have decided to judge based on a series of 5 photos to gauge the consistency and proficiency of the photographers. At the end of the days, our aim is to bring down lots of good and though provoking photos for the trip so that we make the rest of the viewers think about the situations of the Tsunami victims and perhaps motivate and inspire more Singaporeans to lend a happening hands ..

And finally to answer if the brand of the camera is important ...hmmm it is definitely not a criteria .. overall there are 4 winners using Canon and 2 using Nikon. This is just a coincident and in case one of the winners was using a Canon S5 IS. Our camera is just a mean to an end ... Use it and capture the moments and the rest speaks for itself ... Honestly, I dare to vouch especially since I was a judge for the Canon photomarathon as well ... camera brands were never our concern .. we want good composition, good storylines .. good framing ... In fact, I remember several year ago, the overall winner of the Canon photomarathon was using a Ricoh GRD ... : )

Have fun shooting and enjoy photography

It is enlightening to note that such competition can draw an open discussion.

At the end of the day, whoever wins, it is at the judges discretion and they are final.

But one thing that bothers me,

Quote Originally Posted by twisturn View Post
    In terms of judging, I must say we have tried our best to make it as fair as possible. The online votes definitely do affect the overall results but the decisions of the judges as well as the overall photo essay and the combination of photos matter a lot.
    Seems to suggest it can be overruled. And so why the need for voting? A medium to consolidate for more contacts?

And one last thing, the winners are either a photographers or documentary/photojournalist except for the students , of course. Coincidence?

I am in no favor when it comes to online voting and everything happen behind close doors, unless there is a qualified auditor in place for which there is no mention who is responsible. That is why I never take part in such competition.

Nonetheless it has been an eye opener.

Hi Telefax,

I do agree with you that even if the participants have a huge number of people voting for them, they may not necessary win. Why is this so? Why then do we implement the online voting? The online voting system is to let the public have a say in who they feel have submitted the best series of photos in relation to the topic. The votes do affect the overall chances of winning for each participant. However, in every system, there is always a loophole ... in this case, if a participant happen to have a lot of good friends and relatives, he or she can garner for a lot more votes than the rest by sending out tons of emails or making lots of phonecalls to garner for support. We cannot stop this as long as there are no repeat individuals who has voted.

However, when we do our judging, we can recheck and confirm with one another if indeed an participant with lots of online votes had presented works that is relevant to the topic and if it is consistent quality work. It is at this stage that you are right to say that it is important for all of us to be impartial and open our eyes to see if indeed the works justify the huge number of votes.

We try our best. I agree totally with you that in order to be totally transparent, perhaps an auditor need to be present to make sure all is documented ... heh heh in this case, we are just doing our best and cannot afford to hire one ... we only hope we can pick the most deserving winners to go the trip and use photography to create more public awareness for those in need in Sri Lanka ...

and yes ... you are definitely sharp and alert when it comes to noting that a lot of the winners state their profession as photographer or documentary photojournalist. I had the same observation when we finally pick them. After speaking to all of them, then I realise not all are full-time photographers... some are just freelancing and others have just embarked on this path as a career. Then one thought suddenly came to me and I say and emphasize again ..

it does not matter if you are a full-time photographer or not but it does matter whether you have passion ... with all the good equipment and qualifications and experience... if you do not have passion ... then the photos will tell ... I am still learning day by day ... it is sure hard work ..and i hope more and more will join the vocation and raise the standards ..

i'm not in exact favor of public voting. i'm sure to a larger extent that is part of promotion, and to a lesser extent it gives those supporters or those concerned a way of participation.

most imptly, is that the competition has selected suitable people who have shown their ability to approach sensitive issues in life and make connections to the readers.

since the judge is available here to comment, may i ask if the entries posted online, are they being screened through by the organiser or the judges before being put online? if there are questionable material which is not explained in the photo essay or the captions, is there communication between the competitor and the organiser with regards to that, and which is not published?

pm me if necessary.

Hi Zoossh,

You are absolutely right ... there is certainly an element of generating more publicity with the online voting and creating more awareness of the project.... we need all the support we can get ... so do help us to spread the message around and we welcome all the help especially when preparing for the photo exhibition.

hmmm honestly, we do not stop people from posting their photos immediately .. as in the photos get posted automatically once it is submitted. However, we are always checking for new entries and photos all the time and as stated in our rules and regulations, if we find the photos obscene, provocative, or otherwise has objectionable content, they will be disqualified from the photo competition.

Thus far, we do not deem the photos obscene or provocative or offensive in nature. I know that the photo of the Vietnamese woman breastfeeding her baby do raise some concern for some. After reviewing the photos, we feel that is alright to be included as we feel that it is not offensive or obscene at all.

And as for the whether the photographer has asked for permission initially or later asked for permission to use the photograph for exhibitions, photo competition or even any editorial or commercial use, we leave it to the discretion of the photographer who create this work. As far as the competition is concerned, it is okay for it to be in

However in the case after the competition and if we decided to use this photograph for any future publicity or news, we will definitely be asking the photographer to seek permission for the usage of the photos .. I meant to check with his subject if it is ok to publish the photos.

Hope i have answered your queries ... thanks for all the support ..

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234