Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Online Photo Competition: The Rice Project

Default Re: Online Photo Competition: The Rice Project

I'm not eligible to vote
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

i saw one contesting picture showing a women feeding her baby but with half or slightly more than half of her lower breasts revealed.

it is dark and she seems sleepy/tired and is probably unaware of the shot. as she isn't very untidily dressed, and the picture is rather quarter body shot cropping off environmental elements, i can't tell the socioeconomical background or in that case whether it is and how it has a photojournalistic value. but i'm just afraid without a model release and if she dun have very critical living issues to be totally oblivious to this, it may be inappropriate for posting of the picture, let alone for a competition meant for photojournalism.

i wonder what does the rest think?

another entry took my notice. just a 17 year old foreign student from china who pick up photography for a few months, the shots are impressive for that short a learning curve but photographically (in terms of visual aesthetic) not ahead of some other contestant, but still caught my notice. i wouldn't know if the shots are as intended or intelligently connected thereafter but i appreciate the thoughts he have put behind his shots which is largely helped by good captioning, and i think he will go far if he pursue this field of photography.

http://www.thericeproject.com/?actio...d=46&m=&s=&p=2

unfortunately, i can't pm him to say this, if not, really like to pat him on his shoulder for a good job done.
    Last edited by zoossh; 13th July 2008 at 07:45 PM.

yes i took notice of the student. He's pictures are actually nice and i do find his photos visually aesthetically(my god this is so hard to spell) pleasing. Well if every shots of a human being needs a model release. Then most of the entries would not pass. I think if the photos are not degrading or meant for pranks or etc. there's a gray line somewhere. Its like how legal is paying for sex... sorta.... sorry... its morning and im mumbling to myself...

think u have mixed up two different contestant.

i know ur talking bout the student works. and another works with the breast slip. Or did i mixed up?

Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    i saw one contesting picture showing a women feeding her baby but with half or slightly more than half of her lower breasts revealed.

it is dark and she seems sleepy/tired and is probably unaware of the shot. as she isn't very untidily dressed, and the picture is rather quarter body shot cropping off environmental elements, i can't tell the socioeconomical background or in that case whether it is and how it has a photojournalistic value. but i'm just afraid without a model release and if she dun have very critical living issues to be totally oblivious to this, it may be inappropriate for posting of the picture, let alone for a competition meant for photojournalism.

i wonder what does the rest think?
    That's a valid point. but how often do you approach your subjects for approval in such circumstances in the first place? It will be really awkward and weird to walk up to the subject and tell them that you have taken a photo of them in a compromising position and ask for their permission to publish it. For example, one image i think of would be the one where the Vietnamese girl was running naked after her village was napalmed. I doubt she was aware she being photographed or had been asked whether it's ok to use her photo. Still it became an iconic photo. Furthermore, I don't think most PJs will carry model release forms with them everywhere they go.

Quote Originally Posted by nonchann View Post
    but how often do you approach your subjects for approval in such circumstances in the first place? It will be really awkward and weird to walk up to the subject and tell them that you have taken a photo of them in a compromising position and ask for their permission to publish it.
    forgot to answer your question

my answer for myself is.... i dun really publish pictures, so i dun really have the habit or experience of asking for permission of model release. if there is a chance that the pictures looks personal although not at all or possibly compromising, and the concerned party is likely to mind, i will still ask if i can post it online, like one of the pura tanah lot shot that i help a young japanese couple took. i ask them when i email them.

and if that is a compromising position, i seldom take any if i can remember apart from a novice monk who smoke.

but most impt of all is if it is so expectedly weird to walk up to ask with the reason not just becos of privacy but for obvious reasons such as outrage of modesty, then i will find it even more weird to publish it. i think the reason why one would not want to ask for permission is worthwhile to ponder over for thinking whether the picture serves any good in being published or should it be.

ps. oops i somehow accidentally deleted the original text when editing. dun mean anything by deleting the original text.
    Last edited by zoossh; 15th July 2008 at 08:54 PM.

what if it is far from iconic, and being published or posted online? like what you say, the girl is running for her life and at that point of time, being taken of such photograph is probably not of much implication. some photographers take candid photography but do not published them due to the contents. i assume contestants going to assist in humanitarian projects in sri lanka need to exercise even more sensitivity and responsibility.

it is all about discretion. people who applied rules like a blanket is too rigid. and i dun mean that way.
    You are right about the responsibility aspect. Everyone will react differently because everyone perceive things differently. With regards to the photo in question, you might find it offensive but the artist might not have seen it that way. To him, it might be part of a photo story that he is telling. One man's meat may just be another man's poison. Just as you are entitled to feel strongly the way you feel, the artist has the same entitlement to. There is really no wrong or right here.

omg i missed thiss

For example, one image i think of would be the one where the Vietnamese girl was running naked after her village was napalmed. I doubt she was aware she being photographed or had been asked whether it's ok to use her photo. Still it became an iconic photo. Furthermore, I don't think most PJs will carry model release forms with them everywhere they go.
    From my limited understanding, you need a model release if you are to sell the photos.

However, if you are selling it to a newspaper for publication on a story. Then, you don't need a model release.

In this case, the vietnamese girl probably belongs to this catergory.

You are right about the responsibility aspect. Everyone will react differently because everyone perceive things differently. With regards to the photo in question, you might find it offensive but the artist might not have seen it that way. To him, it might be part of a photo story that he is telling. One man's meat may just be another man's poison. Just as you are entitled to feel strongly the way you feel, the artist has the same entitlement to. There is really no wrong or right here.
    you got me wrong. it is not about perceiving. and i'm not at all offended by the picture. besides, responsibility here i'm talking is to the subjects and the social norm, not our inter-indiviudal differences on controversial issues if controversial.

i'm sure you understand there are certain shots that is not considered controversial, but can be jailed. not refering to the above example per se, just to illustrate that the whole thing cannot be simplified to saying there is no wrong or right.

for all we know we may even be agreeing on the same things, just phrased differently. if you are asking me whether it is al'rite that a certain photo draw different response from different people, i would say it all depends on the picture for some are expectedly drawing different response and some draw fairly similar response from the majority. subjectivity and taste ranges from highly variable to hardly variable from case to case. if i understand you correctly, that is what u raise but that is independent from the issue i raise.

now i think i would be unfair to make inference from your above post. so i would like to clarify further with u. does the subject matter? does the context matter? how does these two stand against the photographer's opinion on the nature of the photo himself? the above 3 question is not in regards to the subjectivity of the viewer that u raise.
    Last edited by zoossh; 15th July 2008 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by binbeto View Post
    However, if you are selling it to a newspaper for publication on a story. Then, you don't need a model release.

In this case, the vietnamese girl probably belongs to this catergory.
    i also have limited knowledge about this, and didn't know model release is not needed if selling to a newspaper. would there be difference to a tabloid, magazine or internet news??

and i think i miss the part... so she is vietnamese... guess we will only know it when a vietnamese guy come out to speak from their cultural aspect.

i also have limited knowledge about this, and didn't know model release is not needed if selling to a newspaper. would there be difference to a tabloid, magazine or internet news??

and i think i miss the part... so she is vietnamese... guess we will only know it when a vietnamese guy come out to speak from their cultural aspect.
    I am more talking about the legal part of it.. Not really cultural aspect.

From what I know, you don't need a model release if you sell it to any publications if the purpose of the photo is to tell a story.

However, say a tour agency think your travel pic is good and wanted to buy it from you to use as part of the promotion pamplet/website. Then, you need a model release.

Quote Originally Posted by binbeto View Post
    Not really cultural aspect.
    oh, the reason i raise this is becos the women's response to this is highly likely to be related to the social norm there. that is something independent of the law, although the likelihood of the model release being expected probably does depend on the person and the nationality, say between a known celebrity to a young women in uk to an old man in the streets of zimbabwe. i think it all depends on how likely is one to be sued that governs the practice. but then i'm not so concerned about the model release issue. i'm just wondering if the situation of the photo taking is appropriate enough to be shown to the open world if it is in most probability, most likely to be objectionable by the subject than it is likely not.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/19/ar...=1&oref=slogin
    i saw an article that talks about how a case was being fought retrospectively on a famous photographer who exhibited his street shots and was sued quoting some vague and non-understandable reason. fortunately, the case was won on the side of the photographer, if not if that is to propagate world wide, we will all have a hard time. the reason being given is not becos of the photographer's right but is based on the photographer's artistic merits and its cultural inheritance. that is the reason why i think the nature of the competition is being brought into perspective in regards to the contestant sending in that picture, becos that may mitigate whether the positive factors outweigh the negative.
    Last edited by zoossh; 15th July 2008 at 08:17 PM.

you got me wrong. it is not about perceiving. and i'm not at all offended by the picture. besides, responsibility here i'm talking is to the subjects and the social norm, but our interindiviudal differences on controversial issues if controversial.

i'm sure you understand there are certain shots that is not considered controversial, but can be jailed. not refering to the above example per se, just to illustrate that the whole thing cannot be simplified to saying there is no wrong or right.

for all we know we may even be agreeing on the same things, just phrased differently. if you are asking me whether it is al'rite that a certain photo draw different response from different people, i would say it all depends on the picture for some are expectedly drawing different response and some draw fairly similar response from the majority. subjectivity and taste ranges from highly variable to hardly variable from case to case. if i understand you correctly, that is what u raise but that is independent from the issue i raise.

now i think i would be unfair to make inference from your above post. so i would like to clarify further with u. does the subject matter? does the context matter? how does these two stand against the photographer's opinion on the nature of the photo himself? the above 3 question is not in regards to the subjectivity of the viewer that u raise.
    No problems. i may have inferred your response, wrongly myself. so we are now focusing should the subject and context matter with regards to the photographer opinion? Honestly, I am not sure how should I respond because I have never given these much thought. Sometimes photographer can get quite self-centered and all that matters is me getting that million dollar shot that I want/need. Taking this 3 factors, it will boil down again to what you feel more strongly for.The subject or myself? If your opinion is strong that it over-rides the other two...So maybe, it depends on what kind of a photographer or person you are?

Some people have no qualms of taking photos of people who are on the brink of death or dying. I am sure you have seen the photo where a vulture was hovering over a sickly African child. It won the PJ many awards but he took his own life later. He could have reached out to help the kid but didn't do so and that haunted him to some extent. I am not sure if I am on the right track but this is what I think I guess.

Sometimes photographer can get quite self-centered and all that matters is me getting that million dollar shot that I want/need. Taking this 3 factors, it will boil down again to what you feel more strongly for.The subject or myself? If your opinion is strong that it over-rides the other two...So maybe, it depends on what kind of a photographer or person you are?
    i'm a travel photographer. interested in other genres but probably won't be touching on them except for the brim or maybe not. photojournalist? probably not... i'm neither ready for the impact nor the weightage of documentary truth over aesthetic.

but in general, what should be practise in life would be practise in photography. one shouldn't be selfish, but should take care of himself, the same with life, the same with taking photographs.

Some people have no qualms of taking photos of people who are on the brink of death or dying. I am sure you have seen the photo where a vulture was hovering over a sickly African child. It won the PJ many awards but he took his own life later. He could have reached out to help the kid but didn't do so and that haunted him to some extent.
    oh, i know. kevin carter. i started a thread on it becos it is impactful on me to hear the sad story.

no, he did shoo away the vulture, but that is only like 20mins later the vulture make no action of attack nor opening of its wings as what he is waiting for. given in the same position, i may have done the same thing, becos it is actually inconsequential in irony to what others put it to be which is untrue. shooing the vulture away immediately, 2mins later or 20mins later makes no difference to the kid who is unaware and who is not attacked by the vulture.

and there is literally hundreds of starving people or dead corpse in his glance, and for a foreigner and just a photographer who have only touched down in sudan that day, he wouldn't be able to, or have the knowledge or resouces to help.

but then, i dun think he is one of those who have no qualms of taking photos of people who are on the brink of death or dying. he is just not that kind of people, although it seems that he does have a tendency to have depression and go suicidal. there is actually multiple dimensions to the issue - one of which is like what we are asking about the context of the picture on the contest, many concerned over his action in the incident called up the press to ask about it before the editor subsequently added on the background information. which is why it is impt to make pre-amptive explaination should there be any expected queries (like the animals in so and so movie look like they are being tortured but they are not).

for more, you can read here.
    Last edited by zoossh; 15th July 2008 at 09:16 PM.

I feel sad that people take part in such competitions with no intention of going to Sri Lanka to give aid.

Quote Originally Posted by tSkye View Post
    I feel sad that people take part in such competitions with no intention of going to Sri Lanka to give aid.
    What give you that impression?

That's just my feeling. My friend got chosen after the initial winner couldn't go.

Perhaps they genuinely have something suddenly popping up, but the sadness was the first emotion that comes to me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast