Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Basta-rd Y + R strap - Beach Road edition

Smile Re: The Basta-rd Y + R strap - Beach Road edition

i would not hang my cam with lenses on those fish gadgets thingy. it looked not robust enough.

Quote Originally Posted by darrrrrrrrrr View Post

Default Re: The Basta-rd Y + R strap - Beach Road edition

How about getting a length of the nylon strap and a buckle to make a loop at the strap slot. Then use that loop to slide along the big strap, instead of using metal attachments which can scratch/open/break

Quote Originally Posted by darrrrrrrrrr View Post

I know some of these snap swivels are rated to 20 or 50 lbs. But they still dun look sturdy enough for the camera, esp a E3. I would not feel comfortable using that snap swivel with my camera too.
    I have a near-mint Olympus E-620 Underwater Case for Sale. PM me for a great deal!

In any case, I have adapted the R strap so that it could be hung like the Y strap. After using it for a couple of days, I have decided that it really is not as good as the R strap method.

Firstly, the Y strap rings will knock and click on the camera body. Secondly, it is not quick release. Thirdly, it WILL scratch ur camera strap ring when u try to remove the ring. Finally, the most important reason, I feel that it does not come up to my eyes, especially in portrait mode, as smoothly as I would like it.

I think at the end of the day, for me, the R strap method, with the camera hanging off my right hip is the best way of carrying my camera. I no longer feel the need to carry my camera in a bag anymore. Just sling it across and go around with it. Have been able to knock off a lot of shots which I would otherwise have missed. When travelling, I usually keep the cap off, put on the hood, and leave the camera in sleep mode. When I see something I like, I grab it, bring it up to my eye, and fire off. Takes only a fraction of a second. It is amazing. I love it. BTW, it was drizzling / light rain the last few days. No problem with R strap carry method. With the 12-60 lens, I turn the camera so that the lens faces back and slightly downward. This position is stabilized basically by keep the outside of my thigh at the crook between the camera body and the camera lens. My UV filter never gets any water on it because it is pointing down slightly, and I am ready to shoot at an instant.
    Last edited by Oly5050; 21st June 2008 at 05:20 AM.
    I have a near-mint Olympus E-620 Underwater Case for Sale. PM me for a great deal!

With a longer lens, that is how I hang the camera if I have got a longer lens. U can still see the ring on the camera for adapting it to Y strap carry method which I now no longer prefer.

No problem with this carry method even in the rain with the E3 and 12-60 provided u keep the lens slightly pointed down.

Can we get the R strap in Singapore? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Derrick Lee View Post
    Can we get the R strap in Singapore? Thanks
    Buy on line and ship it back in is the only way i believe......

I hope someone will conduct MO for this hehehe......

Am I right to say that essentially the Y strap is a "cheap" alternative to the R-strap, that slings over the other shoulder?

no. i think there are fundamental differences in the way it is carried. the y may be ok dor smaller and lighter cameras. it is just that as tested with e3, the r strap is better imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Oly5050 View Post
    no. i think there are fundamental differences in the way it is carried. the y may be ok dor smaller and lighter cameras. it is just that as tested with e3, the r strap is better imho.
    From both videos, the only differences I see are:

Y-strap
    over right shoulder, camera slung on left hip
    no shoulder pad
    no quick release clip

R-strap
    over left shoulder, camera slung on right hip
    shoulder pad
    quick release hardware

Am I correct to say that?

Quote Originally Posted by Oly5050 View Post
    I know some of these snap swivels are rated to 20 or 50 lbs. But they still dun look sturdy enough for the camera, esp a E3. I would not feel comfortable using that snap swivel with my camera too.
    These you can definitely trust for up to 15kg
    Last edited by swishbrade; 23rd June 2008 at 11:21 PM.
    Stop Shopp'in Start Shoot'in
    What's in my Flickr?

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    i think the scratch will come from the rivets on the jeans(if you are wearing one).not so much so from the strap.
    and, if you are carrying a camera bag/backpack, how are you going to use this thing?

not really very practical imho.
    speaking more for te r strap, i think wit te r strap, firstly, u may find ur need to carry a bag or bagpack reduced. secondly, u wear te strap just like with any carry system, over ur bag or backpack straps. thirdly, in cold countries, if u leave ur jacket front unbuttoned, u can wear strap under the jacket. if u need to button it up, then wear strap over the jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    From both videos, the only differences I see are:

Y-strap
    over right shoulder, camera slung on left hip
    no shoulder pad
    no quick release clip

R-strap
    over left shoulder, camera slung on right hip
    shoulder pad
    quick release hardware

Am I correct to say that?
    y is at left waist, r is at right hip/buttock.

Quote Originally Posted by swishbrade View Post
    These you can definitely trust for up to 15kg
    still would not do it. i have used these snaps for big game fishing.....there are even stronger ones, but the prices go up. the idea does not sit well.....may have strength in tension but still not sturdy or strong for lomg protracted use.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12