Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Upgrading to L

  1. #1

    Default Upgrading to L

    Thinking of upgrading my current walk around kit lens 17-85 to either

    24-105mm f4L USM IS ~$1400

    OR

    24-70 f2.8L USM ~$1750

    which would be the better choice and worthy of value? Feel free to recommend if there's alternate upgrade i should consider~ thanks!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Upgrading to L

    Sure you won't miss the wide end?
    What do you like to shoot?
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

  3. #3
    Member MarkTan89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Boon Keng
    Posts
    591

    Default Re: Upgrading to L

    It all depends on what conditions you shoot most in. If you shoot often in dim conditions, the constant f/2.8 aperture of the EF 24-70L would be a better choice. The EF 24-105/4L IS undoubtedly has a versatile range for a walkabout lens in the day. However if working in dim conditions, a external flashgun might be required.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Serangoon North
    Posts
    2,225

    Default Re: Upgrading to L

    Do note that the 24-70 is a big and heavy lens. Add in the hood and it's not really a good walk around lens. 24-105 is lighter but due to the F4, not suitable for dim condition unless you are using external flash. For 1.6x crop cameras, the 17-55 IS is the best because of the F2.8, IS and the 17mm wide end. Good for landscape and walkaround. Get another 50mm or 85mm for portraits and you are all set. If and when you upgrade to FF, just sell and get the Ls.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,502

    Default Re: Upgrading to L

    Keep the 17-85 for wide angle.
    If you shoot mainly street go for 24-105mm f4 L USM IS.
    But if you do model shoot often get the 24-70mm f2.8 L USM.

    Happy buying...

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Upgrading to L

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenstars08 View Post
    Keep the 17-85 for wide angle.
    If you shoot mainly street go for 24-105mm f4 L USM IS.
    But if you do model shoot often get the 24-70mm f2.8 L USM.

    Happy buying...
    For portraitures, a prime is preferred.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Upgrading to L

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    For portraitures, a prime is preferred.
    OR consider this combination: 17-40mm f/4 L, 70-200mm f/4 L, 50mm f/1.2 L, 580EX II.
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Serangoon North
    Posts
    2,225

    Default Re: Upgrading to L

    Or 16-35L F2.8 + 24-70L F2.8 + 70-200 F2.8 IS + 85L

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Upgrading to L

    Quote Originally Posted by adamadam View Post
    OR consider this combination: 17-40mm f/4 L, 70-200mm f/4 L, 50mm f/1.2 L, 580EX II.
    Haha....dunno y u always have to pick on me.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,502

    Default Re: Upgrading to L

    Prime for portraitures.
    Which prime?
    EF 85 F/1.2 L II...
    Last edited by Goldenstars08; 18th June 2008 at 07:59 PM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Upgrading to L

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenstars08 View Post
    Prime for portraitures.
    Which prime?
    EF 85 F/1.2 L II...
    can also be any of the other 85mm and 50mm lenses.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Upgrading to L

    Hi, guys! thanks for the reply! I'll go do some research and time about it again.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    West side of S'pore
    Posts
    5,528

    Default Re: Upgrading to L

    Quote Originally Posted by adamadam View Post
    OR consider this combination: 17-40mm f/4 L, 70-200mm f/4 L, 50mm f/1.2 L, 580EX II.
    You forgot: plus 5D.

    Anyways, on a more serious note to TS: you need to ask yourself this question first: what do you feel merits the need to upgrade to an L series lens? Do you need the better build? Image quality? Sharpness? Do think about it 1st before dumping the cash.

    Remember: wants and needs are two different things.
    Last edited by Garion; 19th June 2008 at 02:26 PM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Upgrading to L

    Quote Originally Posted by Garion View Post
    You forgot: plus 5D.

    Anyways, on a more serious note to TS: you need to ask yourself this question first: what do you feel merits the need to upgrade to an L series lens? Do you need the better build? Image quality? Sharpness? Do think about it 1st before dumping the cash.

    Remember: wants and needs are two different things.
    5D is in 2 weeks time For me all my equipment are needs, i never buy 'wants' hehe.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Upgrading to L

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    Haha....dunno y u always have to pick on me.
    Not picking on you, you have a good selection of gear that suit your needs

    But the f/1.2 lens isn't a need if you stop it down
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Upgrading to L

    Quote Originally Posted by adamadam View Post
    Not picking on you, you have a good selection of gear that suit your needs

    But the f/1.2 lens isn't a need if you stop it down
    Honestly i seldom use at the f/1.2 end, usually f/2 at the most. But no choice cos the 50mm L doesn't have a smaller aperture one.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Upgrading to L

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    Honestly i seldom use at the f/1.2 end, usually f/2 at the most. But no choice cos the 50mm L doesn't have a smaller aperture one.
    Eh, so then is it want or need? Don't need f/1.2 what, so why is there a *need* for L?

  18. #18

    Default Re: Upgrading to L

    ANYWAY, back on topic
    What conditions do you want to shoot at Edwinlimlx?
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Upgrading to L

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Eh, so then is it want or need? Don't need f/1.2 what, so why is there a *need* for L?
    That's the point. If Canon has a 50mm f/2L i'd rather get that cos it'll save me more money. I need L for its contrast, that's y i upgraded all my lenses to L.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,502

    Default Re: Upgrading to L

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    That's the point. If Canon has a 50mm f/2L i'd rather get that cos it'll save me more money. I need L for its contrast, that's y i upgraded all my lenses to L.
    Me too...Love the colour of L...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •