Thread: Online Photography Course...Good or Bad??

Default Online Photography Course...Good or Bad??

Hi, Anyone tried attending a Online Photography Course? Is it good? Worth the money?? (Tyically about US$180-US$200 ). I was looking at www.ppsop.com by Bryan Peterson. The topics look interesting... anyone tried this before? Please feedback... Thanks.

Default Re: Online Photography Course...Good or Bad??

Quote Originally Posted by King Kong View Post
    Hi, Anyone tried attending a Online Photography Course? Is it good? Worth the money?? (Tyically about US$180-US$200 ). I was looking at www.ppsop.com by Bryan Peterson. The topics look interesting... anyone tried this before? Please feedback... Thanks.
    NO GOOD!
    You learn faster by shooting more and posting your pic here for comment.
    Go out shooting with your friends and share opinion with each other.
    Don't waste money and time on those "Online Photography Course".

Quote Originally Posted by expro View Post
    NO GOOD!
    You learn faster by shooting more and posting your pic here for comment.
    Go out shooting with your friends and share opinion with each other.
    Don't waste money and time on those "Online Photography Course".
    You are assuming that friends and folks here have more knowledge than the instructors on the online course, this might not necessary be true. i would suggest that the TS take a look at the instructors on the website and do some checking himself on google on the folks who have experienced the online course and judge for himself.

I think more fun to learn and experiment from oneself or to practice with friends

Worth it too subjective, and hard to say. If it accelerates ur learning process and you feel good, then u might think it is worth it.

Ryan

read up yourself, be critical of yourself, and you will get better. end of story.

tis like tuition today. is it necessary? no. is it costly? yes. but do you really need it to learn? no.

If you are taking photography for fun, i think experimenting is the fun part. If you want to accelerate, maybe on-line course would help.

Tution? I don't need to pass and score for exam in photography so mom won't scold me hor....haha
    FM2 & Nikormat

well i have tried online courses on my third language, expensive tapes and cds with books which gurantees fluency but after 7 months, i realised i was wasting my time. It is true the materials were all thoughtfully prepared for all levels of learners and the information were definitely enriching, there was no one to practise with me. In the end i checked myself into a language centre and not only did I meet new friends who had the same interest as me and thus we met often to practise and even through msn we chatted with the textbook next to us, I actually started to become proficient in it! it only took 3 months+ =)

we can all learn from websites and online applications and books and tapes
    but we learn best when we are amongst like-minded friends =)

cheers

I believe all courses, online or otherwise, is useful. Unless of course they are so badly designed, and implemented.

There are few courses that one cannot learn from.

However, whether it is worth putting your money in these courses is another matter. Whether there is a better way to learn or spend your money is another matter. But I think to say that they are no good is a little extreme.

When it comes to learning anything, nothing beats human contact, direct discussions. For that kind of money, you might as well go for lessons conducted by Photographic Soc of S'pore, Objectifs, or SAFRA.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

I take an on-line course every year (for 3 years in a row now). I also take courses with knowledge bowl and Phil Date.

I get a different book out of the library every weekend and buy all the mags.

I love the on-line courses because you meet lots of ppl from all around the world, every one sees my photos from a fresh perspective and I get honest and professional critques.

Every one eager to trade their info and I have learnt so much on a variety of subjects.

I use "better photo" who use Jim Zuckerman (Bryan Patterson use to be with them) because I think their lay out is slick and more professional.

Quote Originally Posted by Manda View Post
    I take an on-line course every year (for 3 years in a row now). I also take courses with knowledge bowl and Phil Date.

I get a different book out of the library every weekend and buy all the mags.

I love the on-line courses because you meet lots of ppl from all around the world, every one sees my photos from a fresh perspective and I get honest and professional critques.

Every one eager to trade their info and I have learnt so much on a variety of subjects.

I use "better photo" who use Jim Zuckerman (Bryan Patterson use to be with them) because I think their lay out is slick and more professional.
    Wow, I can see the workshops put into good use. Your Flickr photos are great. I think all you need to do is find a style you're comfy to work with. You've already gotten all the skills I think.