View Poll Results: Does composition matter anymore?

Voters
412. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'd take the efforts to ensure I have both sound technical basics and composition.

    341 82.77%
  • Nah, photography is an art, those who can't understand my pictures aren't artistic.

    42 10.19%
  • What is composition?

    6 1.46%
  • I rather hang out with my friends/buddies, taking pictures is just a by-product.

    8 1.94%
  • Other (please comment)

    15 3.64%
Page 1 of 8 1236 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 157

Thread: Does Composition Matter Anymore?

  1. #1
    Member Taurean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    White Elephants Town
    Posts
    1,700

    Default Does Composition Matter Anymore?

    With DSLRs becoming so affordable, it seems like every other Tom Dick Sally and Wendy gets the impression that any photo is art, so no need to bother with ANYTHING. It is scary to see some of the pictures being posted, more pathetic to see how the thread starters may not even care about honest comments given in the spirit of helping them improve. So, just want to get an idea -

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    1,478

    Default Re: Does Composition Matter Anymore?

    dont be surprise that some ppl even dare post their snap shots taken with a dslr over here in some of the sub forums.
    composition comes with yrs of knowledge and experience to get it right.
    i know one of my sis friends use a d80 for snapshots of herself !
    Last edited by Simon_84; 16th June 2008 at 10:29 AM.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Re: Does Composition Matter Anymore?

    sometimes too lazy to upload.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Does Composition Matter Anymore?

    What is snap shots?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Does Composition Matter Anymore?

    Even on digital it is very important. Resolution affects the quality of the prints, and a lot of dslr cannot do good large prints compares to film. Imo composition is actually more important since you are working with lower resolution.

    Just my 2c.

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
    Posts
    8,242

    Default Re: Does Composition Matter Anymore?

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon_84 View Post
    how about this ?
    [link deleted]
    That ain't a nice thing to do le
    Last edited by ortega; 16th June 2008 at 10:45 AM.

  7. #7
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Does Composition Matter Anymore?

    i agree, that was not very nice and uncivil

    infraction given
    and link deleted

  8. #8
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default Re: Does Composition Matter Anymore?

    hmmm... composition first n foremost for me!!

    ROAR!!!
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  9. #9
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Does Composition Matter Anymore?

    Quote Originally Posted by Taurean View Post
    With DSLRs becoming so affordable, it seems like every other Tom Dick Sally and Wendy gets the impression that any photo is art, so no need to bother with ANYTHING. It is scary to see some of the pictures being posted, more pathetic to see how the thread starters may not even care about honest comments given in the spirit of helping them improve. So, just want to get an idea -
    Art is subjective ma

    But as to accepting critics is something else altogether. Different people react differently and take things differently. That cannot help. But the way of delivering and wording feedback itself is an art as well.

    As to composition, if there is non, then what is photography.

    Ryan

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Eastern Singapore
    Posts
    51

    Default Re: Does Composition Matter Anymore?

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    i agree, that was not very nice and uncivil

    infraction given
    and link deleted
    Now i'm curious! What did he do? What does the link show?

    Anyway back to topic, I think composition is the most important thing. equipment you can buy, techniques you can learn but composition, I guess, comes with practice and experience. some people just have that natural ability to see/compose a good shot, something which I'm still learning.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Does Composition Matter Anymore?

    It depends on who the photographer is. A picture of an excrement taken by a famous photographer can be called a masterpiece of art, while one taken by a nobody is just an sh1tty photograph.



    Quote Originally Posted by Taurean View Post
    With DSLRs becoming so affordable, it seems like every other Tom Dick Sally and Wendy gets the impression that any photo is art, so no need to bother with ANYTHING. It is scary to see some of the pictures being posted, more pathetic to see how the thread starters may not even care about honest comments given in the spirit of helping them improve. So, just want to get an idea -

  12. #12
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ClubSNAP community
    Posts
    2,775

    Default Re: Does Composition Matter Anymore?

    Surprised, to see such a poll from you, Taurean.

    Even more surprised to see the results (as of time of this post). More like a "right answer to give" responses?

    From a personal standpoint, I'd feel it still matters. Moreso in this generation of instant gratification and high-tech. And whether pro or otherwise, the need for some sense of composition is just as necessary.

    But, whether it matters anymore, that will be on the shoulders of each snap-happy individual. If I base it on the crowds I get for my outings these last 6 months, it'd probably not matter to most of them. Most of them are more interested in buying new gears than making decent pictures. And I mean decent. Sad to say, all that instant gratification mentality nowadays does produce more camera-toting snappers.

    Well, I hardly want to bother with the bulk of the nonsense pictures appearing on most forums nowadays. The general trend in attitudes is really not worth time nor effort.

    I do also wonder why so little bother to select the grouping option.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Does Composition Matter Anymore?

    Quote Originally Posted by Azure View Post
    Surprised, to see such a poll from you, Taurean.

    Even more surprised to see the results (as of time of this post). More like a "right answer to give" responses?

    From a personal standpoint, I'd feel it still matters. Moreso in this generation of instant gratification and high-tech. And whether pro or otherwise, the need for some sense of composition is just as necessary.

    But, whether it matters anymore, that will be on the shoulders of each snap-happy individual. If I base it on the crowds I get for my outings these last 6 months, it'd probably not matter to most of them. Most of them are more interested in buying new gears than making decent pictures. And I mean decent. Sad to say, all that instant gratification mentality nowadays does produce more camera-toting snappers.

    Well, I hardly want to bother with the bulk of the nonsense pictures appearing on most forums nowadays. The general trend in attitudes is really not worth time nor effort.

    I do also wonder why so little bother to select the grouping option.

    What would you do, since you mentioned that the general trend in attitudes is not worth your time nor effort?

  14. #14
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ClubSNAP community
    Posts
    2,775

    Default Re: Does Composition Matter Anymore?

    Quote Originally Posted by lafemmenikita89 View Post
    What would you do, since you mentioned that the general trend in attitudes is not worth your time nor effort?
    Simple. Find like-minded good people to share with and learn from.

    And what of yourself? Does the issue of composition matter to you, are you irked by the increasing absence of it, or are you happy enough staying a rut, as many seem content to be?

  15. #15

    Default Re: Does Composition Matter Anymore?

    sorry to OT slightly. In my opinion, it is not just about composition but the overall photography technic is still very important to the world of professional and the serious armature photographers.

    Take golf for example, Tiger Woods makes golf swing appearing so simple that he gives all the golfers a wrong impression that they can swing like Tiger Woods. But in reality, only a very rare few could achieve the swings that close to him, as consistent, hitting as far as he is.

    Digital photography is just the same as golf game. To some, they continue to hone and improve their photography skills. Some just dream to be like Tiger Wood but never bother the basic, but after a while they give up upon realizing the reality. Yet many others like me, play golf once in a while, have fun, catch up with friend, any swing will do, does not matter the outcome, more importantly, we laugh at each other , enjoy the game and have fun.

    At times Tiger may hit some swing out of ordinary, but the swings are still as beautiful and the outcome are still as impressive. So is photography, I do see some pictures which did not following any conventional guidelines, but are as awesome.

    So would Tiger Woods give up his training and golf as his career because of many lousy golfers?

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    S'pore
    Posts
    373

    Default Re: Does Composition Matter Anymore?

    Quote Originally Posted by CT 3833 View Post
    At times Tiger may hit some swing out of ordinary, but the swings are still as beautiful and the outcome are still as impressive.
    results matter most! who care if u dun compose, suck technically, and missed the moment but somehow still manage to get shot that works? lomo anyone?

    i once went bowling with a colleague who swing the ball horribly, but he consistently get above 200pts!

    of coz u get higher chances if u do all 3, and people will look at your pic and appreciate that u were fully in control

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    In exile
    Posts
    457

    Default Re: Does Composition Matter Anymore?

    The question is not whether composition matters or not. Most photographers know and will agree that it is one of, if not, the most important aspect of photography.

    The only difference is some does it better than others. Some can only try and copy what others can create.

  18. #18
    Member Taurean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    White Elephants Town
    Posts
    1,700

    Default Re: Does Composition Matter Anymore?

    Tiger Woods is a pro, he plays his own game.... doesn't really need to bother with the weekend casual golfer and hence most pros will not bother.


    Quote Originally Posted by CT 3833 View Post
    sorry to OT slightly. In my opinion, it is not just about composition but the overall photography technic is still very important to the world of professional and the serious armature photographers.

    Take golf for example, Tiger Woods makes golf swing appearing so simple that he gives all the golfers a wrong impression that they can swing like Tiger Woods. But in reality, only a very rare few could achieve the swings that close to him, as consistent, hitting as far as he is.

    Digital photography is just the same as golf game. To some, they continue to hone and improve their photography skills. Some just dream to be like Tiger Wood but never bother the basic, but after a while they give up upon realizing the reality. Yet many others like me, play golf once in a while, have fun, catch up with friend, any swing will do, does not matter the outcome, more importantly, we laugh at each other , enjoy the game and have fun.

    At times Tiger may hit some swing out of ordinary, but the swings are still as beautiful and the outcome are still as impressive. So is photography, I do see some pictures which did not following any conventional guidelines, but are as awesome.

    So would Tiger Woods give up his training and golf as his career because of many lousy golfers?

  19. #19

    Default Re: Does Composition Matter Anymore?

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Lee View Post
    It depends on who the photographer is. A picture of an excrement taken by a famous photographer can be called a masterpiece of art, while one taken by a nobody is just an sh1tty photograph.

    So it becomes a masterpiece because the famous photographer thinks about composition? or Just because of his reputation?

  20. #20
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,651

    Default Re: Does Composition Matter Anymore?

    The way I see it. Many are just contented trotting around with a professional looking camera in hand. Photos are just a by-product. They savor every moment the shutter clicks not because they know an outstanding photo had been created but in appreciation of the clinical mechanical movements their cameras are capable of.

    They take pictures of newspaper and rulers just to make sure their "investments" are flawless and well worth the money. Threatening to buy newer cameras and lenses from rival brands if whatever they own do not perform up to their "stringent standards". They sulk at comments targetted at their photos (with the exception of "good job, well done, whatever) because then they realise that their cameras and lenses are no long good enough for them but would recover in no time because they have an excuse for the latest and greatest yet again.

    Taping up every single inch of their investments because a microscopic hair would send them ballistic. They take pride in selling a 3 year old mint conditioned camera. Reason for selling? "Haven't used the camera much so I'm selling it to raise money for the next great in line". Sounds familiar?

    Composition is not something that comes to mind when I see them.
    Last edited by Kit; 16th June 2008 at 09:35 PM.

Page 1 of 8 1236 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •