Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41

Thread: How do Singaporean Pronounce Moet & Chardon?

  1. #21

    Default Re: How do Singaporean Pronounce Moet & Chardon?

    ahahahahahahahakakakakakakakakakaarrrrrrrrgggggggg ggg

    damn funny sia!!!! baguuuussss!!!


    Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    Come on..admit it..
    I know Singaporeans have problem pronouncing "Three" and "Tree".
    Let along Mo-ay(t) et Sha-don

    You know why I brought this up, because I feel like a kuku for not being able to pronounce "Merlot" in ang moh restaurant.
    When I took over the Wine list, I go for the shortest and simplest wine (Mer-lot).
    Me: I want mer-lot.
    Waitress: Mair-Law?
    Me: Nope, I want me-lot.
    Waitress: Milo?
    End up having to use my pen to circle the "Merlot" for the waitress.

    Important lesson learnt:

    When in French restaurant, must know at least how to pronounce "Cabernet Sauvignon" and "Pinot Noir"
    When in Italy restaurant, must know how to pronounce "Fettuccine" and "Lasagne".

    Like that people will think you very up class, even if you don't anything about wine or fine food.

  2. #22

    Default Re: How do Singaporean Pronounce Moet & Chardon?

    Quote Originally Posted by antacid View Post
    the singaporean way for moet is: "this one. the $68 one" accompanied by stubby finger stabbing at the wine list.
    ((=
    Cheers... You're the winner, you have made a perfect description of a typical Singaporean.

  3. #23

    Default Re: How do Singaporean Pronounce Moet & Chardon?

    Quote Originally Posted by antacid View Post
    the singaporean way for moet is: "this one. the $68 one" accompanied by stubby finger stabbing at the wine list.
    ((=
    Actually this is what I do. Personally, I don't really know how to pronounce words well, that doesn't mean I do not understand what the words are.

    People should not make fun of this.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: How do Singaporean Pronounce Moet & Chardon?

    Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    So... How does Singaporean pronounce Moet & Chardon?
    A Hokkien Peng will pronounce it "M ka Si".

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: How do Singaporean Pronounce Moet & Chardon?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    A Hokkien Peng will pronounce it "M ka Si".
    & the restaurant will serve you just the empty bottle!

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    316

    Default Re: How do Singaporean Pronounce Moet & Chardon?

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    then best go French restaurant when got runny nose, you'll sound as French as you can possibly be!
    Nope.. nasal sounds in french needs some sounds to come out THROUGH the nose. Practically, if you have runny nose, you can't speak french.

  7. #27

    Default Re: How do Singaporean Pronounce Moet & Chardon?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    A Hokkien Peng will pronounce it "M ka Si".
    I think our Hokkien Peng standard is higher now... can say " M & C"

    So many of them wearing super Big "D & G" belt on the road.

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    In Paradise
    Posts
    546

    Default Re: How do Singaporean Pronounce Moet & Chardon?

    Was at the Chandon winery in Yarra Valley and was told that the correct way to pronounce "Moet" is with the 't'... as in "Mo-ate"....

    Reason being the origins of the the Moet founder Claude Moet was Dutch and not French. Hence there is no silent "t".....

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    316

    Default Re: How do Singaporean Pronounce Moet & Chardon?

    Quote Originally Posted by NitroTech View Post
    Was at the Chandon winery in Yarra Valley and was told that the correct way to pronounce "Moet" is with the 't'... as in "Mo-ate"....

    Reason being the origins of the the Moet founder Claude Moet was Dutch and not French. Hence there is no silent "t".....
    Ahhh.. I found the problem. The correct writing is Mot. See the little two dots above the character "e"? This is called the Trema, and the function is to separate two vowels which comes together. Thus, the pronounciation would be "mo-eh". Must be careful in writing french, since lack or wrongly placed sign will result in a totally wrong pronounciation.

    Claude Mot is dutch, that is correct. But the family name of Mot is actually french, since it was a replacement of his actual family name which was LeClerc. The name Mot was a gift from the king of France (Charles VII) for his anchestor's dedication to the french king.

    Btw, in Dutch "oo" pronounced the same as in "book" or "shoe". Thus, Moet should be pronounced "MooT" if it was a dutch name...

    Thus I think we can close this thread
    Last edited by voldisinarta; 18th June 2008 at 12:19 PM.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: How do Singaporean Pronounce Moet & Chardon?

    Quote Originally Posted by voldisinarta View Post
    Nope.. nasal sounds in french needs some sounds to come out THROUGH the nose. Practically, if you have runny nose, you can't speak french.
    really ah, i better not try mimic their accent. wait they thought i got difficulty breathing!

  11. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    316

    Default Re: How do Singaporean Pronounce Moet & Chardon?

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    really ah, i better not try mimic their accent. wait they thought i got difficulty breathing!
    Oh, I think you should try to mimic french accent when you speak to a cute french girl... Who knows she might give you a mouth to mouth resuscitation

  12. #32

    Default Re: How do Singaporean Pronounce Moet & Chardon?

    Quote Originally Posted by voldisinarta View Post
    Ahhh.. I found the problem. The correct writing is Mot. See the little two dots above the character "e"? This is called the Trema, and the function is to separate two vowels which comes together. Thus, the pronounciation would be "mo-eh". Must be careful in writing french, since lack or wrongly placed sign will result in a totally wrong pronounciation.

    Claude Mot is dutch, that is correct. But the family name of Mot is actually french, since it was a replacement of his actual family name which was LeClerc. The name Mot was a gift from the king of France (Charles VII) for his anchestor's dedication to the french king.

    Btw, in Dutch "oo" pronounced the same as in "book" or "shoe". Thus, Moet should be pronounced "MooT" if it was a dutch name...

    Thus I think we can close this thread
    It is very interest to know, this is one good about forum discussion.

    Close this thread?? I am not sure if Nitro Tech has any thing to add.
    He has been to the ground and the ground people told him/her other wise.

    Last edited by Silence Sky; 19th June 2008 at 11:04 PM.

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Volcano Land
    Posts
    2,351

    Default Re: How do Singaporean Pronounce Moet & Chardon?

    You can also...

    Me: Could you recommend me a wine?
    Waitress: gdskhsdglhsdtozzjte
    Me: Ok.


  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    In Paradise
    Posts
    546

    Default Re: How do Singaporean Pronounce Moet & Chardon?

    Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    It is very interest to know, this is one good about forum discussion.

    Close this thread?? I am not sure if Nitro Tech has any thing to add.
    He has been to the ground and the ground people told him/her other wise.

    hehe.... No lah got nothing to add..... Then again, the vineyard I went to was not the one in Champagne but the one at Yarra Valley (Domaine Chandon).... so maybe the guys there were not sure as well...

  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    In Paradise
    Posts
    546

    Default Re: How do Singaporean Pronounce Moet & Chardon?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mo%C3%ABt_et_Chandon


    So which is right???? i'm confused.....


    "Various pronunciations of Mot exist, including 'Mo-way', 'Mow-ee' and 'Mow-ett'.[3] However, according to any French dictionary it is pronounced without a "t", with the exception of it being following by a vowel. i.e. in Mot et Chandon it is pronounced 'Mo-wett'.

    The "French pronunciation" argument above, whilst often used, is a distraction from the real reason that 'Mo-wett' is the correct pronunciation. Claude Mot founded the champagne house in 1743. He, although French, had a Dutch name, and therefore the hard "t" is pronounced"

  16. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Beyond Space-Time Continuum
    Posts
    6,324

    Default Re: How do Singaporean Pronounce Moet & Chardon?

    Moi Ai Shan den

  17. #37
    ClubSNAP Idol Adam Goi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    5,682

    Default Re: How do Singaporean Pronounce Moet & Chardon?

    Smart ones will probably just say M C ...

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Deep Deep in the sea
    Posts
    3,409

    Default Re: How do Singaporean Pronounce Moet & Chardon?

    Morkarcheng N Chendo

  19. #39
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: How do Singaporean Pronounce Moet & Chardon?

    Meehun and Coconut juice.

  20. #40

    Default Re: How do Singaporean Pronounce Moet & Chardon?

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Goi View Post
    Smart ones will probably just say M C ...
    say M-C or M-See at Kopitiam and you will get Milo C or Milo See (Milo with Carnation Milk) like Kopi-C or Teh-C?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •