Thread: As Close a Color managed monitor!

Default As Close a Color managed monitor!

Hi I'm using window, look for a good and not too expensive monitor.

Just a thought, which monitor for the general consumers market when without using a color calibration device is as close to a well calibrated color manage monitor.
    Generally I believe using a calibration device is the best, but not likely to invest on it for the next year or so, so now I'm looking for a 22' or 24' dell / view sonic / Samsung monitor for Photoshop purpose to be as accurate in color as possible before I can save up enough to buy an eye-one or a spyder.

Hope someone can advise and give a recommendation on this.

Thanks.

Default Re: As Close a Color managed monitor!

In my opinion, running Adobe Gamma that comes with Photoshop should bring your monitor close enough to a calibrated monitor for general use. Requires some practice to set the gamma right for the 3 channels, but it is not very difficult.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Default Re: As Close a Color managed monitor!

Quote Originally Posted by roygoh View Post
    In my opinion, running Adobe Gamma that comes with Photoshop should bring your monitor close enough to a calibrated monitor for general use. Requires some practice to set the gamma right for the 3 channels, but it is not very difficult.
    Far from close... There's another utility which does similar calibration which requires you to squint and compare the colours... http://www.hex2bit.com/products/product_mcw.asp

End of the day, hardware calibrators are still _much_ more accurate. Don't let software calibrators give you a false sense of confidence, certain monitors are better off when left uncalibrated than calibrated with software calibrators such as these.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 19th June 2008 at 11:26 AM.