Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Portable storage while travelling

Default Re: Portable storage while travelling

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    thing is, you shouldn't be romping around with your hard disk in your bag.

what my concern is more of loss of the media itself, rather than data loss, etc. these are unavoidable when they happen, and are entirely up to chance, etc. how often have you dropped your hard disk or sd card? i haven't ever dropped any, and it's been more than a year for both.

like i say, if you lose your camera bag, at least you have the pictures so far taken back in the hotel room. if someone breaks in and steals that, then you must be one unlucky guy, and should just go and buy 4d.
    yeap. then it makes more sense to get a portable HD.

but then again, there are other ways to lost your precious pictures, like a fail HD. So getting a portable harddisk may hedge against physical lost of media but the media itself may be lost in another way.

anyway, i'm not against getting portable media. Just to highlight some points which have been overlooked.

I've seen people getting backups for backups for backups. but in the end, all the backups fail. And then it's endless cursing and swearing.

For me, unless it's worth million dollars, otherwise lost... lost lor. yeah, it sucks initially. but the feeling goes away after a while.

I actually change the harddisk within my OTG harddisk setup twice for different trips ( not because they failed , but i am worry they might for the nxt trip ) . My July trip I will be changing another harddisk again ( got a few sitting at home now )

But of course with one harddisk the worry of it crashing on me is always there.
    Maybe I should get a spare to synchronise everytime i check back the hotel

Like what Gizmore mentioned. It is how much you are willing to invest in the whole idea of data redundancy on the trip.

Ryan

I bought a 250Gb photo bank hdd at IT show for 149$ only. can transfer all sort of memory card without PC.

Try you luck here, if they still offering.. Achieva 67495832.

call me paranoid but i prob wont buy 1 32gb card and use it for the whole trip. using 4 * 8gb card is prob safer in case card get corrupted/spoil or accidentally formatted. I think portable storage is useful as u can do immediate backup, which may be helpful. Also, usually they have larger LCD which helps in review.

For me, I got myself Everun last year which is as small as a PSP but has 60GB storage and runs on Windows XP and weights less than 500g. I kept it together with my camera bag during my travel. I also carry a 60GB 1.8" harddisk as secondary backup which is also very small and portable.

You can check trendsmobile website for their products. They have a new UMPC - WiBrain which runs faster than the Everun. Everun is a bit slow in viewing pictures but excellent for backup. Can use to surf the internet using wifi anywhere, anytime.

Price is ex but the convenient is priceless.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, any solution if I wanted to utilize my ipod? I heard about Belkin CF reader few years back but I believe the review is not that good (then). Any new CF reader introduce recently?

Quote Originally Posted by dhyk2008 View Post
    Hi

I think you have missed the point about backup the data, can your memory cards do backup?
    Bring a card reader is for you to view the photos, but still is not backup and carry a cd-R and DVD-R must trouble than a HDD, beside you may need to install software to copy your photos to CD.
    Agreed, for me I won't delete the pictures from SD/CF but simply copy it to the HDD for backup. HDD can fail (and so is SD/CF) but the probability for both fail/lost at the same time is smaller versus if you only have one media ..

I just bought the Vosonic 8860 from Eastgear's Justin a moment ago. I was considering between Eee pc900 and the 8860, at the end I went with the former because I just feel that the speed and ease of use is more important, the device can backup and review on the fly....as simple as that

i think eee pc is not so good as limited hard disk space iirc and also no memory card slot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12