Thread: seagate 500gig open = 465gig!?!?!?

Default seagate 500gig open = 465gig!?!?!?

wow guys just bought my first Hdd which is the 500gb Seagate Desktop 3.5" HDD from the IT Show. it states 500gb on the box and in the Seagate web. when i run the drive my pc only rates it at 465gig.... wtf i lugi 35gb?!?!?!

i suppose the standard is 1gb = appx 1024mb?

shouldn't i be getting 512000mb instead of 500105mb??

anyone who bought the Western Digital Hdd's from the IT fair encountered this?
    Last edited by keast; 14th June 2008 at 10:04 PM. Reason: o ok realised even for stuff like mp3/thumbdrives their 1gb = appx 1000mb. got it
    :devil:Flick Her

Default Re: seagate 500gig open = 465gig!?!?!?

That is perfectly normal, no one is out to cheat you.

Read here http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.js...00dd04090aRCRD

it's like that.....no worries.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Dont worry about it. Just that its "scary" because the bigger you buy the more you "loose"
    Meow!

aiyo, this is perfectly alright, dun scare urself. they indeed have that 500gb onboard, but dun forget that the HDD itself needs some memory for its own "system" and etc to run... furthermore, if i nt wrong, loaded with a prog called ceedo, correct me if i'm wrong. if u got a thumbdrive, go take a look at it, surely u dun get that full memory stated, the figure is only approximate, take as ref only...

Quote Originally Posted by evo-lution View Post
    aiyo, this is perfectly alright, dun scare urself. they indeed have that 500gb onboard, but dun forget that the HDD itself needs some memory for its own "system" and etc to run... furthermore, if i nt wrong, loaded with a prog called ceedo, correct me if i'm wrong. if u got a thumbdrive, go take a look at it, surely u dun get that full memory stated, the figure is only approximate, take as ref only...
    the main thing is just to them 1, 000, 000, 000 btyes = 1 gb x 500 = 500gb
    but in actual formating scenario is 500, 000, 000, 000 / 1024 / 1024 / 1024 to get 465 gig..

i think this kind of "problem" exist long ago already.. donno why they still calculate this way..

But I guess it's better to not let your customer feel short-changed, no matter how right or wrong they are.

Quote Originally Posted by AReality View Post
    But I guess it's better to not let your customer feel short-changed, no matter how right or wrong they are.

boot sectors and paging files reserved these spaces i'm thinking. i have the 320gb version..its a life saver.

yea.. bytes was always to be measured in binary. why should the disc manufacturers use decimal system.

Quote Originally Posted by keast View Post
    ...... states 500gb on the box and in the Seagate web. when i run the drive my pc only rates it at 465gig.... wtf i lugi 35gb?!?!?!

i suppose the standard is 1gb = appx 1024mb?

shouldn't i be getting 512000mb instead of 500105mb?? ....
    If the drive is left unformatted, you'll get your 500G, physically.

Whatever you lost after formatting, you can blame Microsoft for it, if you are using Microsoft.

Its like living in a house/apt. The actual physical land area may be 1000sf. That is if you don't built anything on it. No walls, nothing. Now if you really go around yr apt/house measuring the real floor area, I'll bet my last cents that you wouldn't be getting the original 1000sf. Your walls itself prob take up at least 1% of the land area depending on the total amount of rooms in it.

So cool it ..... no one is cheating you

hehe yea got it bros

went to plug in my thumbdrive n mp3 player realized its the same. all read to be lower than the 'advertised' volume

i wondered the they used decimal to count binary in the first place thou

lol cant imagine if i got the 1Tb version. for that larger amount that i 'lugi' i might probably go berserk

cheers!
    :devil:Flick Her

coz of ceedo i think. ceedo quite useful.

Technically no one is cheating you. But you see the harddisk manufacturer counts GB by 1000 x 1000 x 1000 but Microsoft being extra, counts the correct way 1024 x 1024 x 1024, so the discrepancy. Formatting loss very little, possibly only 100MB.

Its written on the box anyway, so its not even falsely advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by kkcharles82 View Post
    Technically no one is cheating you. But you see the harddisk manufacturer counts GB by 1000 x 1000 x 1000 but Microsoft being extra, counts the correct way 1024 x 1024 x 1024, so the discrepancy. Formatting loss very little, possibly only 100MB.
    Microsoft is not extra .. at least not is this regard. All Operating Systems count in binary units and not in decimal units. Therefore, only the marketing departments of the storage vendors are to blame. The moment you put the disk into your computer you'll see what's really available. Depending on OS and file system type you will have additional space consumed for internal organization.
    For Windows: you might also want to check the Trash Bin settings. The defaults are to keep a certain percentage of each harddisk as Trash Bin space, files are not deleted but shifted to this area so that they can be restored from the Trash Bin. AFAIK this is only used for internal HDDs but not for Removable Storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Microsoft is not extra .. at least not is this regard. All Operating Systems count in binary units and not in decimal units.
    The result of counting doesn't depend which base you use. However, in computer circles, it is customary to use unit prefixes wrong, to the extent that a lot of people seem to believe that actually those who use them correctly are wrong.

1 kSomething = 1000 Something
    1 MSomething = 1000000 Something
    1 GSomething = 1000000000 Something
    (and 1 mSomething = 0.001 Something - a favorite when specifying processor clock frequencies).

If you want to argue, the HD manufacturers could point out that you get more than what you bargained for, since they graciously give you 8-bit bytes instead of e.g. 6-bit bytes. (Contrary to common wisdom, a "byte" is a platform-dependent quantity. Internet standards refer for this reason to "octets".)