Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3678

Thread: A challenge to all, to make our Portrait Forum second to none!

Default Re: A challenge to all, to make our Portrait Forum second to none!

What i see from the past one week in CS P/P section, more and more good photos had been posted. Hopefully ths tread will continue.

Guys, let's not get personal here.

It is taking things personally that created 99% of the problems. And you know who you are.

We are slamming the pictures, we may also slam the photographer or model as artists, but we are not slamming them personally. This applies to critics, slammers and anyone who wnet throught the time and efforts to give their opinions.

Btw, if some of us takes things personally, war would have ensured every day.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    sometimes, may be because people like me, lousy english, cant understand 100% of what you guys write and so may not get the message, not because we are fools. pls stop putting youself so high and mighty, looking down on others.
    No one is higher or mightier.

Only knows more English words.

That's all.

"Photography is a democrartic art -mattlock"

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    No one is higher or mightier.

Only knows more English words.

That's all.

"Photography is a democrartic art -mattlock"
    oh my, sion has changed..........
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid View Post
    oh my, sion has changed..........
    Scion can bottle whatever medicine you've been eating and sell it? confirm will bring about world peace!
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    What i see from the past one week in CS P/P section, more and more good photos had been posted. Hopefully ths tread will continue.
    The more the guys are at it.

The better they'll get.

Today they may shoot XMMs.

Tomorrow they'll do supermodels.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuestion View Post
    Scion can bottle whatever medicine you've been eating and sell it? confirm will bring about world peace!
    The sour plum lollies my wife brought back from Hong Kong.

They make me optimistic about the state of P&P.

I have great hope for the weekend XMM shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    The sour plum lollies my wife brought back from Hong Kong.

They make me optimistic about the state of P&P.

I have great hope for the weekend XMM shooters.
    tell her to import more of those and start selling them! Enlightenment on a stick!

Blog Entries

this "discussion" is a healthy one but....

i would advise against the use of hurtful words and being personal
    you can take this as a general warning

since the purpose of this discussion is to improve the state of photography in the P&P section, let it do that
    being rude will not benefit the objective at all, in fact it will put people off
    so think about it before you post

btw the kid gloves goes off after this post, i am sure we are all mature enough to conduct ourselves well

I love such discussions. Absolutely.

Where people will demand, yes, demand that people give critiques in a no holds barred manner or be brutally honest or wait for it... "slam" photos that may not be of a certain standard.

I am all for honest critiques and constructive comments that would help the photographer or even if the subject BUT why the need for hostility or comments that aggravate?

Ultimately, I would still leave it to fellow CS members to decide what they deem appropriate and what they can tolerate but understand that from where I stand, I will not accommodate anyone who comes in here to pick a fight.

It is often said that it takes all kinds to make a world and surely, we will have differing opinions as to what we consider good, bad, tasteful, trashy, crass, sensual or beautiful. But in trying to share or convey how you feel about the picture in question, it would be only fair if we bring across our opinions or views properly or at least, constructively.

At the end of the day, if what we want to improve the standard, would it make sense to guide and share, or to slam and criticize?

I leave it to your good sense to decide.

WG
    Last edited by Wolfgang; 23rd June 2008 at 05:24 PM.
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
    I love such discussions. Absolutely.

Where people will demand, yes, demand that people give critiques in a no holds barred manner or be brutally honest or wait for it... "slam" photos that may not be of a certain standard.

I am all for honest critiques and constructive comments that would help the photographer or even if the subject BUT why the need for hostile or comments that aggravate?

Ultimately, I would still leave it to fellow CS members to decide what they deem appropriate and what they can tolerate but understand that from where I stand, I will not accommodate anyone who comes in here to pick a fight.

It is often said that it takes all kinds to make a world and surely, we will have differing opinions as to what we consider good, bad, tasteful, trashy, crass, sensual or beautiful. But in trying to share or convey how you feel about the picture in question, it would be only fair if we bring across our opinions or views properly or at least, constructively.

At the end of the day, if what we want to improve the standard, would it make sense to guide and share, or to slam and criticize?

I leave it to your good sense to decide.

WG
    maybe at this point its time to close this thread and send it off to posterity. At this point it really feels like the dead horse has been beaten into puree and is more than ready for the glue factory...

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Guys, let's not get personal here.

It is taking things personally that created 99% of the problems. And you know who you are.

We are slamming the pictures, we may also slam the photographer or model as artists, but we are not slamming them personally. This applies to critics, slammers and anyone who wnet throught the time and efforts to give their opinions.

Btw, if some of us takes things personally, war would have ensured every day.
    THen it depend how you want to look at it.

Even when giving C&C, personal preferences are always the case, so shd it be personal?
    THen how come it always state "I like this" or "I don like that"! "It's SUCKS! etc......

Is this call "Professional" C&C? Or it just your personal preference of way that it better for the others to learn? Or just like you have say that it is who you are?

Just like i have said, talk are free, actions speak louder than words. For those who have been saying want to "help" others to improve their "standard". Give some actions or sample rather at here just TCSC.
    Last edited by Tupi Guy; 23rd June 2008 at 05:20 PM.
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

Quote Originally Posted by Tupi Guy View Post
    THen it depend how you want to look at it.

Even when giving C&C, personal preferences are always the case, so shd it be personal?
    THen how come it always state "I like this" or "I don like that"! "It's SUCKS! etc......

Is this call "Professional" C&C? Or it just your personal preference of way that it better for the others to learn? Or just like you have say that it is who you are?

Just like i have said, talk are free, actions speak louder than words. For those who have been saying want to "help" others to improve their "standard". Give some actions or sample rather at here just TCSC.
    Well, in the first place, the TS of any pictures, must get some honest feedback if the pictures posted are great, good, above average, average, bad, horrible, suck or worst than suck.

As important, people, the TS and others, must realise that there will always be differences in opioions. To you, this sucks, to me, this is art. You give it a thumb up, I give it a thumb down. This applies to the GWC/XMM genre also. I found them bad to suck, I give my opinions and hopefully, I remember to say why. Someone else found them great, say so, and hopefully, also remember to say why. TS can therefore draw the conclusion what worked what doesn't and how to move on.

This is the first step in seperating us from the run of the mill portrait forums out there.
    Last edited by Deadpoet; 23rd June 2008 at 05:36 PM.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

This is the first step in seperating us from the run of the mill portrait forums out there.
    Us? hahaha

ANyways, happy shooting and C&C
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

I think something like that would be good

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388414

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuestion View Post
    He' Sion lah. Though you can call him a sCion also considering what all he does in this forum.

Well, in the first place, the TS of any pictures, must get some honest feedback if the pictures posted are great, good, above average, average, bad, horrible, suck or worst than suck.

As important, people, the TS and others, must realise that there will always be differences in opioions. To you, this sucks, to me, this is art. You give it a thumb up, I give it a thumb down. This applies to the GWC/XMM genre also. I found them bad to suck, I give my opinions and hopefully, I remember to say why. Someone else found them great, say so, and hopefully, also remember to say why. TS can therefore draw the conclusion what worked what doesn't and how to move on.

I will always agree to the brutally honest part but does that mean we have to be honest and brutal? I am not old enough and qualified enough to speak about it but I don't understand how by telling a guy "Your picture is worse than worst" will make him a better photographer. The comments are overflowing with wisdom and experience in them but they are also overflowing with vitriol and on cursory glancing, an abundant supply of superiority complex.

Please don't take this as a personal attack. Its the appearance of the content that rankles me. We are not that great yet to be giving people harsh and dismissive comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Goondoo View Post
    I think something like that would be good

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388414
    This is ridiculous I saw this and I was like WTF. But yea I guess if I ever post any photos, I shall duly follow your lead my dear teacher
    Come visit my Flickr :)

Quote Originally Posted by maddyks View Post
    He' Sion lah. Though you can call him a sCion also considering what all he does in this forum.

I will always agree to the brutally honest part but does that mean we have to be honest and brutal? I am not old enough and qualified enough to speak about it but I don't understand how by telling a guy "Your picture is worse than worst" will make him a better photographer. The comments are overflowing with wisdom and experience in them but they are also overflowing with vitriol and on cursory glancing, an abundant supply of superiority complex.

Please don't take this as a personal attack. Its the appearance of the content that rankles me. We are not that great yet to be giving people harsh and dismissive comments.

Bravo!
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

DP, I think this thread is rather old by CS standards, but I saw some of your comments to a recent TFCD posting in the portraits section and I only just started reading this thread. I don't usually read anything in Kopitiam, since I'm here to try to learn how other photogs do things.

If you really want to help others improve, and I think you are very qualified to be able to do so (I looked at your portfolio, and yes, I do agree, it is pretty good, maybe one day, I can reach your standard), then let me suggest two things:

a) While your C&C is good and very important - try to be more tactful.
    Now, I read those C&C you gave for that TFCD and I 100% fully agree with your viewpoints, but like some other comments on this thread, I also do feel that (while your points are correct IMHO), you could try to be a little more tactful when giving your criticisms.

You can say that this is your style - that's OK. But you should know that people who are serious in learning also have the freedom to choose which sifu to learn from.

Why is this important? As you should know, good rapport between photog and model is key to a good shoot - so same too between a master and his student. And while some masochists might go for the teacher that whips them with chains, I think most (serious) photog students here in CS would much prefer a mentor who is also a friend. The reason for this is that photography must also be fun and enjoyable, otherwise, might as well lose all interest in it right away if the sifu makes it so un-fun.

Caveat: If the person is not serious in improving, don't bother wasting your time giving them C&C. Shoot more pix and let ppl like me ooh and ahh them instead..

b) Lead by Example
    Why not post a few of your favourite portfolio shots that you think CSers here can try to reproduce and tell everyone the steps and key considerations you made when making the shot. So in this way, we can learn from a master such as yourself how it is REALLY done.

This also will encourage others to match the quality of the standard you set when trying to set and example. Over time, the standards will improve and who knows, maybe one day, even you might learn something from one of the younger ones one day

Lead by Example
    I think if you want CS forums photo quality to improve, to "stand out from the run of the mill", then as a top photog yourself, you don't need to start a thread like this one. No need to "talk", but "do" instead.. Carry yourself like a leader - charismatic, polite but knowledgeable and lead by example. Just post some pix of yours, show/tell us the way and lead us - lead by example. If you lead, trust me, a lot of CSers (myself included) will follow.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3678