Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 25678 LastLast

Thread: A challenge to all, to make our Portrait Forum second to none!

Default Re: A challenge to all, to make our Portrait Forum second to none!

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I like too see more and more CSers who may be, perhaps or probably so-so amateurs just like us enjoying their photography and posting their photos.

The Great ones are a minority who are in the world of their own while the rest of the common people, the masses, the proletariots and the point-and-shoot brigade in CS interacts and at peace with each other and content with our efforts and quests which we never see and know as good enough.

I would hate to see fashion photos that are too polished in CS as they are easily available in many glossy magazines. These photos don't reflect our life and aspirations. But a happy snap about an XMM from a neighboring school is about what we are: earnest, clumsy with camera and unprofessionally cool.

"There are always people who are not happy to see we are happy because they cannot be happy about people being happy." That's from scion too.
    bravo
    Photography is a democratic art, people will photograph things that interest them. If XMMs are what people like to photograph and post, let's try to help each other raise the standards so that we all shoot the best XMM pictures in the world.

(I am totally serious about this if anyone is wondering if I'm being sarcastic)

Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    bravo
    Photography is a democratic art, people will photograph things that interest them. If XMMs are what people like to photograph and post, let's try to help each other raise the standards so that we all shoot the best XMM pictures in the world.

(I am totally serious about this if anyone is wondering if I'm being sarcastic)
    may the xmm's take over clubsnap and i'll be off to elsewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by mrchua View Post
    may the xmm's take over clubsnap and i'll be off to elsewhere...
    XMMs are only a mere symptom of something larger, and more insidious.

Haven't they already taken over CS?

Blog Entries

as DP is no longer responding to his own thread, lets give it a rest, people. shall we?
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    XMMs are only a mere symptom of something larger, and more insidious.
    This symptom permeates all photography communities. In most parts of the States, it's the Asian racequeen (short, stout, big-ish boobs, tranny make-up) or the Barbie (blonde, plastic). The problem is what to do about it.

I agree with several people who have already said that leading by example is the way to go. Give honest C&C to those who are trying, a butt-kicking to those who aren't, and continue posting great photos and being receptive to C&C.
    Available as a model, photographer, and art director/stylist.

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75 View Post
    as DP is no longer responding to his own thread, lets give it a rest, people. shall we?
    I am here. Just want to let everyone express their opinions.

I attract lots of trolls, and that is detrimental to good discussion.

As much as I hated a particular series of pictures recently posted, I feel, the somewhat and sometime heated discussions there, especially from the dissenters, is a giant step forward.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    I am here. Just want to let everyone express their opinions.
    DP, "good discussion" is not for the faint of heart! Many people around CS are hypersensitive, take things that are said literally or personally, or take everything way too seriously. What if someone compared me to a Nazi because of my strong stand against GWCs and XMMs? You can't have a conversation with fools.
    Last edited by Triazolium; 22nd June 2008 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Triazolium View Post
    DP, "good discussion" is not for the faint of heart! Many people around CS are hypersensitive, take things that are said literally or personally, or take everything way too seriously. What if someone compared me to a Nazi because of my strong stand against GWCs and XMMs? You can't have a conversation with fools.
    sometimes, may be because people like me, lousy english, cant understand 100% of what you guys write and so may not get the message, not because we are fools. pls stop putting youself so high and mighty, looking down on others.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    sometimes, may be because people like me, lousy english, cant understand 100% of what you guys write and so may not get the message, not because we are fools. pls stop putting youself so high and mighty, looking down on others.
    Thanks for proving my point. See, stating your opinion is not for the faint of heart! If you get accusations of being high and mighty and looking down on others, for your own sanity, you cannot have a thin skin!

Dun waste your time No point.
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

Dennis, what you said, and more importantly how you felt, is just exactly what we need to avoid. I am not criticizing your opionions nor feelings, but you are in fact being over sensitive, taking things too literally, and as a result, hampered a free exchange of ideas and thoguhts, including and especially, negative ones.

My comments are still some of the harshest around. Like it or not, that is who I am. I am always straight forward with my opinions, and I tried hard to concentrate on the work, not the person.

We praise the work we slam the work.

Let's not get personal here, ok.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Dennis, what you said, and more importantly how you felt, is just exactly what we need to avoid. I am not criticizing your opionions nor feelings, but you are in fact being over sensitive, taking things too literally, and as a result, hampered a free exchange of ideas and thoguhts, including and especially, negative ones.

My comments are still some of the harshest around. Like it or not, that is who I am. I am always straight forward with my opinions, and I tried hard to concentrate on the work, not the person.

We praise the work we slam the work.

Let's not get personal here, ok.
    How can we have meaningful discourse if people are so sensitive?

There has been some good work in the Portraits section, and I'm happy to see that the posters have begun to appreciate all the positive and negative C&C. I hope this keeps up.

Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

How can we have meaningful discourse if people are so sensitive?

There has been some good work in the Portraits section, and I'm happy to see that the posters have begun to appreciate all the positive and negative C&C. I hope this keeps up.
    discussion is one thing. Condecension is another and some might feel that it's been a mixture in this discussion. The likelihood of winning more people over to you cause will increase if that is kept out of the equation when faciliating the discussion. I have to say though kudoes to dennis for stating his opinion without raising a ruckus. He's shown more restraint that some others have on here.
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuestion View Post
    discussion is one thing. Condecension is another and some might feel that it's been a mixture in this discussion. The likelihood of winning more people over to you cause will increase if that is kept out of the equation when faciliating the discussion. I have to say though kudoes to dennis for stating his opinion without raising a ruckus. He's shown more restraint that some others have on here.
    Who's being condescending?

I've chosen to react to "attacks" with humor instead of anger. So sue me.

Who's being condescending?

I've chosen to react to "attacks" with humor instead of anger. So sue me.
    well apparently the jokes have flown over the intended audience's head hasn't it? hence the reaction produced. Humor is one thing sarcasm is another. Treat others how you want to be treated and they will respond in kind.
    Last edited by TheQuestion; 23rd June 2008 at 10:25 AM.
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

Photography doesn't require a master in English literature.

Crystalize your profound thoughts in Singlish or Hokkien can liao.

And to The High and Mighty:

"Lu Kon Ha Mi Sai.

Goon Lang Mah Si Ai Chai."

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuestion View Post
    Treat others how you want to be treated and they will respond in kind.
    But I am! I'm not insulting anyone, I'm not being angry, I'm not accusing anyone of anything, and I'm not being over-sensitive. Wow. I am officially befuddled.

If you can't take my sarcasm and dry humor, I guess we can't be friends in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Photography doesn't require a master in English literature.

Crystalize your profound thoughts in Singlish or Hokkien can liao.

And to The High and Mighty:

"Lu Kon Ha Mi Sai.

Goon Lang Mah Si Ai Chai."
    Can translate? I don't understand Hokkien.
    Last edited by Triazolium; 23rd June 2008 at 10:51 AM.

But I am! I'm not insulting anyone, I'm not being angry, I'm not accusing anyone of anything, and I'm not being over-sensitive. Wow. I am officially befuddled.

If you can't take my sarcasm and dry humor, I guess we can't be friends in real life.
    But u use the word fools.....
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid View Post
    But u use the word fools.....
    Oh please. I think smokers are fools because they willingly harm their bodies with those cancer sticks. Where's the smilie for rolling eyes? Besides, who do think I am calling 'fools'? If you consider yourself a fool, then you should be offended.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 25678 LastLast