Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: A challenge to all, to make our Portrait Forum second to none!

Default Re: A challenge to all, to make our Portrait Forum second to none!

Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    In the past this question was raised already regarding criticisms which led to the formation of the Critique section.

Go look at the Critique section and you will find people giving criticism.

I don't understand why this issue is being brought up again
    Well, I think you missed my point in the next post directly below it - the critique section is already in place, but it is general - not specific to which genre. I'm suggesting opening up the critique section to be more specific, having more genres, so that people can directly go to that section and post and critique.

I guess the main point of this thread is to offer an alternative point on how to improve the forum, and so long as the main objective of the forum, to share knowledge, discuss ideas and forge new friendships is attained, why not give it a more serious thought, take into account of the members, mods, admins, weigh the pros and cons, and see if implementing it is feasible?

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    i feel that it is the numbers that counts

what is needed are more good quality images to inspire others to better themselves
    right now the majority of images are of a certain standard

so instead of ranting lets go out and shoot more and post more

ask not what other can do for CS
    but about what you can do for CS
    Ya lor, talks are free.
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

Quote Originally Posted by zan82 View Post
    Well, I think you missed my point in the next post directly below it - the critique section is already in place, but it is general - not specific to which genre. I'm suggesting opening up the critique section to be more specific, having more genres, so that people can directly go to that section and post and critique.

I guess the main point of this thread is to offer an alternative point on how to improve the forum, and so long as the main objective of the forum, to share knowledge, discuss ideas and forge new friendships is attained, why not give it a more serious thought, take into account of the members, mods, admins, weigh the pros and cons, and see if implementing it is feasible?
    Here's how to improve the forum: less negativity, more posting of images, more sharing of process, less judgement on people for posting their photographs.

Having more subsections is not going to change anything because it's not going to encourage the people who have already left to post again.

Quality of Criticism is not the issue here
    Last edited by mattlock; 16th June 2008 at 03:55 PM.

Here's how to improve the forum: less negativity, more posting of images, more sharing of process, less judgement on people for posting their photographs.

Having more subsections is not going to change anything because it's not going to encourage the people who have already left to post again.

All these are up to individual, even do like you have suggested. u think it will improve the forum? Pyramid dun build over night and it same to case like this. It take time to "grow up".
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

Certainly, I cannot agree less with your pov. You seldom talk serious; i must have written something that triggered you to respond. Don't get me wrong, your jokes were a good relief to bring some life to some dry corners.

A forum with huge membership size does have power - bargaining power to be exact. However, if we allow a cold platform to perpetuate, it will only induce churn.

Tell me, if you can, how much % of people log in into this forum to learn photography? If beautiful pictures can help an amateur achieve the same just by ogling at the screen, then pictures would play and essential role to motivate the hobby. I wish photography was that easy to learn, but you and i know that photography comes with practice and self reflection. Friendship plays a pivotal role to push each other in this pursuit.

I think this is a good place for general information. I think the moderators and admins are doing a great job to create the hygiene level here. However, I feel for the loss of those nice and helpful individuals, who were so passionate about photography and contributed so much to this platform, but are unable or unwilling to participate due to personal reasons.

Perhaps, we shant look back. We need to press on to make this a better place. Perhaps, we still are.

cheers!

P/S, just in case moderators here feel i talk more than i shoot, i do in fact shoot a hell lot of pictures monthly and these are my deliverables. I do not post pictures here as it is my option (still) apart from its confidentiality.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Different people come to CS for different reasons.

Many people drop out of CS because of different reasons too.

The membership of CS has grown over the years. As CS grows it has to change. CS is now a community that caters for the largest denominator - amateurs like us who may not be likely to make it to the top but there is nothing to stop us from enjoying photography.

Digital camera has democratised photography making it easily and cheaply available to all of our comrades. This is power to the people.

As all these developments take place and with the surge of more photographers, there will be more levelling in the standard of photography we see in P&P and elsewhere. It just that it is less elitist and more mass appealing. I don't know whether it is a good and bad thing.

Regardless to what is happening here those who are hungry enough to want to rise to the top will find the ways to do it either quietly off the net or noisily in photo forums.

Meanwhile our P&P is always be our P&P which from time to time will continue to entertain us with its offer of 10 pages of racequeens.

in just a short moment reading past the threads.......i could create a sitcom drama man!!....one of the reasons why CS is soooo entertaining

you know guys...i realised that photographers are REALLY CREATIVE bunch!

Do you know the government is telling us to save water?
    Quote Originally Posted by blive View Post
    I hardly post in the photo galleries, cause I don't think I have good enough photos to put in there. I wouldn't mind people commenting on my photos though, just please don't say anything bad about my subjects, which is mostly my family members.

Anyway, those post in the photo galleries are comments from fellow photographers, so nobody should take it as a personal insult anyway. Lighten up!

Sion, We all need to save water, but water is needed for its purpose, so if its justified use it, cause you are paying for it....
    Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid View Post
    small bucket can liao, as some dun have big face.

Quote Originally Posted by D60D60 View Post
    in just a short moment reading past the threads.......i could create a sitcom drama man!!....one of the reasons why CS is soooo entertaining

you know guys...i realised that photographers are REALLY CREATIVE bunch!
    CS's Kopitiam is really second to none.

Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    CS's Kopitiam is really second to none.
    All thanks to you!

I agree with most of your points, but I'm skeptical about the consequences of more and more people posting images indiscriminately. This would, in all likelihood, lead to many more photos put up where hardly any thought went into composition, lighting, styling, etc.
    This is one of the points that has polarized opinion.

Creating subforums for pro/amateur would likely lead to an elitist culture.

I have no clear solution that can improve the standard of the Portrait Forum. But that is the great thing about a democracy. Everyone has a say.

I would though, like to challenge those who claim that 'honest and brutal' criticism of those 'CMI' photos will improve the quality of the forum. How will this be achieved?

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    I agree with most of your points, but I'm skeptical about the consequences of more and more people posting images indiscriminately. This would, in all likelihood, lead to many more photos put up where hardly any thought went into composition, lighting, styling, etc.
    This is one of the points that has polarized opinion.

Creating subforums for pro/amateur would likely lead to an elitist culture.

I have no clear solution that can improve the standard of the Portrait Forum. But that is the great thing about a democracy. Everyone has a say.

I would though, like to challenge those who claim that 'honest and brutal' criticism of those 'CMI' photos will improve the quality of the forum. How will this be achieved?

it will only improve the quality or rather the standard of photography if the photographer is interested to improve. simple.

otherwise, he will just ignore whoever is giving comments or get offended instead.

how many of the cs members are genuinely interested in improving themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    how many of the cs members are genuinely interested in improving themselves?
    Good question.

As long as GWCs exist, how can the "standard" of the forums rise? You can give C&C, but many will see what they want to see and ignore what they don't like. Then you'll end up with a war of C&C between the GWCs and the genuine photogs.
    Available as a model, photographer, and art director/stylist.

Quote Originally Posted by Triazolium View Post
    Good question.

As long as GWCs exist, how can the "standard" of the forums rise? You can give C&C, but many will see what they want to see and ignore what they don't like. Then you'll end up with a war of C&C between the GWCs and the genuine photogs.
    only thing i have to say about this is that you can do battle with ignorance but more than likely ignorance is gonna win and you're gonna be frustrated. Better to not force your beliefs on people and win them over some other way...leading by example is one.
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

maybe the so call guy with camera just like to post snap shots and they are happy with that?

just like people buy evo, wrx, skyline, euro r etc, doesnt means because they bought high performance car, they have to be able to drive like speed racer. as long as they are happy with their purchase, why critic their skills?

i should think it is up the mod, admin to determine what is CS's future, a forum thats second to none, so much so that newbie or people who just want to share snap shots of the daily life stop posting here for one reason or another. or continue to be what it is now, where people from all walks of live with common interest has a virtual space to share and maybe meet up in person.
    Last edited by denniskee; 21st June 2008 at 10:54 AM.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    maybe the so call guy with camera just like to post snap shots and they are happy with that?

just like people buy evo, wrx, skyline, euro r etc, doesnt means because they bought high performance car, they have to be able to drive like speed racer. as long as they are happy with their purchase, why critic their skills?
    yea and to quote scion; "what have you got against people being happy?" Photography is no longer the elitist ( in fact it never was) hobby/profession that people make it out to be. In fact in someways its better that we have all these people who are contented with their ordinary shots around. Easier for the truly serious and good shooters to improve and stand out amongst the masses.

Now that membeship of Clubsnap is really large, there is a different demographic compared with its early days. You have:

1) The professional photographers
    2) Serious Amateurs (enthusiasts)
    3) Beginners (some experience, occassional shooters)
    4) Total greenhorn

Of course there are more than these 4 groups alone. I'm just trying to emphasize that it's a tall order to try and cater to such a diverse demographic.
    There is no clear-cut solution.

I agree with your statement that leading by example is one way to cause a slow but steady improvement in the standards. When people see great photos, it's natural to feel motivated to improve

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuestion View Post
    yea and to quote scion; "what have you got against people being happy?" Photography is no longer the elitist ( in fact it never was) hobby/profession that people make it out to be. In fact in someways its better that we have all these people who are contented with their ordinary shots around.....
    I like too see more and more CSers who may be, perhaps or probably so-so amateurs just like us enjoying their photography and posting their photos.

The Great ones are a minority who are in the world of their own while the rest of the common people, the masses, the proletariots and the point-and-shoot brigade in CS interacts and at peace with each other and content with our efforts and quests which we never see and know as good enough.

I would hate to see fashion photos that are too polished in CS as they are easily available in many glossy magazines. These photos don't reflect our life and aspirations. But a happy snap about an XMM from a neighboring school is about what we are: earnest, clumsy with camera and unprofessionally cool.

"There are always people who are not happy to see we are happy because they cannot be happy about people being happy." That's from scion too.

I like too see more and more CSers who may be, perhaps or probably so-so amateurs just like us enjoying their photography and posting their photos.

The Great ones are a minority who are in the world of their own while the rest of the common people, the masses, the proletariots and the point-and-shoot brigade in CS interacts and at peace with each other and content with our efforts and quests which we never see and know as good enough.

I would hate to see fashion photos that are too polished in CS as they are easily available in many glossy magazines. These photos don't reflect our life and aspirations. But a happy snap about an XMM from a neighboring school is about what we are: earnest, clumsy with camera and unprofessionally cool.

"There are always people who are not happy to see we are happy because they cannot be happy about people being happy." That's from scion too.
    you ate the wrong medicine is it? It's weird seeing you be so wise and profound all of sudden

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuestion View Post
    you ate the wrong medicine is it? It's weird seeing you be so wise and profound all of sudden
    Just had a sour plum lolly from China.

Just had a sour plum lolly from China.
    can you say placebo?

err...

i'd rather be seeing magazine-quality photos posted here rather than all the xmm stuff actually.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast