Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: A challenge to all, to make our Portrait Forum second to none!

Default Re: A challenge to all, to make our Portrait Forum second to none!

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    at the risk of being flamed here, I also find that Deadpoet's comments, whilst certainly honest, are severely lacking in tact.

There were criticisms of other CSers comments like "nosebleed", etc, which offer no constructive ability. Similarly, Deadpoet has made comments to the effect of "... your entire series of shots is HORRIBLE..." which is really unhelfpul as well, not to mention hurtful.

While it's true that CSers shouldn't overdo the sugary comments when undeserved, sometimes it's just people's way of trying to be a little bit encouraging. After all, a large proportion of CSers are amateurs and beginners, so to receive comments on your photos like "... all your photos are terrible..." might likely discourage them from pursuing their hobby further.

I am personally of the opinion that one can be critical whilst still being encouraging, even though the photo might truly be ghastly in your eyes. I don't feel that I'm personally qualified to critique someone else's photos yet, but if I were to comment, I might say something like "I quite like the expression of your model, but in future you must try to pay attention to _______ and ________ ........" I feel that such a comment serves the dual purpose of offering constructive criticism whilst being mildly encouraging as well.

If there are members who really like a no-holds-barred type of commentary, perhaps the moderators might have to consider separate sub-forums or any other options.
    There we go again.

To be political correct at all cost, including further driving the quality of the portrait forum to the ground.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    There we go again.

To be political correct at all cost, including further driving the quality of the portrait forum to the ground.
    there's also such a thing as using honey will catch you more flies. Hostility and borderline insults are only going to make people defensive against what you have to say.

Constructive and honest critique is all very well.

But the bottom line is whether the person who posts the photo has the will, patience, prepareness and courage to take the steps to impove.

For those of us who make a quid or two from photography, the push and pull of the market will make us wanting to innovate, adapt, evolve, progress and improve to stay competitive.

That may not be the same for an ocassional weekend XMM shooter who can see a well-exposed and well-focused photo of a XMM happy liao. There is no incentive for him to want to be second to none.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Constructive and honest critique is all very well.

But the bottom line is whether the person who posts the photo has the will, patience, prepareness and courage to take the steps to impove.

For those of us who make a quid or two from photography, the push and pull of the market will make us wanting to innovate, adapt, evolve, progress and improve to stay competitive.

That may not be the same for an ocassional weekend XMM shooter who can see a well-exposed and well-focused photo of a XMM happy liao. There is no incentive for him to want to be second to none.
    Well said.

However, I do not believe that to be a forum second to none, we have to push our members to improve. That will come later and naturally.

Again, I am aiming at the proliferation of undeserved praises on pictures that are clearly CMI.
    We need to change the attitude to sugar coat comments. To follow up on your train of thought, is your membership ready to be honest with their opinions and comments, and willing to give them, even if the opinions and comments are deservingly negative.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    There we go again.

Please explain (in words) EXACTLY what you meant by the in the post I have quoted.

I have had a quick look through your photo gallery, and I must admit your standard of photography is something that a lot of us can aspire to. However, your rude and insulting nature on this forum is something I hope I will never copy.

Just because your skills are better than others, why must you choose such hurtful words when commenting on others' photos?

I have learnt a lot about photography techniques by viewing the galleries and reading other member's c&c. However, knowing that there are people like you who post such hurtful comments has totally discouraged me from posting any of my photos on the galleries. If that is the direction that CS seniors and moderators want this forum to take, so be it.

I also wish to pick on your comment that being politically correct will drive the quality of the forum to the ground.
    Firstly, I'm asking for comments to be more tactful. There is a difference between being tactful and politically correct. Please read the dictionary. Also, it is possible to be tactful whilst improving the quality of the forum. They are not mutually exclusive entities.

Honest criticism will not "improve" a forum's quality.

Most likely it will lead to fights and bruised egos.

And maybe our wonderful moderators closing threads prematurely.

The quality of a forum depends on the quality of the work showcased, which basically depends on the skill of the posters.

If you compare the featured works on Photo.net and here, you'll understand what I mean.

I'll leave you to ponder why the quality difference is so vast, but I'm quite sure slamming people's pix thoroughly, while it might give you some satisfaction, will not lead to an improvement in the forum.

It will however make you many enemies.
    Last edited by waileong; 15th June 2008 at 09:49 PM.

Yeah that's the trouble.

I have been trying to speak like you.
    no need lah, i like just the way you are... dun change ok...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by sprintist View Post
    its the mentality of the members to realise what is a benchmark, but everyone has different ones.
    benchmark? hmm....

why don't the mods promote deadpoet from 'senior member' to 'senior portraiture critiquer'?
    imho, that a pretty good benchmark to set

of course, there's the problem of 'liars' who praise photos that 'shouldn't' deserve praise...
    and... over-sensitive TS-ers...

shrugs*

I would like to post photos on Clubsnap without having to put it up for "critique" many times
    It is nice to have an environment that isn't so heavy on the idea of "critique" but rather just sharing.

I don't think it's a problem that the type of photos being posted are snapshots or just XMM shots.
    In fact, the more the merrier. I would encourage everyone to post their photos.

The truth is, many very good photographers have a veryvery thin skin and wouldn't be able to stand up to criticism.

What is needed is not more criticism. What is needed is an environment of sharing where people feel comfortable putting up works, and good work and a positive environment will encourage more people to post more work, and better work hopefully.

hmmm... but if you post photos on the galleries and don't want to to receive any critique, then it defeats the purpose of this being a photography forum, right?
    Doing so reduces CS to nothing more than an image hosting website.

I personally like to read the critiques, because often I learn about other aspects of the photograph that I might not have initially noticed.
    Criticism is good, but criticism must be constructive. The one who posts the photos must also put in some effort first, instead of posting frivolous photos.

Just upz to deactivate the email notifications. Enjoy the discussion
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    Honest criticism will not "improve" a forum's quality.

Most likely it will lead to fights and bruised egos.

And maybe our wonderful moderators closing threads prematurely.

The quality of a forum depends on the quality of the work showcased, which basically depends on the skill of the posters.

If you compare the featured works on Photo.net and here, you'll understand what I mean.

I'll leave you to ponder why the quality difference is so vast, but I'm quite sure slamming people's pix thoroughly, while it might give you some satisfaction, will not lead to an improvement in the forum.

It will however make you many enemies.
    Please explain (in words) EXACTLY what you meant by the in the post I have quoted.

I have had a quick look through your photo gallery, and I must admit your standard of photography is something that a lot of us can aspire to. However, your rude and insulting nature on this forum is something I hope I will never copy.

Just because your skills are better than others, why must you choose such hurtful words when commenting on others' photos?

I have learnt a lot about photography techniques by viewing the galleries and reading other member's c&c. However, knowing that there are people like you who post such hurtful comments has totally discouraged me from posting any of my photos on the galleries. If that is the direction that CS seniors and moderators want this forum to take, so be it.

I also wish to pick on your comment that being politically correct will drive the quality of the forum to the ground.
    Firstly, I'm asking for comments to be more tactful. There is a difference between being tactful and politically correct. Please read the dictionary. Also, it is possible to be tactful whilst improving the quality of the forum. They are not mutually exclusive entities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tupi Guy View Post
    Just upz to deactivate the email notifications. Enjoy the discussion
    you guys have my support people post pics on cs to get constructive criticism and not to get whipped at and left dying. Only useful criticism helps them improve and a hint of politeness helps make all of us a little more humane. Dissing posters with quotes like "horrible series" or this is a "mess" just make u look silly and clearly serves no purpose
    Last edited by Haydenhuang; 15th June 2008 at 10:35 PM.

hmmm... but if you post photos on the galleries and don't want to to receive any critique, then it defeats the purpose of this being a photography forum, right?
    Doing so reduces CS to nothing more than an image hosting website.

I personally like to read the critiques, because often I learn about other aspects of the photograph that I might not have initially noticed.
    Criticism is good, but criticism must be constructive. The one who posts the photos must also put in some effort first, instead of posting frivolous photos.
    I'll be blunt here
    What makes you think that you are in any position to critique anyone's work?
    A photograph is a very personal thing, and most people have problems with critiquing because making a criticism of anyone's work requires a certain understanding of what the person is going for in a photograph.

Most people end up criticising small things like sharpness and hair because honestly, there's either little else to critique or the person doesn't seem to be interested in finding out more about what the person is trying to say in the work.

We've had very good work from louis lau, skye tan, jingna being posted in the past and they mostly don't post anymore, and even though it's not always their best work but I doubt that most people are in a position to critique their work.

The situation here is not about critique standards. This is my opinion.

Member/Tangshooter

I agree to this.....

my view is : Critisism will not improve one's photography.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    I would like to post photos on Clubsnap without having to put it up for "critique" many times
    It is nice to have an environment that isn't so heavy on the idea of "critique" but rather just sharing.

I don't think it's a problem that the type of photos being posted are snapshots or just XMM shots.

The truth is, many very good photographers have a veryvery thin skin and wouldn't be able to stand up to criticism.

What is needed is not more criticism. What is needed is an environment of sharing where people feel comfortable putting up works, and good work and a positive environment will encourage more people to post more work, and better work hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post

This "sharing" thing is very much a culture of CS.

People take some photos in the weekend. And they post it and sort of say, "Hey guys, come and look and my photo. I've enjoyed taking it and hope that you do the same viewing it."

Most of the time when I post photos I am in this sort of frame of mind. If I'll get a critique I'll be grateful. If I don't I'm not going to sulk. If I'll get a hammering, I pick myself up and dust off the dirt and go on to shoot another photo.

7 years ago I got laughed at when I post my photos by many people in another Singapore photo forum. I remember one guy ridiculed my photo while his friend post a following message with his hands clapping. Today I am earning a living out of photography. This means I have not only improved I have also a very thick skin.

I think the person taking the photo knows the photo better than the rest of us. He chooses the lens, the angle, the composition, the lighting and all other technical and aesthetic aspects of producing the image. He should make it his business to know whether that photo works for him or not. Whatever we may think or say about it is just the peripheral.
    Last edited by Sion; 15th June 2008 at 11:29 PM.

This "sharing" thing is very much a culture of CS.

People take some photos in the weekend. And they post it and sort of say, "Hey guys, come and look and my photo. I've enjoyed taking it and hope that you do the same viewing it."

Most of the time when I post photos I am in this sort of frame of mind. If I'll get a critique I'll be grateful. If I don't I'm not going to sulk. If I'll get a hammering, I pick myself up and dust off the dirt and go on to shoot another photo.

7 years ago I got laughed at when I post my photos by many people in another Singapore photo forum. I remember one guy ridiculed my photo while his friend posted a following message with his hands clapping. Today I am earning a living out of photography. This means I have not only improved I have also a very thick skin.

I think the person taking the photo knows the photo better than the rest of us. He chooses the lens, the angle, the composition, the lighting and all other technical and aesthetic aspects of producing the image. He should make it his business to know whether that photo works for him or not. Whatever we think or say about it is just the peripheral.
    That time you were Beginner, now you are Sion ......

Quote Originally Posted by Bobman View Post
    That time you were Beginner, now you are Sion ......
    Hey Bob I'm glad you're still around.

Hey Bob I'm glad you're still around.
    I will be around as long as you are around; from start to end

Quote Originally Posted by Bobman View Post
    I will be around as long as you are around; from start to end
    You'll be around as long as Svitlana, Elena, Tatyana, Sabina, Zofia, Serafina, Alesya etc. etc. are around.

Hi guys, let's keep the OT to a minimum to keep this thread concise ok

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast