Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you find a wacom tablet useful?

Default Re: Do you find a wacom tablet useful?

Quote Originally Posted by ST1100 View Post
    How long did you (or other tablet users) take to get to the point of preferring it over the mouse? TIA.

i tried for a few days, hand still feel like feet.
    I Ist used a wacom only after I joined a DI house as a retoucher. But for the Ist wk or so would still keep sneeking back to using e mouse to path stuff & 'swear that the mouse is faster than the stupid pen'... Many yrs later, I do everything with the pen.

Give it a chance, you'll get used to it.
    However, I must add that it may not be essential for all. If your work does not involve many 'curved shapes'...then probably not as neccesary.

Red face Re: Do you find a wacom tablet useful?

Quote Originally Posted by seft22 View Post
    Yea, I don't mind getting a 2nd-hand one to try out =)
    Quote Originally Posted by velasco View Post
    i've always wanted a tablet for web design, just dont have the bucks to buy them. so for those collecting dust ones you can just throw to me and i'll blow off the dusts for you. mwhaha kidding

but i want one for digital painting
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeto View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a graphics tablet myself. Anyone wanna sell their unused graphics tablet?
    Hello there, seeing that you are interested, i hope you like this deal.

I have a 2nd hand Wacom Intuos3 A4, which is in mint condition for sale. Take a look at my photos of the product and feel free to contact me at 93396596 if you are serious to buy.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=2024070

im thinking of buying one of these
    still deciding between bamboo fun med or the bamboo
    price difference so big

ermm btw anyone with any idea where i can get wacom at the cheapest in sg?

My first tablet was a cheap china branded tablet with that holds a AAA batter in it's body.. doens't hover and only recognises upon touch.. and has no pressure sensitivity.

Then I bought the intuous 4x5 and started loving it for my everyday use and feel akward going into photoshop without using the pen. But I have a wide screen on my notebook and sometime use dual screens and thus wasted a lot of vertical space on the 4x5. Thus I got the 6x11.

I personally feel that the best feature is the pressure sensitivity which allows control of brush/mask size & opacity. I would feel handicapped creating a mask without the pen knowing that I could have created a much smoother/more controlled mask with the pen.
    I love it for web browsing as well with Maxthon http://www.maxthon.com which is a IE7 based browser which has 'Super Drag & Drop'.. just click on a link and drag it a few pixels and drop and it will open the links as a page in the background. (You could do it with a mouse of course, but it's just a breeze with a flick of your pen).

Now, on the topic of Cintiq or Tablet PCs.. I have owned 3 tablet PCs to date.. HP1000tc (can't remember the model now).. the Fujitsu 4220 and the HP tx2000 (current), the latter 2 which are "Penabled Wacom"). Now I never use the pen on the tablet for photoediting for 2 reasons.
    1 - You don't have access to the keyboards for your Ctrl,Alt,Shift modifiers and your keybord shortcuts, something which a good photoshopper will definitely need!
    2 - I find it having my pen on the screen less accurate than using a seperate tablet (perhaps it's psychological having my hand block part of the screen, perhaps it's the alignment that's a few pixels off..) moreover, I can always see my cursor when i'm using the seperate tablet. Thus I think the Cintiq may not be that useful for me as well, but I've yet to try it myself.

I spoke to a couple professional DI artist.. they also were like.. "why are we this tablets when mouse is faster?" in the beginning.. Same goes for me.. It took me quite a bit of practise to get the hang of it.. but I find that I can hardly edit with mouse anymore..

Some tips that work for me.. if you are not going to draw with the tablets and only use it for photo editing like me.. a smaller tablet works better. I have a A5 size tablet but actually reduce the writing area to 3inch by 2.4inch.. this allows me to move the pen freely across the screen w/o having to move the entire hand. =) Keyboard overlapping the tablet.. left hand on keyb, rite hand on tablet.. super fast!

Quote Originally Posted by willyfoo View Post
    2 Thus I think the Cintiq may not be that useful for me as well, but I've yet to try it myself.
    I had been using the wacom tablet it was very essential for editing. But the Cintiq is more versatile and the pen tip is very accurate - unlike those tablet pc. With the Cintiq, I don't need to set up 2 monitors.

Quote Originally Posted by jopel View Post
    I had been using the wacom tablet it was very essential for editing. But the Cintiq is more versatile and the pen tip is very accurate - unlike those tablet pc. With the Cintiq, I don't need to set up 2 monitors.
    wah u got Cintiq ar!!!

song bo? hmm, u compare to which tablet pc?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    wah u got Cintiq ar!!!

song bo? hmm, u compare to which tablet pc?
    I would say very good, i work on my bed with it . Comparing with my Intuos 9 x 12 .

Quote Originally Posted by jopel View Post
    I would say very good, i work on my bed with it . Comparing with my Intuos 9 x 12 .
    compare to tablet pc lah, intuos not intuition...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltzar View Post
    hi guys/gals

I've had a wacom intuos-3 for about 2 years and it is largely unused because I can't get used to using a pen in photoshop. Does anyone share such experience?

How do you get used to using a pen? I know its about practice... but I just can't seem to get my motor skills around it ...
    It's about practice. I use an Intuos3 4x5. It felt awkward at first, but now that I'm used to it, I realize its value. No way I could go back to retouching with just a mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by willyfoo View Post
    My first tablet was a cheap china branded tablet with that holds a AAA batter in it's body.. doens't hover and only recognises upon touch.. and has no pressure sensitivity.

Then I bought the intuous 4x5 and started loving it for my everyday use and feel akward going into photoshop without using the pen. But I have a wide screen on my notebook and sometime use dual screens and thus wasted a lot of vertical space on the 4x5. Thus I got the 6x11.

I personally feel that the best feature is the pressure sensitivity which allows control of brush/mask size & opacity. I would feel handicapped creating a mask without the pen knowing that I could have created a much smoother/more controlled mask with the pen.
    I love it for web browsing as well with Maxthon http://www.maxthon.com which is a IE7 based browser which has 'Super Drag & Drop'.. just click on a link and drag it a few pixels and drop and it will open the links as a page in the background. (You could do it with a mouse of course, but it's just a breeze with a flick of your pen).

Now, on the topic of Cintiq or Tablet PCs.. I have owned 3 tablet PCs to date.. HP1000tc (can't remember the model now).. the Fujitsu 4220 and the HP tx2000 (current), the latter 2 which are "Penabled Wacom"). Now I never use the pen on the tablet for photoediting for 2 reasons.
    1 - You don't have access to the keyboards for your Ctrl,Alt,Shift modifiers and your keybord shortcuts, something which a good photoshopper will definitely need!
    2 - I find it having my pen on the screen less accurate than using a seperate tablet (perhaps it's psychological having my hand block part of the screen, perhaps it's the alignment that's a few pixels off..) moreover, I can always see my cursor when i'm using the seperate tablet. Thus I think the Cintiq may not be that useful for me as well, but I've yet to try it myself.
    bought a cheap tx2000... hehe...

anyway so far so good, i reversed the screen and put on table like a drawing board and place a keyboard above it... and with a mouse on the side, and a 3D connexion on the other... cheap man's cintiq...

Got the bamboo... totally untouched up till now. Hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by juliet View Post
    Got the bamboo... totally untouched up till now. Hahaha.
    what a waste.. you can always donate it to me..

Quote Originally Posted by Ashleyy View Post
    what a waste.. you can always donate it to me..
    hahaha, nice try!

I use an Intuos 3 a5 sized Tablet...

Can't live without it when I'm on Photoshop, but can't live without the mouse when I'm surfing.

Just to inform all who are looking for a Wacom, I have a brand new Wacom Intuos3 6" x 8" for sale:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=410882

Thanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123