Thread: Beware the RAINBOW

Default Beware the RAINBOW

Just had a nasty experience this Friday the 13th morning.

2 weeks ago I got a call from a 'cleaning' company called RAINBOW who said that I'm entiteld to a one hour free cleaning of my bed /mattress and sofa to get rid of dustmites. It was apparently referred to by a distant relative. We were thrilled.

Today the lady came armed with a huge RAINBOW water vacuum cleaner and as I showed her our mattress and sofa, she asked if we mind a 'small' demo. I began to suspect something amiss (I've used a mobile cleaning service before and they don't do demos)

As it turns our the cleaning session WAS her demo. She talked as she sucked ...talk, suck, talk, suck (ok this doesn't sound quite right after a while). Anyway...I let her talk and suck as she demonstrated how good a dustmite sucker her machine was...My wife was getting annoyed but nevermind, I told her...its a small price to pay for getting rid of the dustmites.

Last straw came when she was about to leave and told me to refer 2 pages full of friends to her...one page has about 8...I gave her 2 of my 'distant friends' but she demanded 2 pages -16! (I'm a nice chap and don't have that many people to torment)

Anyway, that's when the Mrs. came to the rescue and with her impeccable Chinese (oh yes, the lady was a mainland Chinese - no offence) and told her to finish her cleaning and get out (in a nice way).

So...folks...beware the RAINBOW

Default Re: Beware the RAINBOW

I never understand why would people 'sacrifice' other people by refering them to such direct sales?
    I would never give any number if I'm being asked, knowing that I don't like to be in their position.

If I'm not buying the product, I will the sales the reason is their product fail to impress me, why would I refer it to my friends/relatives. If i'm buying, then I will tell the sales to come back to me for the reference if I'm satisfied with the after sales service.

Blog Entries

nothing is for free, just say no

Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    As it turns our the cleaning session WAS her demo. She talked as she sucked ...talk, suck, talk, suck (ok this doesn't sound quite right after a while).
    Same what.

For free photography, the shooter will also just shoot......talk, suck, shoot, talk, suck, shoot, talk, suck, suck.....until the people who expect free photography realise what free means.
    Last edited by Sion; 13th June 2008 at 03:18 PM.

Wah, these fellas STILL at it? I remember them coming to my place to do a demo - Back in 1987!

I guess something about their business model must work for them to be around for so long, because their vacuuming system is really rubbish.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    Wah, these fellas STILL at it? I remember them coming to my place to do a demo - Back in 1987!

I guess something about their business model must work for them to be around for so long, because their vacuuming system is really rubbish.
    I think I received such call before one or two years ago but I just told them I'm not free. Nothing is free in Spore!

oh... other then Rainbow, beware of Lux too (not the shampoo Lux) they are doing the similar stuff...

Lux will start with survey and try getting in to your place, after go in to your place then they will start to do a free demo... after demo then try to hard sell to you... can easily last for 3hour

BEWARE!!!
    Life is like Photography, to improve, you have to keep shooting!

oh..there was this company handing out free coffee makers at suntec last month. as part of the deal, a lady from another company came by to demo one of these machines..not rainbow. we just let her get on with it. up front i told her i don't really have intention of buying but she was welcome to demo. that she did...gave us some comparisons with rainbow etc..then after some time she was finally convinced we weren't going to buy so she said thanks and left. at least she didn't force me to recommend friends

Ask yourself how are you going to survive by offering free service to a stranger? There is no free lunch in this world and she is doing her job promoting her stuffs, also in the same time get some more leads from you. I see nothing wrong. You are lucky that she is not hard core persistent....if not you will have nightmare

Demo on vacuum still on?

Years ago back in the 90s I was at a relatives house saw this myself.
    The sales staff just refused to go after two hours until we wanted to call the police.

The sales staff wanted two pages of "referrals"? Just take the yellow pages/phone book & copy & give it to her. Since she was MIC, copy all the indian/malay names let her do the cold calling.

I got tricked too. A fella came to my house introducing himself as a student from NTU here to conduct a survey on air quality and pollutants in the area. I obliged and he called in the RAINBOW demo-er. Quite pissed off. I reported to NTU the following day.

Blardy expensive vacuum cleaner too.

Call police if the salesperson refuses to leave, or just go about doing some stuff, ignore him. Or best, deliberately do something irritating to chase him/her off. Say play some heavy metal music on full blast.

Actually I like their demo, free cleaning of dustmite from my bed matress.

My friend chase them for more demo to his place until they avoid him ... hahahhaa
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Quote Originally Posted by megaweb View Post
    Actually I like their demo, free cleaning of dustmite from my bed matress.

My friend chase them for more demo to his place until they avoid him ... hahahhaa
    best solution i have heard so far.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Their tactics sound like MLM

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Their tactics sound like MLM
    I think they different from MLM, they call direct sales. their style is cold call bang door type.
    Life is like Photography, to improve, you have to keep shooting!

Actually thier main purpose is to sell you the vacuum cleaner not free cleaning service, you got it wrong in the first place. In fact Rainbow is one of the household vacuum cleaner from US and it has quite a few good function, inclusive of cleaning ur dustmite.

If you dont like it... just let her clean ur mattrest and tell her that you dont like that vacuum cleaner. Or the best is to avoid it... but as yourself, why in the first place u agree her into ur house?? Is it because the word "Free"??

vince123123
    Guests

Most MLM are direct sales, and most direct sales are MLMs.

Quote Originally Posted by egnaro View Post
    I think they different from MLM, they call direct sales. their style is cold call bang door type.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Most MLM are direct sales, and most direct sales are MLMs.
    Some MLMs twist words around. And I can say most, or at least most I encountered have zero ethics and integrity.