Page 1 of 8 1236 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 143

Thread: It's tough being a Singaporean overseas sometimes

  1. #1
    Member lennyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,520

    Default It's tough being a Singaporean overseas sometimes

    Long time ago, we had the Michael Fay incident.

    Then some bright spark decided to ban chewing gum.

    Then people got the two mixed up and assume if you bring chewing gum into Singapore, you get caned.

    And of course, there's always the "so which part of China is that?" questions.

    For a while, Batman bin Supraman was pretty famous.

    And now, we have Samuel Ong to thank for more notoriety.

  2. #2

    Default Re: It's tough being a Singaporean overseas sometimes

    Haha, same sentiments here. Well, not everyone knows Singapore. When you are in Europe and when you strike up a conversation with someone, they immediately classify you under Chinese. To them there's not much difference between Malaysian and Singaporean Chinese and HK, TW, and Chinese Chinese. Chewing gum is like a landmark. When you said you are from Singapore, the topic will be changed to chewing gum.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    KFC
    Posts
    1,776

    Default Re: It's tough being a Singaporean overseas sometimes

    Quote Originally Posted by leejay View Post
    Haha, same sentiments here. Well, not everyone knows Singapore. When you are in Europe and when you strike up a conversation with someone, they immediately classify you under Chinese. To them there's not much difference between Malaysian and Singaporean Chinese and HK, TW, and Chinese Chinese. Chewing gum is like a landmark. When you said you are from Singapore, the topic will be changed to chewing gum.
    well, thats because of our skin, we of course look and definitely is a chinese.

    Every Ang Moh i see on the street are americans to me. To me, europeans, americans, brazillians, french or watever are just another Ang Moh that is american to me. No diff...
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

  4. #4
    Member Hitman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    1º22´ N, 103º48´ E
    Posts
    1,311

    Default Re: It's tough being a Singaporean overseas sometimes

    Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2 View Post
    well, thats because of our skin, we of course look and definitely is a chinese.

    Every Ang Moh i see on the street are americans to me. To me, europeans, americans, brazillians, french or watever are just another Ang Moh that is american to me. No diff...
    Which reminds me of a joke....

    A Chinese walks into a bar in America late one night and he saw Steven Spielberg. As he was a great fan of his movies, he rushes over to him, and asks for his autograph.

    Instead, Spielberg gives him a slap and says, "You Chinese people bombed our Pearl Habour, get outta here."

    The astonished Chinese man replied, "It was not the Chinese who bombed your Pearl Harbour, it was the Japanese". "Chinese, Japanese, Taiwanese, you're all the same," replied Spielberg.

    In return, the Chinese gives Spielberg a slap and says, "You sank the Titanic, my forefathers were on that ship."Shocked, Spielberg replied! , "It was the iceberg that sank the ship, not me."

    The Chinese replies, "Iceberg, Spielberg, Carlsberg, you're all the same."
    Pictures always should have a special story behind it or a special meaning to the photographer.

  5. #5

    Default Re: It's tough being a Singaporean overseas sometimes

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Which reminds me of a joke....

    A Chinese walks into a bar in America late one night and he saw Steven Spielberg. As he was a great fan of his movies, he rushes over to him, and asks for his autograph.

    Instead, Spielberg gives him a slap and says, "You Chinese people bombed our Pearl Habour, get outta here."

    The astonished Chinese man replied, "It was not the Chinese who bombed your Pearl Harbour, it was the Japanese". "Chinese, Japanese, Taiwanese, you're all the same," replied Spielberg.

    In return, the Chinese gives Spielberg a slap and says, "You sank the Titanic, my forefathers were on that ship."Shocked, Spielberg replied! , "It was the iceberg that sank the ship, not me."

    The Chinese replies, "Iceberg, Spielberg, Carlsberg, you're all the same."
    HAHAHA. Excellent joke.

  6. #6

    Default Re: It's tough being a Singaporean overseas sometimes

    From the title of the post, it can also be read differently.

    It's tough being a Singaporean overseas sometimes, because sometimes the China Chinese do embarrass us terribly.

    Was in Paris recently and was at a road crossing. This bunch of China tourists were waiting for their turn to cross when suddenly a few of them cleared their throat and spit on the road. The French people looked at them, and then looked at my wife and I - we had to tell the French "We're from Singapore - they are from China. Very different".

  7. #7

    Default Re: It's tough being a Singaporean overseas sometimes

    Quote Originally Posted by lennyl View Post
    Long time ago, we had the Michael Fay incident.

    Then some bright spark decided to ban chewing gum.

    Then people got the two mixed up and assume if you bring chewing gum into Singapore, you get caned.

    And of course, there's always the "so which part of China is that?" questions.

    For a while, Batman bin Supraman was pretty famous.

    And now, we have Samuel Ong to thank for more notoriety.
    Pardon me for not catching up on the news.... but who is Samuel Ong? And what did he do?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Re: It's tough being a Singaporean overseas sometimes

    they immediately classify you under Chinese. To them there's not much difference between Malaysian and Singaporean Chinese
    You cannot expect others to not classify you as Chinese when you do it yourself in the very next sentence - the noun in "Singaporean Chinese" is still "Chinese", with "Singaporean" only as an adjective. I.e. you put the Chinese-ness above the Singaporean-ness.

    Not to mention that there are lots of Singaporeans of non-Chinese heritage who would hardly be mistaken for Chinese nationals.

  9. #9
    Member lennyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,520

    Default Re: It's tough being a Singaporean overseas sometimes

    Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    Pardon me for not catching up on the news.... but who is Samuel Ong? And what did he do?
    I guess we could call him a "camera enthusiast"

    http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&cl...TF-8&scoring=d

  10. #10

    Default Re: It's tough being a Singaporean overseas sometimes

    I guess this sort of things happen all around the world, just that he hit headlines...

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Land of the woods........
    Posts
    1,360

    Default Re: It's tough being a Singaporean overseas sometimes

    I was in a train in India when a group of PRC chinese men boarded the train in the middle of the night and started gambling and smoking right next to my cubicle, as they booked the one next to mine. On my way to the toilet, the train master suddenly grabbed my hand and said:" Tell your friends no smoking in the train!" I told him we're not related but he insisted i'm one of them.

    The next day, the group had alighted and he was surprised i was still around and realised his mistake. Treated me very politely afterwards.

    Well....don't say the Ang Mos, even the Indians cannot tell us apart..........

  12. #12

    Default Re: It's tough being a Singaporean overseas sometimes

    Quote Originally Posted by Ah_Seng View Post
    Well....don't say the Ang Mos, even the Indians cannot tell us apart..........
    Even the China Chinese can't tell us apart.

    Another incident in that same Paris trip - my wife and I went to the Louvre Museum and after walking around, we went to the souvenir shop. There was this table that displayed the Louvre Guidebook in various languages - English, Japanese, Spanish, German, Chinese etc etc. We were looking for the English version and this group of China Chinese (who were browsing and talking loudly as usual) took a copy of the Chinese Guidebook and handed it to me.

    Indignantly, I told him loudly "I'm looking for the English version". We found it - took it - paid and walked off.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: It's tough being a Singaporean overseas sometimes

    Quote Originally Posted by lennyl View Post
    I guess we could call him a "camera enthusiast"

    http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&cl...TF-8&scoring=d
    He should be given lessons in proper photographic techniques.

    Maybe he was inspired by Guru Edison?

  14. #14
    Member lennyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,520

    Default Re: It's tough being a Singaporean overseas sometimes

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Even the China Chinese can't tell us apart.
    Funny you should say that. In Beijing a year ago, I was stopped a few times by people asking for directions (no, they were not con artists). Amazing thing is I actually managed to give directions once

    On the flip side, in Singapore, I was sometimes mistaken for a foreigner (not from PRC though - my Chinese is not good enough). C'mon, I haven't been away that long...

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    We were looking for the English version and this group of China Chinese (who were browsing and talking loudly as usual) took a copy of the Chinese Guidebook and handed it to me.

    Indignantly, I told him loudly "I'm looking for the English version". We found it - took it - paid and walked off.
    From what I've observed, among Chinese from PRC, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore, we're the only one who prefer to read in English. I think it is in large part thanks to our education, where most subjects are in English.

    Not knowing anything else other than what you described, I thought the guy who passed you the Chinese book is being extraordinarily helpful.

  15. #15

    Default Re: It's tough being a Singaporean overseas sometimes

    Quote Originally Posted by lennyl View Post
    Not knowing anything else other than what you described, I thought the guy who passed you the Chinese book is being extraordinarily helpful.
    It's the tone in his voice and attitute like "You're Chinese, this is the only version for you" that pissed us off.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,922

    Default Re: It's tough being a Singaporean overseas sometimes

    Hahahahahahahahahahha!! They don't call you King of Kopitiam for nothing!

  17. #17
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: It's tough being a Singaporean overseas sometimes

    Once I was walking in Paris a French policeman stopped me and asked: "Où est-ce que vous allez?"

    I was taken aback as I couldn't speak French. So I replied, "Bei Hiaw Kon lah."

    He looked at me and said, "You Where from?"

    I said, "Sin Ka Pore."

    He seemed not to understand me, "Excusez-moi?"

    So I said, "Great Wall."

    Now he seemed to be happy with my reply and waved me away.

  18. #18

    Default Re: It's tough being a Singaporean overseas sometimes

    Yesterday while in a tram in amsterdam, I needed to ask the black conductor (obviously an imported Dutch) the location of the stop for a superlong Dutch street name, and since I was unable to pronounce it, I have to show him the image for the street sign and all he did was laugh at me and when I asked him again, he said he didnt know where the hell was the stop..... and so got no choice but have to move further to the front of the long tram .... and after 5 mins, heard over the superloud speaker system in the tram .... "hey, the man from China, alight at the next station ... ya,,, the man from China" ...." ....

    i believe they also think that, we, the yellow skin creatures are also all kungfu experts
    always the Light, .... always.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: It's tough being a Singaporean overseas sometimes

    Once I was visiting Singapore an Ang Moh tourist stopped me and asked how to get to Anderson Bridge.

    I didn't want to tell him I was a tourist just like him.

    So I figured out "Anderson" is "Ang Moh" right? And "Bridge" is "Kiew".

    I told me to catch a MTR to Ang Moh Kiew and suitably proud of my knowlege of Singapore and Hokkien.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,922

    Default Re: It's tough being a Singaporean overseas sometimes

    Singapore will forever be part of China. LOL!

Page 1 of 8 1236 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •