Thread: Macro lens for potraiture?

Default Macro lens for potraiture?

hi,

Ive a tamron 90mm macro lens and i was wondering if its a good lens for potraiture as well? Or would buying a different lens for such potraiture work be better? Some people have been saying that it might be too sharp for potraiture though im not sure why that would be a bad thing especially if i still could achieve the bokeh effect. Thanks

Default Re: Macro lens for potraiture?

Quote Originally Posted by dark-serpentine View Post
    hi,

Ive a tamron 90mm macro lens and i was wondering if its a good lens for potraiture as well? Or would buying a different lens for such potraiture work be better? Some people have been saying that it might be too sharp for potraiture though im not sure why that would be a bad thing especially if i still could achieve the bokeh effect. Thanks
    For a start, it is really good, just stick with it for a while.

i would think the slow af would be a bigger problem than lens sharpness.

Tamron 90 is a very well regarded Tamron lens that some say it is the only Tamron you need to buy. If you are already pleased with your current shots and the bokeh, I think it is all that really matters

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    i would think the slow af would be a bigger problem than lens sharpness.
    I haven't tried the Tamron 90mm Macro, so cannot comment on its slow AF performance, but I've tried both the Sony Carl Zeiss 58mm f/1.4 and Canon 85mm f/1.2L, both focus quite sluggishly as well. But for (relatively static) portrait photography, it should not be much of an issue, no?
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

i'm not 100% sure but i believe all lenses that were meant for macro photography focus pretty slow... so for non-macro use, you might find it a tad slow to AF...

Quote Originally Posted by mckenzy View Post
    i'm not 100% sure but i believe all lenses that were meant for macro photography focus pretty slow... so for non-macro use, you might find it a tad slow to AF...
    My Nikon 105mm micro focuses pretty fast for non macro work.

AF is not reliable down to macro levels and hunts easily.

Ryan

you can use the t90 for portraits. i did that before. but like what others have said before, the AF is on the slow side, especially in darker surroundings. no worries about sharpness.

I tink prime lens is still the best for protraits?

Quote Originally Posted by ishou80 View Post
    I tink prime lens is still the best for protraits?
    Tamron 90mm is a prime lens

Ryan

macro lens is really sharp so when used to shoot people, all flaws and pores will be visible which means more PP work for you. From what I read in mags.. some fashion photographer actually uses the Canon 100mm macro for their fashion shoot. And with good light, AF should not be a problem.

if your lens is too sharp and your subject does not want you to bring out his/her wrinkles... you have to waste time on DI.

Not bad. Just that the largest aperture is f2.8

Some prefer less DOF so they get the f1.8 r f1.4's instead...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Oh thanks guys and yeah i agree that the Af is really slow. I love it for my macro work but had it when it comes to portraiture because i tend to shoot in horrible lighting conditions. Guess with more practice with lighting conditions it'll be ok.

Hi, newbie here. I've been playing with the tamron 90mm macro for 1 week plus. Tried some macro shots. Sharpness and slow AF as many bros mentioned. I have not tried it for portraits, but I think at 90mm, you will need alot of distance for a full body shot isnt it? (something like 5-6m or more from the model) Taking just the face and shoulders should be no prob.

Quote Originally Posted by bEnd1ck View Post
    Hi, newbie here. I've been playing with the tamron 90mm macro for 1 week plus. Tried some macro shots. Sharpness and slow AF as many bros mentioned. I have not tried it for portraits, but I think at 90mm, you will need alot of distance for a full body shot isnt it? (something like 5-6m or more from the model) Taking just the face and shoulders should be no prob.
    Yup. Especially with a cropped sensor you need to put even more distance from the subject.

Ryan