Thread: Larger than A2 prints

Default Larger than A2 prints

If your clients wants a larger than A2 print, but max A1, can the current DSLR (excluding 1DsMk3) meet the demand? I mean even if we shoot RAW and save in tiff, with some re-sizing, can it produce decent enlargement?

Default Re: Larger than A2 prints

Quote Originally Posted by YEOWMING View Post
    If your clients wants a larger than A2 print, but max A1, can the current DSLR (excluding 1DsMk3) meet the demand? I mean even if we shoot RAW and save in tiff, with some re-sizing, can it produce decent enlargement?
    I've shot with 40D and made A1 prints (stepped resizing) with very beautiful results.

if your original is good, not a problem.

I have 24x30 printed from D200
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Thanks, but what is stepped resizing?

My concern is this,... for quality prints, printing resolution setting should be 300dpi right? considering 33.1 X 23.4 inches (at 300dpi) = 9930 X 7020 pixels, but a typical 10Mb camera can't produce that right?

You may also want to checkout a program like GenuineFractals.
    http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=2

Supposed to be pretty good if you feed it a decent image to begin with.

My concern is this,... for quality prints, printing resolution setting should be 300dpi right? considering 33.1 X 23.4 inches (at 300dpi) = 9930 X 7020 pixels, but a typical 10Mb camera can't produce that right?
    I enlarge 10% at a time, with Bicubic smoother selected until the required dimensions. Can also check out what Aspect has recommended, thought I don't use it. The Fred Miranda Stair Interpolation (which seems to be an automation of the stepped resizing that I use manually) has good reviews I think.

As with all forms of enlargements, the source image must be properly exposed to begin with (i.e., not using PS to bump up or recover exposure probs).

Quote Originally Posted by shinken View Post
    I enlarge 10% at a time, with Bicubic smoother selected until the required dimensions. Can also check out what Aspect has recommended, thought I don't use it. The Fred Miranda Stair Interpolation (which seems to be an automation of the stepped resizing that I use manually) has good reviews I think.

As with all forms of enlargements, the source image must be properly exposed to begin with (i.e., not using PS to bump up or recover exposure probs).
    Different images may work best with different methods. You may want to try out a few techniques for yourself to see how you like them.

Thanks once again, for such enlargement, it seemed that tripod mount with proper lighting is mandatory. I tried one handheld shot, althought considered sharp by normal standard. you can really tell the difference, esp when on F1.2, the focal point became even more apparent.

Question NACHI

Brother's great, I top you and I are also top-Jin top。NACHIIKONTNINA

If you're using PS CS2 and above, don't bother about stepped resizing. Just resize to your target size. I find the result much better than stepped resizing.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    If you're using PS CS2 and above, don't bother about stepped resizing. Just resize to your target size. I find the result much better than stepped resizing.
    Wow? Are you serious? It will be wonderful if we can skip stepped resizing!
    Last edited by triotary; 23rd June 2008 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by triotary View Post
    Yes I am.. In fact, the stepped resizing didn't look as good, so I sort of felt that I had wasted my time and effort..

Quote Originally Posted by triotary View Post
    Yes. what the other guys have stated. Stepped resizing doesn't really give you the optimal quality.

Cheers!