Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Fisheye vs ultra-wide angle

  1. #1

    Default Fisheye vs ultra-wide angle

    What is exactly the difference between a fisheye lens and an ultra-wide angle lens?

    I understand that a fisheye gives you a 180 degree view, but with vignetting ie your field of view is round instead of rectangular. An ultrawide angle lens, on the other hand, gives you a rectangular field of view.

    What puzzles me is why there is a 15mm fisheye lens, and a 14mm ultrawide angle lens. Which would give a wider field of view? If the 15mm fisheye gives you a 180 degree field of view, does that mean the 14mm gives you a field of view greater than 180 degrees?

    Would much appreciate some clarification on this, or links to a site that may help.

  2. #2

    Default

    I think the 14mm will give a lesser field of view due to rectilinear correction...

    Wait for the technical experts to answer this...

  3. #3
    ClubSNAP Admin
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    ClubSNAP
    Posts
    667,073

    Default

    Originally posted by zapp!
    I think the 14mm will give a lesser field of view due to rectilinear correction...

    Wait for the technical experts to answer this...
    I have a Sigma 14mm f/2.8 Prime, anyone wanna try it out?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    If I am not wrong, there are 2 types of fisheye lenses - the one which gives severely distorted images covering 180 or more angle of view, giving you a circular image, and the rectilinear one which is more or less an ultrawide angle.

    So, a 15mm fisheye can actually have more angle of view than a 14mm rectilinear lens, which has less distortion.

    Regards
    CK

  5. #5

    Default

    So basically angle of view does not always correspond to focal length?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,464

    Default

    Hi

    slightly off topic:

    i have read on dpreview (and they have shown samples) that with a fisheye lens on a digital SLR, the 1.6x multiplier does not crop the FOV 1.6 times. in fact, u will get a focal length very close to the lens' 35mm focal length (eg u can get near 15mm for a 15mm fisheye on a D30)

    in other words, if not for the intended distortion of a fisheye lens, u can achieve very wide angles with a digital SLR and a fisheye lens....
    David Teo
    View my work and blog at http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by StreetShooter
    So basically angle of view does not always correspond to focal length?
    99% of the time, it does. Except when it comes to non-rectilinear fisheye lenses. I was confused initially too.

    Regards
    CK

  8. #8

    Default

    Originally posted by Simon


    I have a Sigma 14mm f/2.8 Prime, anyone wanna try it out?
    How much was the Sigma 14?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    somewhere near...
    Posts
    2,114

    Default Re: Fisheye vs ultra-wide angle

    Originally posted by StreetShooter
    What is exactly the difference between a fisheye lens and an ultra-wide angle lens?

    I understand that a fisheye gives you a 180 degree view, but with vignetting ie your field of view is round instead of rectangular. An ultrawide angle lens, on the other hand, gives you a rectangular field of view.

    What puzzles me is why there is a 15mm fisheye lens, and a 14mm ultrawide angle lens. Which would give a wider field of view? If the 15mm fisheye gives you a 180 degree field of view, does that mean the 14mm gives you a field of view greater than 180 degrees?

    Would much appreciate some clarification on this, or links to a site that may help.
    I read a book saying fisheye gives up to 220degree!! How true is that?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •