Thread: Polaroid is gone soon

Blog Entries

Default Re: Polaroid is gone soon

cough cough, now boys and girls

please stop fighting
    remember, no personal attacks

Hi there alternatve,

Before you start criticizing others you should perhaps talk a long hard look at the way in which you do it. Bobdoom has done absolutely nothing wrong by voicing a somewhat amusing emotional opinion. Nobody was holding a gun to your head to read this thread, much less post your aggressive drivel in it. It also seems to me that if you are going to find fault in another member's mode of expression you should perhaps consider using a spell-checker (not to mention drumming up some basic mastery of English grammar) in order to avoid looking like a fool yourself.

Allow me to table an example: "Now that it's gone, I won't cry for it's return neither would I mourn it's passing [sic]."

There are so many things wrong with this sentence I barely know where to start. The words "It's" and "Its" are completely different. "Its" represents the possessive form of "it", whereas "it's" represents a joining of the words "it is". Thus, while saying "Now that it's gone..." is correct, "...I won't cry for it's return..." and "...would I mourn it's passing." are completely wrong. Perhaps you would like to check this before you press "submit" on your next post. Furthermore, your use of the word "would" is completely out of place here, and should be substituted with "will".

There was no need to attack Bobdoom on his post.
    Cameras: Rollei 35, Rolleiflex-T, FinePix F700, Nikon D60, D300
    Pics: Churchwolf's Album.

Quote Originally Posted by Churchwolf View Post
    Hi there alternatve,

Before you start criticizing others you should perhaps talk a long hard look at the way in which you do it. Bobdoom has done absolutely nothing wrong by voicing a somewhat amusing emotional opinion. Nobody was holding a gun to your head to read this thread, much less post your aggressive drivel in it. It also seems to me that if you are going to find fault in another member's mode of expression you should perhaps consider using a spell-checker (not to mention drumming up some basic mastery of English grammar) in order to avoid looking like a fool yourself.

Allow me to table an example: "Now that it's gone, I won't cry for it's return neither would I mourn it's passing [sic]."

There are so many things wrong with this sentence I barely know where to start. The words "It's" and "Its" are completely different. "Its" represents the possessive form of "it", whereas "it's" represents a joining of the words "it is". Thus, while saying "Now that it's gone..." is correct, "...I won't cry for it's return..." and "...would I mourn it's passing." are completely wrong. Perhaps you would like to check this before you press "submit" on your next post. Furthermore, your use of the word "would" is completely out of place here, and should be substituted with "will".

There was no need to attack Bobdoom on his post.
    It was never my intention to direct a personal attack to bobdoom, but merely to inform him about his use of words and reactions. Unfortunately, I didn't choose my words carefully enough and replied in the heat of the moment.

However, I am not taking back my comments. A public forum like Clubsnap is no place for childish banter, but for serious discussion. The way I see it, a person should act his age and then some especially in a public setting whether offline or online. Again, it is my fault that I didn't choose the correct words and I see that now.

Regarding the section about Polaroid, I have used Polaroids before and have found them neither useful nor cost effective nor nice to look at, hence my sharp comments.

I would also like to protest the highly corrosive comments by the TS that followed my first post. (It has now been edited off) I was taken aback by the strong reaction and in that state of mind posted the second post.

Churchwolf, I appreciate your kind comments on my use of language and especially on my choice of words. I admire your command of the english language and strive to reach the same level especially since I am effectively monolingual. However, there is a place and time for everything and I can't help to detect a concealed attack coming from your direction by attacking my use of the english language. I certainly hope that I am just chasing at shadows.

As for the other comments pertaining to myself, I do not wish to comment on them.

Good day

Samuel
    f/8 and be there.

Quote Originally Posted by alternatve View Post
    It was never my intention to direct a personal attack to bobdoom, but merely to inform him about his use of words and reactions. Unfortunately, I didn't choose my words carefully enough and replied in the heat of the moment.

However, I am not taking back my comments. A public forum like Clubsnap is no place for childish banter, but for serious discussion. The way I see it, a person should act his age and then some especially in a public setting whether offline or online. Again, it is my fault that I didn't choose the correct words and I see that now.

Regarding the section about Polaroid, I have used Polaroids before and have found them neither useful nor cost effective nor nice to look at, hence my sharp comments.

I would also like to protest the highly corrosive comments by the TS that followed my first post. (It has now been edited off) I was taken aback by the strong reaction and in that state of mind posted the second post.

Churchwolf, I appreciate your kind comments on my use of language and especially on my choice of words. I admire your command of the english language and strive to reach the same level especially since I am effectively monolingual. However, there is a place and time for everything and I can't help to detect a concealed attack coming from your direction by attacking my use of the english language. I certainly hope that I am just chasing at shadows.

As for the other comments pertaining to myself, I do not wish to comment on them.

Good day

Samuel
    Hi Samuel,

The TS posted in Kopitiam which is a place where we can be less serious, it seems that you were not aware of this. I agree that sometimes we need to discuss seriously.......but it is fun too to discuss things in a playful way, life is fun! Sion is a good example who can lighten up our lives here in Singapore with his funny comments and word play, but then again he has too much fun in Australia!

But life is already so serious, many people need to let off steam sometimes, if we were all so serious then this world would be a very boring place to live in, isn't it?

I understand that you were taken aback by the TS reaction, but have you thought about your own writing which lead to the TS reaction, there is a cause for everything: "Btw, please do act your age in a internet forum. ........." It has kind of a paternalistic way of saying in it.......if you understand what I mean.

The thing is that in Kopitiam this kind of behaviour is accepted, and it was meant to be a quasi not-so serious comment on his need to get this film (I still don't know what Spectra film is, but that aside)

So, Samuel, I would say: be less serious as life is already serious enough!

Hong Sien

Kopitiam is meant to be a less serious place than other sub-forum.

Good day

Samuel
    Fair enough. I may have been a little harsh too so please don't take it too seriously! Afterall, as the others have pointed out, if there is a place for childish/immature banter then it is here. Let's just enjoy ourselves!

Arrow Re: Polaroid is gone soon

I vote to rename the kopitiam to kowpehtiam.

Quote Originally Posted by xtemujin View Post
    I vote to rename the kopitiam to kowpehtiam.
    btw,

do you guys know what the meaning of "kowpeh"?

better don't anyhow mention this word in front of your father, else you get a slap from him.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    btw,

do you guys know what the meaning of "kowpeh"?

better don't anyhow mention this word in front of your father, else you get a slap from him.
    My father wouldn't know what the hell that means.

My father wouldn't know what the hell that means.
    ok, that's mean "cry father", which happen during the funeral when those children of the decease making loud cry to show to others they are the most filial.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

one day never check... so happening this thread!!!!! anyway i did edit my reply to Alterve or something... because when i 1st read his comment.... wahhhh angry man me.... what i do....
    so type type type.... scold him la........ but 1 min later.... i think.... better tone down.... LOL. u see... i so nice right.... whahahahhaah anyway spectra is a instant film by polaroid. Its out of production... anyway thks dudes... ill be bringing in the films myself....

actually i don't mind him attacking me personally..verbally or whatever now..... this thread was in the general chat end up in kopitiam posts.... since already end up here... might as well quarrell... ahahahah alterve,.. u 580ex speedlite without flash...u d20 with no handgrip.....u photon light without fuse......etc... bleh.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdoom View Post
    one day never check... so happening this thread!!!!! anyway i did edit my reply to Alterve or something... because when i 1st read his comment.... wahhhh angry man me.... what i do....
    so type type type.... scold him la........ but 1 min later.... i think.... better tone down.... LOL. u see... i so nice right.... whahahahhaah anyway spectra is a instant film by polaroid. Its out of production... anyway thks dudes... ill be bringing in the films myself....

actually i don't mind him attacking me personally..verbally or whatever now..... this thread was in the general chat end up in kopitiam posts.... since already end up here... might as well quarrell... ahahahah alterve,.. u 580ex speedlite without flash...u d20 with no handgrip.....u photon light without fuse......etc... bleh.
    Fair enough. I may have been a little harsh too so please don't take it too seriously! Afterall, as the others have pointed out, if there is a place for childish/immature banter then it is here. Let's just enjoy ourselves!
    I agree. Again, let me apologise for antagonising the both of you. Peace?

Btw, I think it's better to stick to Fuji Instax cameras and film rather then Polaroid. Fuji alwasy made better film then Polaroid plus supply is still up and coming. If all else fails, get a MF/LF camera and a polaroid back with Fuji FP100C (I believe that is the number) and keep on shooting.

Samuel
    f/8 and be there.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    ok, that's mean "cry father", which happen during the funeral when those children of the decease making loud cry to show to others they are the most filial.
    Ok. Now I'm confused. I don't know what the heck this means because my understanding of Singlish, or any of the other primary languages and dialects spoken in Singapore, is decidedly thin on the ground. Perhaps you can explain? Just to clarify, I was joking about my father. What I meant to say was that he wouldn't know what it means because he wouldn't be able to understand the word... bluuurrrrrrr!

I agree. Again, let me apologise for antagonising the both of you. Peace?

Btw, I think it's better to stick to Fuji Instax cameras and film rather then Polaroid. Fuji alwasy made better film then Polaroid plus supply is still up and coming. If all else fails, get a MF/LF camera and a polaroid back with Fuji FP100C (I believe that is the number) and keep on shooting.

Samuel
    Hurrah! Peace at last!

Ok. Now I'm confused. I don't know what the heck this means because my understanding of Singlish, or any of the other primary languages and dialects spoken in Singapore, is decidedly thin on the ground. Perhaps you can explain? Just to clarify, I was joking about my father. What I meant to say was that he wouldn't know what it means because he wouldn't be able to understand the word... bluuurrrrrrr!
    I believe what he means is some kids act as they are the most filial to the deceased person so that they can get an edge when the will comes. Nasty stuff indeed. I hope my family doesn't become that way in the future.

Btw, how did Polaroids turn into funerals?

Samuel
    f/8 and be there.

Samuel
    Hi Samuel,

Guess you do not know too much about Polaroid.
    Polaroid does make very good film! Films like the 50, 70 and 80 series
    are one of the few best instant film ever make by Polaroid!
    You should read up more about Polaroid before you post anything
    or any comment about Polaroid!

You think Fuji could do good instant film without Polaroid? I dun think so!
    Without Polaroid Fuji dun even does instant film!

What i believe! Sometime imperfection is better than perfection!

Hope you will change you mind about Polaroid and read more
    about Polaroid! Without Polaroid all pictures taken back in the
    late 40's you can only see the pictures in the darkroom and
    not on the beach and anywhere you want to! Without Dr Edwin land
    for his great invention and never stop believing in his work! Instant
    photography will not even be possible!

one more thing... the polaroid film effect u get from polaroid cams is not the same as fuji ones. and i love polaroid because of the raw feel. if i wanted something clean... might as well i shoot with digital...
    xavier.... once my sx-70 come in...,... help me mod!!! and teach me how to use!!! ahahaha i only know how to use... dumbdumb spectra

Well, I understand your feelings. That's why I still use film cameras along with my DSLRs.

Oh, I've read about the history of Polaroid, great product but a disaster of marketing which happens to be the way brands like Leica and Kodak are going towards now...

Samuel
    f/8 and be there.

Polaroid was a great invention in its era
    it was a breakthrough
    where do we find people like Dr Edwin Land nowadays in Sing?

i mean creators / inventors not copycats re-engineering a minute part of other people's genius NEW creation/idea.

Polaroid (the company) was perhaps too greedy and tight fisted before digital photography became economical and easy

i recall the Polaroid backs for SLR film cameras were horribly expensive
    must have been the royalty the Polaroid wants

so in a sense, they killed themselves
    tiao chi lai mai, for far too long

Quote Originally Posted by eamesboy View Post
    Hi Samuel,

Guess you do not know too much about Polaroid.
    Polaroid does make very good film! Films like the 50, 70 and 80 series
    are one of the few best instant film ever make by Polaroid!
    You should read up more about Polaroid before you post anything
    or any comment about Polaroid!

You think Fuji could do good instant film without Polaroid? I dun think so!
    Without Polaroid Fuji dun even does instant film!

What i believe! Sometime imperfection is better than perfection!

Hope you will change you mind about Polaroid and read more
    about Polaroid! Without Polaroid all pictures taken back in the
    late 40's you can only see the pictures in the darkroom and
    not on the beach and anywhere you want to! Without Dr Edwin land
    for his great invention and never stop believing in his work! Instant
    photography will not even be possible!

cough
    polaroid was a piece of sh&t
    except for Spectra film
    I much prefer the fuji range

Btw, how did Polaroids turn into funerals?
    People take instant photos of the dead mah.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast