Thread: Brands of CPL

Default Brands of CPL

For a newbie, is it necessary to get a branded CPL like B+W or Heliopan? Or would a simple Hoya or Kenko be sufficient? i know it is not a big amount of money, but i am in the phase of start-up cost, which is a sudden spike in my expenditure.

Default Re: Brands of CPL

In my opinion that really depends on what you will be doing later. For example, if you are using Canon and are infected by the L-lens virus (eventually), you might consider getting a cheaper one for your starting lens and then eventually invest more money in a good quality B+W CPL as your lens will share the same filter sizes. Hence, for the time being, just get a Hoya one - they might perhaps be inferior to your B+W CPL, but they do work.
    1D3, EF 16-35mm F2.8L II, EF 24-70mm F2.8L, EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS, Speedlite 580EX II, 420EX

hmm.....i highly doubt that i will go into the L lenses

any idea is the end result of a Hoya vs a B+W significant, assuming all other parameters are the same?

sorry if my questions sound stupid

Quote Originally Posted by user1 View Post

any idea is the end result of a Hoya vs a B+W significant, assuming all other parameters are the same?

Just buy the Hoya if you're starting out. Learn how a CPL works first. Buying a more expensive filter isn't going to help you take better pictures.
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

Well, according to some purists, there is a big difference in the polarisation effect. And also the lower end ones tend to have a colour cast. (placing them over white paper will show the effects)

There are also some claims that the lower end ones tend to delaminate faster (though I've not encountered this problem yet)

So it's up to users and also the pocket comfort zone to choose one which allows you to use it comfortably and get the effect you need.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Circular polarisers have an additional layer known as the quarter wave plate set 45 degree in addition to the existing linear polariser layer. Some people attributed that cheaper materials can add to further degradation from the stacking of the two. ( Compared to a single layer for linear polarisers )

I haven seen anyone do any side by side comparisons, most are anecdotal examples.

But for now I get what is within my budget and use it and throw the rest of the nity considerations behind.

Ryan

For a newbie, is it necessary to get a branded CPL like B+W or Heliopan? Or would a simple Hoya or Kenko be sufficient? i know it is not a big amount of money, but i am in the phase of start-up cost, which is a sudden spike in my expenditure.
    How much is ur budget for the CPL? Depends on what u want to shoot and how often are u gonna use the polarizer, u can justify if u really need to buy the expensive ones. If u can answer the questions, the answer is clear.

Even cheap tokina ones i used to have, works fine. Probably u will miss out the part on the ease of cleaning, "optical quality of the glass" (IMO, diff between brands are not really that significant), how effective is the polarization, and some picky stuff, etc.

For startups, i recommend the Hoya ones. Not too expensive. Easy to sell off in B&S.
    cameras are not made of tofu

For a newbie, is it necessary to get a branded CPL like B+W or Heliopan? Or would a simple Hoya or Kenko be sufficient?
    Hoya and Kenko are brands, too, and their filters are no less "branded" than B+W or Heliopan.

Ya i agree the rest they go go for hoya or hoya cpl

thanks guys. i now know what to do...start slow