Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: The Heart of Singapore

  1. #1

    Default The Heart of Singapore

    Hi guys,

    regarding the picture below, which was cropped and edited (Levels & Curves only), i wanna know about how you guys feel about the composition and of course, i would appreciate other comments as well.
    one more thing, sounds ok to title 'The Heart of Singapore' for this picture?



    million thanks!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    458

    Default Re: The Heart of Singapore

    maybe u should crop away the boat and the building on the left side, i find them abit of distraction

    to add, since your title is the heart of singapore, probably you should use such moody colors, maybe should be something with more vibrant colour

    just my humble opinions
    http://www.dreamstime.com/Ionsoon_info
    So much Creativity So much Technology

  3. #3

    Default Re: The Heart of Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by IONSOON View Post
    maybe u should crop away the boat and the building on the left side, i find them abit of distraction

    to add, since your title is the heart of singapore, probably you should use such moody colors, maybe should be something with more vibrant colour

    just my humble opinions
    although i deliberately included the boat in the pic (which i thought MAYBE it could help bring out the whole picture more), i'll try cropping away the boat and buliding.
    and for the colors, i was actually also trying to give an 'Urban' feel. haha. but guessed i failed.
    thanks alot.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: The Heart of Singapore

    Hi,

    I guess, I would also crop the boat away on the left and also crop away the right (Merlion will be closer to the right edge). Are you able to go higher for a high view? Now, the water from the Merlion looks like spraying on the crowd....if you can show that the water goes in to the river, it will be better. But I know its uncontrollable if you are not on a building. Just suggesting.

    For the colour, I think this colour is more suitable for old photo feel.

    Just my feel of the photo.

  5. #5

    Default Re: The Heart of Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by lastboltnut View Post
    Hi,

    I guess, I would also crop the boat away on the left and also crop away the right (Merlion will be closer to the right edge). Are you able to go higher for a high view? Now, the water from the Merlion looks like spraying on the crowd....if you can show that the water goes in to the river, it will be better. But I know its uncontrollable if you are not on a building. Just suggesting.

    For the colour, I think this colour is more suitable for old photo feel.

    Just my feel of the photo.
    hello!
    so, the boat wasn't SUPPOSED to be there in the first place. haha. nah, thats the highest i could go.
    and the title is wrong for this photo i guess?
    thanks anyway!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: The Heart of Singapore

    There are many ways to visualise and look at a photo, there is no absolute right or wrong in photography. What I voiced out is just my view, based on my preference only. So you may have to make it to you liking...its your photo anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by HTCahHTC View Post
    hello!
    so, the boat wasn't SUPPOSED to be there in the first place. haha. nah, thats the highest i could go.
    and the title is wrong for this photo i guess?
    thanks anyway!

  7. #7

    Default Re: The Heart of Singapore

    Besides the above mentioned by IONSOON and lastboltbnut, i feel, this shot don't seems to bring out the "feel" of "The Heart of Singapore".

    The Merlion park are normally crowded with tourists from other countries and i don't suppose it bring out anything much about the real singapore.

    Maybe you can try places like the HDB, wet markets and kopitiam to get something that can represent the real singapore.

    Just my view.

    Keep Shooting!

  8. #8

    Default Re: The Heart of Singapore

    see, this is the problem when critiquing...

    i like the pic.
    i like the boat (history)
    i like the tourists (present)
    how is an hdb the heart of singapore when one-fourth the population are expats?
    i like your pic and you need those two (boat and tourists with merlion) because it says diversity and the crowd says hustling bustling city. at the heart of singapore is diversity. TS, you do what you feel, what you like because it's your piece. look at this way, salvador dali is world renown, but have you seen his work? it makes no sense and personally i find it demented, yet people call it art. it's not art for me, and being honest art is seen differently by different people. therefore, do what you feel, what you want and experiment find your own style like dali. you crop for yourself or for your client, not because someone told you too. although they mean well, so do i. therefore, ultimately the final decision rests with you anyway. experiment experiment experiment .

  9. #9
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,685
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: The Heart of Singapore

    for your title

    your image does not really show the people (diversity yes, but tourists?)
    In your image i would crop away the top section (the white sky) to make your composition simplier

    because of the distance, we cannot see the facial expressions of the subjects
    and thus losing the emotional aspect of your image
    after all you are talking about "heart"
    and if diversity was your intent, we also cannot see it

    So I would suggest using a WA and go up close to have your subjects in the foreground with the merlion in the background
    facial expressions and diversity is key, merlion secondary and boat is optional

    i hope it helps

  10. #10
    Senior Member velasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    PARISris , Singapore
    Posts
    2,627

    Default Re: The Heart of Singapore

    i actually like the feel of it.
    i love tones was it meant to be PP that way?

  11. #11

    Default Re: The Heart of Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by happyshot View Post
    see, this is the problem when critiquing...

    i like the pic.
    i like the boat (history)
    i like the tourists (present)
    how is an hdb the heart of singapore when one-fourth the population are expats?
    i like your pic and you need those two (boat and tourists with merlion) because it says diversity and the crowd says hustling bustling city. at the heart of singapore is diversity. TS, you do what you feel, what you like because it's your piece. look at this way, salvador dali is world renown, but have you seen his work? it makes no sense and personally i find it demented, yet people call it art. it's not art for me, and being honest art is seen differently by different people. therefore, do what you feel, what you want and experiment find your own style like dali. you crop for yourself or for your client, not because someone told you too. although they mean well, so do i. therefore, ultimately the final decision rests with you anyway. experiment experiment experiment .
    i like the way you convinced me, reali. but still, views are kinda important, aren't they? haha. thanks alot for your comment.

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    for your title

    your image does not really show the people (diversity yes, but tourists?)
    In your image i would crop away the top section (the white sky) to make your composition simplier

    because of the distance, we cannot see the facial expressions of the subjects
    and thus losing the emotional aspect of your image
    after all you are talking about "heart"
    and if diversity was your intent, we also cannot see it

    So I would suggest using a WA and go up close to have your subjects in the foreground with the merlion in the background
    facial expressions and diversity is key, merlion secondary and boat is optional

    i hope it helps
    ok! thanks thanks. but gotta wait till i invest in a good WA lens first -.-

    Quote Originally Posted by velasco View Post
    i actually like the feel of it.
    i love tones was it meant to be PP that way?
    haha. yeah, i purposely PPed it till this tone. thanks.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •