Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help:monitor calibration basic qns

Default Re: help:monitor calibration basic qns

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Go to ColourLab at Adelphi.. tell them no correction.
    Actually, that's the lab I ended up with too. I tried a lot of other famous labs but this Colourlab was the one with the most pleasing colors. My lcd is calibrated btw.

yr pic looks under expose to me. I never have this kind of problem even my LCD not calibrated.

I had good experiences at Grace digital lab in clementi. Simon was really nice and even printed out test pictures for free just so i can choose which color space i wanted... orginal or fuji edited...

Do a search and u should find it somewhere in here.

btw... the pic is also underexpose on my screen. Calibrated.
    P&S: Sony U20, Pana-leica FZ5, Canon S90, Pana DMC-T3
    SLR: Nikkor F60, Oly E-510, Oly E-5

Pasir Ris

Sorry for late reply.

Quote Originally Posted by foxxkat View Post
    Step 1 - move the slider for the top box as low as you can and the slider for the bottom box as high as you can before seeing a difference between the two halfs of the boxes.
    which "two halfs" is it referring to? is it the top box bottom half which changes from bright red to dark as you slide the slider to the left? vs the bottom box bottom half? - match these two halfs?
    Look carefully - there is a frame with the words "Step 1 - Min/Max" around the left 2 boxes and a frame with "Step 2 - Midranges" around the other 7 boxes. That shows the reference.
    First the two left boxes and their sliders: Adjust Mix / Max. These two boxes (the bright red one and the nearly black one) consist of two halves each. With the slider below each box you can change the brightness of both halves. Adjust up to the point when you can start differentiating the brightness of both halves.
    Hint: Push the slider to extreme right or extreme left first - this shows how the box will change and what you need to check for. Repeat the same with the darker box below.

Step 2 - move the sliders for each box until the inner box blends well with the outer test pattern. (i end up didn't adjust any of the 7 boxes bcoz all already blends well, can't differentiate inner vs outer)
    Adjust the midranges using the 7 boxes in 2nd frame. Each of these 7 boxes consist of a smaller box in the bigger one. Both have a different texture. Using the slider you increase / decrease the brightness of both boxes. Find the point where both blend well.
    Also here you can start with pushing the slider to extreme points first.
    Don't be too close to the screen - you need to judge the resulting brightness effect but not the sharpness of the texture. I know it's a bit tedious, relax your eyes in between.

Once you have finished the red portion you need to continue with blue and green in exactly the same way. Last: save your profile with a name and check the box about "Load at Windows Startup" so that the profile will be applied at each start. You will notice this when carefully watching the start: At one point when the Windows screen comes up and the icons gets displayed there is a noticeable shift in colors. That shows that the profile is applied. Since most LDC screens are too cool in standard settings the effect will be that the screen color will become warmer.

Additionally, avoid bright light in back of the screen when doing this calibration. Dim the light in the room. Hope that helps

ya bro i've tried over the week and cant get a comfy feeling i've got it right.
    ended up getting a sypder3pro and i think i've wasted my $$

after spyder3 calibration.. the screen looks yellowish. like a yellow tint over the screen. it looks worse.

wonder if any1 knows how to use spyder3. for eg, which profile to choose:

it's not explained anywhere, i'm assuming the first 2 -digits refers to monitor size? i'm using dell 2407, 24", so i calibrated using 24-5000 and 24-6500.
    am i on the right track?
    the 24-5000 looks terrible, yellowish. the 24-6500 looks like no diff, before or after calibration loooks abt the same.

any1 wants to buy my spyder3pro?
    D80 | 50 f1.4 | 85 f1.8

Somewhere North

Hi, I realised I have a printing problem and seeking ur advice.

I printed a bunch of pics and they all turn out too dark, as if 2 stops underexposed. But all these look great on monitor. After some research I realized my monitor is wacked, not calibrated, and LCD default settings are usually too bright. Further research tells me itís good to get the monitor calibrated (among other things) to ensure what you see is what you get. Ok, so Iím considering either spyder or i1 display 2 as the first step.

Some questions:

1. I read that itís advisable to re-calibrate often. Whatís not so clear is why? Especially so assuming I donít touch the monitor settings at all after calibration, why the need?
    2. Iíve compared Spyder3 Pro vs SpyderExpress and know which features are lacking in Express version. For my purposes of just achieving ďwhat I see is what I getĒ is the cheaper Express version adequate?
    3. i1 Display 2 is much more expensive. I assume itís an overkill for novice like me for the above purpose? (I donít mind investing more if needed)
    4. after calibration, what should I do to reprint those botched up pics? I presume I need to photoshop every pic +2 stops exposure to brighten them?
    5. I expect after calibration, the pics on screen will look darker bcoz the prints are dark. Is my expectation correct?
    6. going forward, do I need to set my camera to overexpose more? (since all pics printed were underexposed although look good on screen)

thanks for ur feedback.
    TS.... did you use any Adobe software to edit your photos ??

I had the same problem. My Canon printer always seems to print it alittle too dark. The photo lab warn me of the same problem if I edited my photos......

I can't be 100% sure , but I believe that Adobe save all my image under a difference 'Color System' then those from Canon own printing software.

* If I use Canon's own software for printing after editing..... it's always darker.

* But if i print from Adobe PhotoShop using my Canon printer..... the problem is less bad.

I think the shop could be using a printer & computer software that is causing a similar problem..... again, its just my own theory..... No Prove at all.....

Scuba & Father... For Life

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12