Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help: Comparism Btw 40d and d300

Default Re: Help: Comparism Btw 40d and d300

Quote Originally Posted by melvinchen View Post
    I think in very practical terms...the diff between D300 and 40D is as such:

D300's colour (not just saturation) is like 10x better than Canon (besides 1Ds Mk III).
    Its not just about more saturated, but it looks realistic and colourful, just different. I've compared this side-by-side with 5D, 450D, 30D, 40D and also seen on almost every review.
    pardon me but you sound fanboyism. i mean how could one be 10x better than the other? there will definitely be different between Nikon and Canon color output, its just the way they handle. some like Canon other prefer Nikon but 10x?

Quote Originally Posted by melvinchen
    D300 is much more solidly built, closer to a full-fledged Pro body. Every button and switch feels almost exactly like a full pro body.
    with S$1000 extra, I would demand the D300 to be built more solidly. I wont call it pro just by looking at the placement of switch and button. guess you were comparing the 40D to Nikon Pro, no? in that case, EOS-1D or any other camera in the world must have fail to qualify as Pro also?

Noise levels are lower than 40D from ISO 400 onwards. Although 40D is cleaner from ISO 100 to 400...I don't know why.

D300's sharpness after noise reduction is also better, when noise kicks in, is significantly cleaner and the noise is more monochromatic rather than Canon's colourful noise patterns.
    Nikon D300 reduce more Chroma noise, a feature 40D also offer--high ISO noise reduction. try it and compare the result again.

To be honest, this 14-bit thing is no diff...I've read so many reviews, lab tests and done my own tests...really can't tell the diff, no matter how close u look...they just look identical 12 or 14-bit....they are just brilliantly the same. haha.

I use only 12-bit mode, cause the 14-bit mode does have a slight shutter lag, which can affect whether u can capture the moment for action/sports shooting.
    you were using D300 to judge its 12bit and 14bit ADC, it only prove 14bit ADC is useless on D300 and one should always turn it off to avoid performance penalty without any gain. it may also mean Nikon is unable to produce a circuit/software powerful enough or the Sony Sensor couldn't make full use of 14bit ADC--just my wild guess.

but does it tell if 14bit ADC is also useless on other camera? i guess not, otherwise Nikon D3 wont be using 14bit ADC.

forget the D300's LCD. Though very high rest, it's saturation biased.
    it makes pics shot in NL (neutral colour) mode appear quite saturated (almost like SD mode) even though the pic on PC display is in fact quite neutral.

I wish they use the D80's LCD on the D300 instead.
    that's the only issue for me. otherwise it's a really nice tool to use (compared to all cropped cameras).

(Different matter altogether if you compare a Canon 5D. Becos of 5D's reduced price point for a fullframe body, it cannot win over any canon user)

Quote Originally Posted by melvinchen View Post
    To be honest, this 14-bit thing is no diff...I've read so many reviews, lab tests and done my own tests...really can't tell the diff, no matter how close u look...they just look identical 12 or 14-bit....they are just brilliantly the same. haha.

I use only 12-bit mode, cause the 14-bit mode does have a slight shutter lag, which can affect whether u can capture the moment for action/sports shooting.
    not really. if the 14bit is of little use, they wouldn't be implementing it on the newer cameras including the D3. furthermore, if the lower end cameras already has that feature like the canon 450D, i think it definitely serves its use.

Woa pro replies taken note it's just that the price difference is making me think again to go for the d300. I would really like the d300 because i already have a few AF-S lens and i think that i wouldn't spend too much also, but thank you guys for all the interesting things that i did not know. but what i would really like to know is why someone said that the battery grip for the 40d is a failure.

Hahaha bro... For the price of a D300, maybe you top up a little bit more, you can get yourself a 40D body with a 17-40mm F4 L lens liao lor. Right?

By the way if you are jus a hobbist then 40D is good enough liao lor. So why do you want to pay more for a D300?? is there a need at the 1st place? or you jus got some extra bucks and no where to spend? if so why not buy us dinner and we share some photography knowledge with you. Win-win situation right?

But of cos you can get the best DSLR with the latest technology now but soon newer and better models will come out, then the so called latest technology will become old technology liao lor, so are you going to change the cam again? Btw Canon do have have more lens selection than Nikon so you might want take this into consideration too.

Lastly are you buying technology or a camera which give up good quantity pic? if its the later then you should know 40D will be a good buy. But these are my personal views and of cos you should buy the cam you like more.

Quote Originally Posted by danielskl View Post
    Hahaha bro... For the price of a D300, maybe you top up a little bit more, you can get yourself a 40D body with a 17-40mm F4 L lens liao lor. Right?

By the way if you are jus a hobbist then 40D is good enough liao lor. So why do you want to pay more for a D300?? is there a need at the 1st place? or you jus got some extra bucks and no where to spend? if so why not buy us dinner and we share some photography knowledge with you. Win-win situation right?

But of cos you can get the best DSLR with the latest technology now but soon newer and better models will come out, then the so called latest technology will become old technology liao lor, so are you going to change the cam again? Btw Canon do have have more lens selection than Nikon so you might want take this into consideration too.

Lastly are you buying technology or a camera which give up good quantity pic? if its the later then you should know 40D will be a good buy. But these are my personal views and of cos you should buy the cam you like more.
    Hey bro thanks. Yea i kinda like the 40D more used to want to buy the 450D cos it's cheap and kinda good. But after looking at it pay 200-400 more might as well get the 40d but i just afraid that the model is abit old. so yep. but thanks for the guidelines la. If i got the chance sure will go out and meet you guys :P and i AM a hobbist but kinda got a few lobangs so must get a decent camera that's why i ruled out the 450D hahahahahaha... thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by labla View Post
    Hey bro thanks. Yea i kinda like the 40D more used to want to buy the 450D cos it's cheap and kinda good. But after looking at it pay 200-400 more might as well get the 40d but i just afraid that the model is abit old. so yep. but thanks for the guidelines la. If i got the chance sure will go out and meet you guys :P and i AM a hobbist but kinda got a few lobangs so must get a decent camera that's why i ruled out the 450D hahahahahaha... thanks again
    Bro the 40D is not old model lah, think came out mid or end last year only. Still pretty new and this a good time to get cos the body price now is like $1400 only (Warranty set by Canon Singapore). Its a steal if you ask me.
    Last edited by danielskl; 11th June 2008 at 03:43 PM.

Bro the 40D is not old model lah, think came out mid or end last year only. Still pretty new and this a good time to get cos the body price now is like $1400 only (Warranty set by Canon Singapore). Its a steal if you ask me.
    YEA it is :P but waiting till the end of the years after my exams to get it do you still think it will be a good time to get the 40D? hahaha.... Now need to look for a 40D to play with :P

end of the year.. hmm! maybe price will drop abit more I think. Sure by that time got newer model also. right?

end of the year.. hmm! maybe price will drop abit more I think. Sure by that time got newer model also. right?
    Not really. 1 year is a bit too quick for Canon to replace it's mid-range DSLR unless they're coming under too much competitive pressure.
    Alpha

If i got the chance sure will go out and meet you guys :P and i AM a hobbist but kinda got a few lobangs so must get a decent camera that's why i ruled out the 450D hahahahahaha... thanks again
    Unless your lobang requires you to shoot fast action sports, or events at very dark places with lots of rapid movements, which may need higher fps/faster focusing speed/higher iso, a 450d + flash + the right lens is sufficient enough for you to cover most events.

All in all, I guess the most important thing is to know what you really need, and from there buy the best that you can afford - not buy the best out there. With the money saved, you can get some other accessories to help you out

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Not really. 1 year is a bit too quick for Canon to replace it's mid-range DSLR unless they're coming under too much competitive pressure.
    Thanks Rash :P that's assurance think that 40D will be the ONE that i will getting already but i would like to ask. should i even bother about the 450D?

Thanks Rash :P that's assurance think that 40D will be the ONE that i will getting already but i would like to ask. should i even bother about the 450D?
    Nah. The 40D is much better than the 450D.
    Alpha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12