Thread: What Lens ?

Default What Lens ?

Currently just bought a D40 Kit. Will be using it for static ( Car and scenary ) and candid shots ( events like birthdays and company event ).

Using the kit lens now, so what other lens should I add to my lens selection ? I m saving up for Nikon 50mm f1.8. Besides this len any other to recommended ?

Thanks for the advise

Default Re: What Lens ?

Quote Originally Posted by backlash View Post
    Currently just bought a D40 Kit. Will be using it for static ( Car and scenary ) and candid shots ( events like birthdays and company event ).

Using the kit lens now, so what other lens should I add to my lens selection ? I m saving up for Nikon 50mm f1.8. Besides this len any other to recommended ?

Thanks for the advise
    Hi backlash

Which is your kit lens you having now ?

Ryan

A 17-55mm will fit the bill

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    Hi backlash

Which is your kit lens you having now ?

Ryan
    Currently using the D40 Kit 18-55mm lens

The kit lens (18-55mm) is pretty decent for normal use. The 50mm f1.8 would be good enough for a start.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    The kit lens (18-55mm) is pretty decent for normal use. The 50mm f1.8 would be good enough for a start.
    Ok, thanks alot . . . looks like I will save up for the 50mm f1.8 lens
    Anywhere to get it at a good price ?

Quote Originally Posted by backlash View Post
    Ok, thanks alot . . . looks like I will save up for the 50mm f1.8 lens
    Anywhere to get it at a good price ?
    There would be some available in the 'Buy & Sell' section. Do check it out.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

You might want to get a zoom telephoto lens and a fast prime. Other then that, keep taking pictures and you'll know in which area you are lacking in equipment and buy into that area.

Samuel
    f/8 and be there.

get the 50 1.8, then probably a 70-300... shud be able to cover ur learning stages...
    Pentax K100D Super

maybe 55-200 VR
    Newbie with a D80 Kit

I think your kit lens will be ok.
    Well according to your needs, you might use wide angles for events and scenary, and probably even for cars.

So you can consider the Nikkor 16-85 VR, it is meant to replace your kit lens.
    If you are fine with the zoom range your kit lens currently offers, then you may consider 'upgrade' to a Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 or Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. Both will give you better bokeh and definitely perform better than your kit lens in low light. Check them out. Plenty of discussion here on those lenses.

As for the 50mm f/1.8, it is a good investment, affordable price and get good results. Unless you are willing to pay more for the 50mm f/1.4, about 3x the price of the former for more quality and nicer bokeh. Some people here say it's worth the buck, but it's your choice.

If you need telephoto, like what others have suggested, I would recommend 70-300(anything but the G version.) I somehow feel quality of 55-200 is not as good, somewhat softer.
    The best things in life are free.

IMO, you can get the 55-200 VR and 50/1.8 and you should be fine for now. The two lenses are inexpensive, have decent to good optical quality and are compact to bring around. You will be more willing to bring them around to shoot than to leave them at home. Also, since all three lenses (including your kit lens) have a 52mm filter thread, you can save quite a bit of money on filters and CPL. The money saved can go towards a dedicated flash, should you need one.

Quote Originally Posted by Randius View Post
    IMO, you can get the 55-200 VR and 50/1.8 and you should be fine for now. The two lenses are inexpensive, have decent to good optical quality and are compact to bring around. You will be more willing to bring them around to shoot than to leave them at home. Also, since all three lenses (including your kit lens) have a 52mm filter thread, you can save quite a bit of money on filters and CPL. The money saved can go towards a dedicated flash, should you need one.

Thanks for the Advise, I m currently saving up for a 50mm f1.8 and a new camera bag. My old Lowepro Nova 1 W is a little cramp to hold my stuff.

Looking at a crumpler or bagman camera bag . . . prefer something colourful.
    Photoblog | Nikon D90 | Tamron 17-50 f2.8 | Nikon 55-200VR f4-5.6 | Nikon 50 f1.8