Thread: Can DA*stars Len be used on A k100D ???

Default Can DA*stars Len be used on A k100D ???

Can DA* Len be used on A k100D such automatic focus...though K100d has No USM???

Any side effect?

Such as 16-50 f2.87, 5-135 f2.8???

Blog Entries

Default Re: Can DA*stars Len be used on A k100D ???

SDM lenses can only be used on the K100D Super if I am not mistaken ............. not on the K100D
    Nikomi Canpen Zenten :eek:
    Not exactly 100% Natural but definitely the closest you can get to it

I think this has been asked before in some thread...
    From what I can remember, it can be used, only thing is no added benefit.
    Oh... And if you're snapping away in the rain, you will be more worried about the body than the lens.

can use but no SDM

The DA* Lens will work well with K100D like the DA lens. They have ability to use in-body screw drive. Only no SDM.

Definitely can.... I'm doing that right now

Except the new 17-70mm f4 SDM, that's the first lens to have no screw drive focusing. Oh, but that's not a DA*, so it's not directly relevant to TS's question....

BTW, heard that 17-70/4 can not be used on cameras w/o SDM.

Quote Originally Posted by macrob View Post
    BTW, heard that 17-70/4 can not be used on cameras w/o SDM.
    Can, but you'll be limited to only MF, no AF.

So the conclusion can use like other Auto lens except no USM.

..and only 1770 da cannot be used.

Quote Originally Posted by Gengh View Post
    Can, but you'll be limited to only MF, no AF.
    that's a good point.

Quote Originally Posted by P3ntx View Post
    So the conclusion can use like other Auto lens except no USM.

..and only 1770 da cannot be used.
    As said above, it still can be used, but in MF only.

All currenty DA* lenses (16-50/2.8, 50-135/2.8, 200/2.8, 300/4) have due AF system: SDM and screw-driven. They can be used on cameras w/ SDM (like K20D/K10D/K100D Super) or w/o SDM (all previous dSLR cameras) and AF work fine. Cameras w/ SDM would benefit quiet and smooth AF while cameras w/o SDM would still be able to do AF properly as w/ other DA lenes.

In the future, Pentax will make lenses either only support SDM or screw-driven AF, but not for both like current DA* lenses. The DA1770 will be the first lens w/ only SDM AF but no screw-driven AF. You still can use them on non-SDM bodies, but it won't do AF.

Here is the press report:
    http://www.pentaximaging.com/footer/...cleId=10527486

Q: Why does the DA 17-70 only include the SDM focusing system?

A: With the DA17-70, we decided to use our SDM lens-based focus drive only due to concerns over size, weight, cost and development timeframe. The advantages of the SDM focusing system, such as silent and accurate AF, make this an ideal lens to be used with our latest DSLR bodies including the K20D, K200D, K10D and K100D Super. Plus the DA 17-70 is still usable with older DSLR bodies in manual focus mode.

Q: Will PENTAX continue to develop DSLR bodies with the older body-based focusing system?

A: Yes. We will continue to develop bodies that support the body based focus system in addition to the SDM system.

Q: Will PENTAX be developing SDM-only lenses from now on?

A: No: Despite the great advantages of our SDM autofocus systems, we will continue to develop both SDM and body-based focus systems. In fact, different types of lenses have different requirements. For example, our unique Limited lenses are often so compact that there is no space for an SDM autofocus motor. Until time and technology present other options, we will continue to develop both types of autofocus systems.

Remark: Current DA* lenses (16-50mm, 50-135mm, 200mm and 300mm) contain both SDM and body-based focusing. While we will continue to develop lenses for each type of autofocus system, we will also phase out lenses that support both types of focusing simultaneously. Due to issues of cost, development timeframe and other factors, in the future, PENTAX lenses will either support SDM focusing or body-based focusing, but not both.

Q: How can I tell if a lens is SDM-only?

A: To determine if a lens is SDM focusing only, check the mount specification. If it describes the mount as “KAF3” then the lens is SDM-only.

Quote Originally Posted by fengwei View Post
    In the future, Pentax will make lenses either only support SDM or screw-driven AF, but not for both like current DA* lenses.
    Oh, I didn't read this far in the press report... That means I'll need to upgrade my body if I'm targeting the DA*60-250mm or DA*30mm. MF not my cup of tea....

and I thought I could hold out for one more generation with my K100D and wait for K30D to appear.

I ask this question because I am also thinking of K30D, I am still glad that 50-135 can be used as well as 16-50.

Oh, I didn't read this far in the press report... That means I'll need to upgrade my body if I'm targeting the DA*60-250mm or DA*30mm. MF not my cup of tea....

and I thought I could hold out for one more generation with my K100D and wait for K30D to appear.
    But you are a proud owner of a 16-50mm? You are not going for the SDM stuff right? DA* has both right?

Quote Originally Posted by hjbyeo View Post
    But you are a proud owner of a 16-50mm? You are not going for the SDM stuff right? DA* has both right?
    as stated in the report posted by fengwei, future DA* lenses might not have both SDM and body based focusing. since lenses that support both types of focusing simultaneously will be phase out, it is possible that future DA* is only SDM.

Quote Originally Posted by hjbyeo View Post
    Yah, as liveevil said, DA* lenses released from today onwards will probably be SDM only, so that means both the DA*60-250 and DA*30 will not support screw-drive autofocus. The 16-50mm is perfect, but I'm still wondering if I should complement it with a 50-135 or 60-250....

Quote Originally Posted by fengwei View Post
    All currenty DA* lenses (16-50/2.8, 50-135/2.8, 200/2.8, 300/4) have due AF system: SDM and screw-driven. They can be used on cameras w/ SDM (like K20D/K10D/K100D Super) or w/o SDM (all previous dSLR cameras) and AF work fine. Cameras w/ SDM would benefit quiet and smooth AF while cameras w/o SDM would still be able to do AF properly as w/ other DA lenes.

In the future, Pentax will make lenses either only support SDM or screw-driven AF, but not for both like current DA* lenses. The DA1770 will be the first lens w/ only SDM AF but no screw-driven AF. You still can use them on non-SDM bodies, but it won't do AF.

Here is the press report:
    http://www.pentaximaging.com/footer/...cleId=10527486
    I was screwed by N**** before (that's another story) & now the only support is high end like Dxxx & very ex

Just hope & pray that Pentax & S*** would stay on & support screw-drive (or both) for the next few generations at least (slower is better than nothing) & not resort to such tactics

Quote Originally Posted by kkleong View Post
    I was screwed by N**** before (that's another story) & now the only support is high end like Dxxx & very ex

Just hope & pray that Pentax & S*** would stay on & support screw-drive (or both) for the next few generations at least (slower is better than nothing) & not resort to such tactics
    Is the D70, D80 line not continuing? Sorry have not been keeping up with other brand's news, but I thought the next new thing after 3, 300, 60, would be a 90

Pentax will not give up the screw drive in-body AF. In the press release they have already said that the Limited lens series will be so compact they can't go the SDM route, so we're pretty much guarantied for the foresee-able future in that sense. Until technology becomes so advance we can make micro or nano-motors to drive the AF in the lens...

Is the D70, D80 line not continuing? Sorry have not been keeping up with other brand's news, but I thought the next new thing after 3, 300, 60, would be a 90

Pentax will not give up the screw drive in-body AF. In the press release they have already said that the Limited lens series will be so compact they can't go the SDM route, so we're pretty much guarantied for the foresee-able future in that sense. Until technology becomes so advance we can make micro or nano-motors to drive the AF in the lens...
    Thanks for the heads up

FYI. Dxx do support non-motor lens only - manual F-lens got no exposure/metering control at all. Dxxx support both legacy manual F-lens & non-motor lens but for the price Nice trick on their part

Come on.. even the lowly but mighty K100D is able to meter with M-mount