Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: image only turn out sharper in Av mode?

Default Re: image only turn out sharper in Av mode?

Quote Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post
    Yes i am a newbie but i certain passed my eyesight test and english. the below is a snapshot of my user manual which i delibrately downloaded from canon website. Why get annoyed? if not happy, can simply stay away from the Newbie Corner section.
    this is *if* and only *if* you use auto iso.

fact is, you can choose NOT to use auto iso, end of story. and if you choose to sink to others' levels, then you are no better than them, always remember that.

Yes i am a newbie but i certain passed my eyesight test and english. the below is a snapshot of my user manual which i delibrately downloaded from canon website. Why get annoyed? if not happy, can simply stay away from the Newbie Corner section.

This is to shut your mouth:

Not everyone uses Canon you know... And besides why the hell would the ISO be fixed @ ISO 400 when you set to auto. It's AUTO. I don't see the reasoning behind this. Strange.

I never used Auto ISO anyway..

And also, I don't get why using ISO 400 will result in a unsharp image. Will there be a large difference. PLEASE show us an image!
    Last edited by dorts; 13th June 2008 at 05:59 PM.

okie let me clarify... initially i started this thread due to i'm trying to use M mode with auto ISO to take picture, but image dun turn out sharp. then i tried Av mode with auto ISO and it turn out sharper. all these are tried in i considered low light condition which is in my room at night (Dun ask me to post images as i have already got the answer i needed).

after that i realised that if in M mode and auto iso, the iso is fixed at 400. therefore i have a feeling that it's due to camera shake. so i manually up the iso, away from AUTO and hey the image turn out to be as sharp as in Av mode(which i didn't reliase they're taken at higher ISO)

my verdict to my own question: due to in M mode, the ISO is fixed at 400, which caused camera shake at low light.

I have to admit that i too assume that in auto ISO mode, the camera should select a suitable ISO speed instead of fixing it at 400. My bad for not reading the user manual before coming here for help.

at the end of the day, who's fault? i dun deny i actually had some hard feeling when i posted my user manual to prove ppl wrong. but like one of the bro here had said, not everyone uses canon. therefore i should not blame anyone who's here to help me.

Sorry to anyone who i had offended. let's make peace...
    [Canon EOS 5D II + 40D | EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II + 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II] [Fuji X-Pro1 + XF35mm f/1.4]

Learn to accept critics without getting agitated. I know it is hard and some people have a harsh way - but it's also about YOUR perception of other people's postings. It's a bit like medicine: the sweet one is nice but mostly useless, the bitter one helps.
    This said you can relax and look at the first sentence of the page you have copied. All the settings listed there ONLY apply IF you set your cam to Auto ISO. If not then the actually set ISO value will be used - which can always be set freely in Av, Tv, M and P.
    But coming back to your initial question: As long as you don't provide any picture with intact EXIF data we still can only do guesswork about the root cause of your problem.
    One thing that crossed my mind: the settings used for Av and M are stored separately and can differ of course. So when you were using f/8 in Av and you switch to M the aperture is changed to what you have used the last time in M mode. If this is let's say f/2.8 (provided your lens supports this) you might get pictures that appear less sharp - due to very small DOF. Easy to miss the the focus here. But this is all blur guesswork without your pictures here.

my verdict to my own question: due to in M mode, the ISO is fixed at 400, which caused camera shake at low light.
    The camera shake is caused by your hand, not by any ISO mode. Easy solution: get a tripod.

I am tempted to sink to your level, and wage a war of words to bury your head in a hole. Tho this time I shall be politically correct to your inquisitive mind.

--> There is no such thing as a sharp image in AV, and a blur one when in M mode, you dont even know what settings youre shooting at. Obviously youre using AutoISO since you have no prior knowledge to the various functions, and I do not fault you for that, pleez do us a favour and RTFM.

I dont suppose you want to shut us up, since by biting the hand thats feeding you, where else would you turn to for advice in desperate times?

x
    life is short, dont turn into an ugly singaporean.

Last edited by munkey; 13th June 2008 at 09:45 PM.
    Canon 40D, 10-22, 35, 70-200
    http://theserialhobbyist.multiply.com

okie let me clarify... initially i started this thread due to i'm trying to use M mode with auto ISO to take picture, but image dun turn out sharp. then i tried Av mode with auto ISO and it turn out sharper. all these are tried in i considered low light condition which is in my room at night (Dun ask me to post images as i have already got the answer i needed).

after that i realised that if in M mode and auto iso, the iso is fixed at 400. therefore i have a feeling that it's due to camera shake. so i manually up the iso, away from AUTO and hey the image turn out to be as sharp as in Av mode(which i didn't reliase they're taken at higher ISO)

I have to admit that i too assume that in auto ISO mode, the camera should select a suitable ISO speed instead of fixing it at 400. My bad for not reading the user manual before coming here for help.

at the end of the day, who's fault? i dun deny i actually had some hard feeling when i posted my user manual to prove ppl wrong. but like one of the bro here had said, not everyone uses canon. therefore i should not blame anyone who's here to help me.

Sorry to anyone who i had offended. let's make peace...
    No prob, but i think your verdict is the wrong verdict leh. Just to check, when shooting in M, did you use the same shutter speed as the pic shot in AV mode? the blurness is not caused by iso settings.. but your shutter speed.

more or less the meaning is there la. hehe.... cos in M mode with Auto ISO, the ISO is stucked at 400 fixed hence the shutter opens longer to compensate for the low light condition which resulted in blur image as i never use a tripod. being said this, the cause is obviously hand shake. btw you're not wrong. blur image caused by shutter speed and hand shake. =)

oh yah... forgot to mention in Av mode, shutter is faster at high ISO in the same low light condition compared to M mode which i have just tried. it's logical anyway.. btw i know where the problem lies already. thanks for helping...
    Last edited by zzyzx; 14th June 2008 at 12:45 AM.
    [Canon EOS 5D II + 40D | EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II + 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II] [Fuji X-Pro1 + XF35mm f/1.4]

A reminder for all to be nice and civilised. This is the Newbie Corner, which means that we should all be EXTRA nice and patient. Remember, everyone was a newbie once.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12