Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Save Our Landmarks

Default Re: Save Our Landmarks

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    You will end up with a heritage area with heritage shell buildings with no heritage trades and no heritage feel. Chinatown feels like a giant theme park.
    Yes, but it PAY$$.

Quote Originally Posted by Ansel View Post
    Yes, but it PAY$$.
    I constantly pray that Little India won't receive the same "makeover" as Chinatown and Kampong Glam.

Chasing away everyone, mass restoring the buildings and re-leasing them to expensive restaurants, souvenir shops, etc is not a "makeover", its the destruction of intangible heritage. You can replicated, restored buildings, but once the old trades and people are gone, the 'feel' would be gone, and gone forever. Even the attempts to recreate the old feel of the area, like having outdoor dining and streetside shops are an utter failure. You cannot just replicate something which took almost 100 years to accumulate, that is, the traditional life of the area.

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    I constantly pray that Little India won't receive the same "makeover" as Chinatown and Kampong Glam.

Chasing away everyone, mass restoring the buildings and re-leasing them to expensive restaurants, souvenir shops, etc is not a "makeover", its the destruction of intangible heritage. You can replicated, restored buildings, but once the old trades and people are gone, the 'feel' would be gone, and gone forever. Even the attempts to recreate the old feel of the area, like having outdoor dining and streetside shops are an utter failure. You cannot just replicate something which took almost 100 years to accumulate, that is, the traditional life of the area.
    there may be some way to achieve the aged look of crackled paint, mossy walls, exposed brick work. but it'll take some fine craftmen to work on. even up-to-date businesses find it tough going, dun say trades of the old. can they survive today's fickle economy?

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    still very much miss the Stamford Rd library...
    i rather miss the old national library as well...studied for my n & o'levels there during 2000/2001.
    when i got my 1st digital p&s in late 03, i only managed to take just 1 patheic shot, now everytime i do my photo clearing, i dont dare to delete it...cos is the only pic that reminds me of my time over there.

Quote Originally Posted by yeobt View Post
    Are key landmarks from the early years of Singapore's nationhood fast disappearing through redevelopment?

Conservation these days no longer just involves colonial bungalows and shophouses. We examine 11 noteworthy modern buildings and structures which risk demolition if things are left to chance.

Tell us which ones you hope to see conserved by voting.

Voting closes on June 14 at 6pm.

http://www.straitstimes.com/STI/STIMEDIA/sp/landmarks/

i voted golden mile complex
    wow... yeobt, u are everywhere! sbf, taxiuncle, cs.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12