Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 polarisers.. how ?

Originally posted by NiVleK
    Nope. Using the olympus C750. No money get SLR lah :P

More importantly, I want to learn more about the techniques, skills, technical terms, etc before plunging.
    hmmm.... that will be a bit difficult to judge the desired effect. use the LCD to see lor...

OT: you don't really need to spend a lot for SLRs. I started learning with a cheap and good manual camera - the Yashica FX-3

if you really wanna read up on the turning thingy... here's the website.

http://www.cliffshade.com/dpfwiw/polarizer.htm

but the downside is
    I DON"T UNDERSTAND A SINGLE WORD IT"S SAYING COZ TOO CHEEM.. -_-

and all the angles it says
    biang i just go blur trying to turn the damn thing

Originally posted by Tweek
    oh oh...use a ND Grad Filter then. Been wanting to try using one myself.
    cheaper method..... cover the background for a calculated amount of time to compensate the exposure lor.... but the only backdraw is that you will need a slow shutter speed for this method to work....

There are some instances that you cannot achieve a blue sky no matter what and there are instances where a blue sky can be achieved even without polarizors.

Try looking at the sky on a sunny day, you will notice that certain parts of the sky are bluer than other parts. If you look carefully, you will see that the area of the sky around the sun is hardly ever blue, while the opposite side of the sky is usually much bluer.

When composing, always use a lens hood or some form of shade when possible and aim at the part of the sky away from the sun. You should be able to get bluer skys than usual.

Lastly, also be aware that not all cameras are set to the same colour saturation levels and even no 2 films are alike in colour saturation. So even if you don't touch photoshop, the playing field was never level to begin with.

Originally posted by sequitur

but the downside is

Thanks for link!!! Now now, time to absorb these chim things b4 my semester starts.

More importantly, I want to learn more about the techniques, skills, technical terms, etc before plunging.
    eh, my film SLR is cheaper than your c-750uz leh! Ok top it up with costs of film and development maybe mine will be more.

it's hard to use LCD to gauge the angle of polariser, cos it'll compensate automatically. What I do is to turn it til the exposure is the lowest. i.e., in aperture priority, I turn it til the shutter speed is the slowest. That is usually the angle that'll give me the deepest shade of blue for the sky.

Originally posted by mervlam
    hmmm.... that will be a bit difficult to judge the desired effect. use the LCD to see lor...

OT: you don't really need to spend a lot for SLRs. I started learning with a cheap and good manual camera - the Yashica FX-3
    Originally posted by Tweek eh, my film SLR is cheaper than your c-750uz leh! Ok top it up with costs of film and development maybe mine will be more.
    OT: Yeah, but shooting in film with all the developments is kinda heavy expenses for me.
    Last edited by NiVleK; 30th June 2003 at 12:47 AM.

Originally posted by sequitur

but the downside is

looks more like clear scientific language to me

what you want to know?

i didn't follow your link, so i don't know if they mentioned this, but you can try this:

Hold the polariser up to eyepoint and view the scene thru the PL. Turn the PL until you get what you want. Make a slight marking on the PL relative to the sun/scene. Attach the PL to your camera at the same angle and shoot.

Merv, thanx for tip on the best timings to use a PL. i will try them out. So far my $183 77mm PL has not done much, bcoz it doesn't seem to do much except cut out a lot light.

Originally posted by ST1100
    i didn't follow your link, so i don't know if they mentioned this, but you can try this:

Hold the polariser up to eyepoint and view the scene thru the PL. Turn the PL until you get what you want. Make a slight marking on the PL relative to the sun/scene. Attach the PL to your camera at the same angle and shoot.

Merv, thanx for tip on the best timings to use a PL. i will try them out. So far my $183 77mm PL has not done much, bcoz it doesn't seem to do much except cut out a lot light.
    actually hor, just observe the lights before you shoot. if you can see that the sky is of a nice shade of blue in a certain direction (usually around 70-110 degrees from the sun), that's the direction the most strongly polarized light (or scatter in scientific terms) comes from.

3) Do it in photoshop.

There, cheaper solutions, don't have to think so hard. [/B]
    photoshop ain't cheap

Originally posted by chaotic
    photoshop ain't cheap
    photoshop elements came free with my digicam.

right~~~~ and photoshop plus scanner don't come with my film camera

Originally posted by mervlam
    right~~~~ and photoshop plus scanner don't come with my film camera
    Film camera much easier, just use film with saturated colours. Dun need scanner as well $5 does the trick.

Default ocus lock (S1)....then adjust polariser....

Hi there...

Juz checking out...have you tried pressing the focus lock (S1=shutter button half way).....Then adjust the polariser
    ...after that Press shutter fully(S2).....

One possible mistake would be the position of the sun is not perpendicular to the direction you aiming at subject......

For the greatest PL effect....imagine pointing you finger to the subject...then your thumb (at right angle) pointing to the sun. IF the sun is not in that position..then the polarizing effect may not be at its optimum....

Regards,
    me

eh, my film SLR is cheaper than your c-750uz leh! Ok top it up with costs of film and development maybe mine will be more.

it's hard to use LCD to gauge the angle of polariser, cos it'll compensate automatically. What I do is to turn it til the exposure is the lowest. i.e., in aperture priority, I turn it til the shutter speed is the slowest. That is usually the angle that'll give me the deepest shade of blue for the sky.
    isn't this technique just called "underexposure"
    lol

hmm
    okay lots of techniques here i'll have to take time to figure

yeah what sulhan says is something like what the webby says but i don't quite get the "turning" of the polariser part

Turning the polarizer means rotating a circular polarizer which allows you to rotate thereby controlling the amount of light going to your camera.
    =)

Hope that makes sense...

If I get sulhan right, he is trying to say that by focus locking first then turning the polarizer, you are overcoming the digital camera's AI of figuring exposure. This way, the polarizer becomes effective. Without focus lock, the AI will try to compensate.

Sulhan, urmm.. if I am wrong, please correct.

Originally posted by Zplus
    Turning the polarizer means rotating a circular polarizer which allows you to rotate thereby controlling the amount of light going to your camera.
    =)
    Just in case you confuse anyone....both Linear and circular polarizors work the same way. Both have to be turned and are functionally the same, just that one won't work properly on some AF cameras.

So just say "polarizor" next time.

hmm
    no
    what i meant is
    i don't get the angles thingy

i read on the website like depending on where the sun is.. you turn your polariser's blocking axis to what angle or something

aiy

sorri , side track a ittle. how do i postpictures on this thread?

thanx!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12