Thread: Grainy developed photos upoon close inspection?

Question Grainy developed photos upoon close inspection?

After developing in one of the friendly shops recommended, i got back my first set of digital prints.

Upoon close inspection, i noticed that the dots are visible.
    Setting used were
    -1600x1066, cropped only
    -Matt finish
    -2.1 MP camera
    -4R printout.

Is this normal?

Or would i need to do some USM? And what is the setting if i needed to do USM, can't seem to find any topics on this.

Thanxs in advance

did u set it to 300dpi??

try USM at 100%, 1.0 pixel, 0 threshold.. maybe it will help...

which lab r u printing at??
    maybe u will like to try out the frontier machines at Fuji FDI shops

happy shooting...

Default Re: Grainy developed photos upoon close inspection?

Originally posted by aldeba
    After developing in one of the friendly shops recommended, i got back my first set of digital prints.

Upoon close inspection, i noticed that the dots are visible.
    Setting used were
    -1600x1066, cropped only
    -Matt finish
    -2.1 MP camera
    -4R printout.

Is this normal?

Or would i need to do some USM? And what is the setting if i needed to do USM, can't seem to find any topics on this.

Thanxs in advance
    What is USM?

Default Re: Re: Grainy developed photos upoon close inspection?

Originally posted by astroller
    What is USM?
    unsharp mask... use photoshop... Filter->Sharpen->Unsharp Mask

Using unsharp mask to sharpen the photo would only make the noise and jagged artefacts more obvious.

The resolution for Fuji Frontier machines is 300 dpi. That means for a 4R print, you need minimum 1600 x 1200 resolution. Since you are using 1600 x 1066, that means the machine has to resize the image up. This will introduce some artefacts.

The other thing is what sort of dots are you referring to? Are you talking about coloured dots as in noise or blockiness as in pixelation?

The resolution for Fuji Frontier machines is 300 dpi. That means for a 4R print, you need minimum 1600 x 1200 resolution. Since you are using 1600 x 1066, that means the machine has to resize the image up. This will introduce some artefacts.
    1600x1200, that would not give a ratio of 3:2 rite.
    The lady asked me whether it was 1800 by 1200 which is 3:2 and mine is 1600x1066 which is also 3:2.

Coloured dots, which are not very obvious if seen from 10cm away, but when seen at 1,2cm it is noticable.

Just checked that my dpi is set as 72 Hmmm, but when i set to 300dpi at PS, the size of the file does not increase. Thus i think there should not be any difference? Anyway i give it a try and give you guys my report.

Yup using Fuji Frontier, Fuji Film Supreme Archive Paper. Developing at one of the very friendly shop recommneded here

Could be due to the finishing? a glossy finish will be better looking?

Thanxs!

Could be due to the finishing? a glossy finish will be better looking?
    Yes, usually I find that for the same image (esp lower resolution), glossy finish will be better looking.

1600x1200, that would not give a ratio of 3:2 rite.
    The lady asked me whether it was 1800 by 1200 which is 3:2 and mine is 1600x1066 which is also 3:2.
    Whoops .. I meant 1800 x 1200. The fact is there will be some interpolation when they resize up from 1600 x 1066.

Coloured dots, which are not very obvious if seen from 10cm away, but when seen at 1,2cm it is noticable.
    Sounds like CCD noise. They should be more obvious in the shadows. The only way to reduce this is to use the lowest possible ISO setting or more megapixels.

Just checked that my dpi is set as 72 Hmmm, but when i set to 300dpi at PS, the size of the file does not increase. Thus i think there should not be any difference?
    The dpi does not matter. It is the actual pixel dimension that matters.

i had this prob too when i developed my photos. reason may be becos some of the photos were taken underexposed (/w light at background), then the developers tried to lighten the picture then the photos appear grainy. check ur original copy whether the grain are obvious.