Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Anyone use Portable Aircon? Need advices!

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,884

    Default Anyone use Portable Aircon? Need advices!

    Thinking of getting a portable aircon unit, for my little room, since having 2 fans with window wide open still doesn't help cool me down

    So hoping to get some reviews and advices on portable aircons from those who had or have one before. Is it good enough, cool enough and maintenance problems etc?

    Any advice welcome!

    Thanks!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Anyone use Portable Aircon? Need advices!

    They're OK for small spaces, but if you have a room, a window-mounted frame unit (sorry, forgot the actual name) might be cheaper and more efficient ... unless you need to move the unit around.

    IIRC from units of days gone by, Maintenance, since they're self-contained units, you always have to empty out the water manually. Also factor in that you need some sort of exhaust for the hot air, so if your room does not face the home's exterior, or another unused room, you might have problems.

    Hope this helps.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,884

    Default Re: Anyone use Portable Aircon? Need advices!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    They're OK for small spaces, but if you have a room, a window-mounted frame unit (sorry, forgot the actual name) might be cheaper and more efficient ... unless you need to move the unit around.

    IIRC from units of days gone by, Maintenance, since they're self-contained units, you always have to empty out the water manually. Also factor in that you need some sort of exhaust for the hot air, so if your room does not face the home's exterior, or another unused room, you might have problems.

    Hope this helps.
    Thanks DM! Worth considering...since my "room" is small spaces...ha ha.

    Another question, how many BTU kind of air con should I look for, for a small space of about 2.3m X 2.3m X 2.3m?

  4. #4
    Member armadillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pinnacle@Duxton
    Posts
    1,381

    Default Re: Anyone use Portable Aircon? Need advices!

    I use portable aircond once in year 1998, end-up regret, bcos feel like doesn't really works, that time the price was S$1750. Luckily best denki allow me to exchange with other thing. 9000 BTU shd be good enough for small room.
    Just my 2 cents

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,884

    Default Re: Anyone use Portable Aircon? Need advices!

    Quote Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
    I use portable aircond once in year 1998, end-up regret, bcos feel like doesn't really works, that time the price was S$1750. Luckily best denki allow me to exchange with other thing. 9000 BTU shd be good enough for small room.
    Just my 2 cents
    serious ah!...maybe have to reconsider... but I remember my ex ex ex office which is a small office of 5 people, uses one also, but was ok. Cool enough but its big, bulky and noisy and have to pour water everytime.

    Nowadays, its smaller liao.
    Last edited by TrailsofLife; 8th June 2008 at 01:05 PM.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    In the void.
    Posts
    1,322

    Default Re: Anyone use Portable Aircon? Need advices!

    I have a neighbour who rented out his apartment. One of his tenants installed one of those window mounted air-con, the exhaust is always blowing into the common corridor outside the room. It's quite unpleasant having to walk through it everytime on the way home.

  7. #7
    Member armadillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pinnacle@Duxton
    Posts
    1,381

    Default Re: Anyone use Portable Aircon? Need advices!

    You're right max, that is 10 years ago (if not wrong the brand that I bought delonghi), maybe the lastest model shd be better & smaller.

    My suggestion, unless no other option, then u get the portable one

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,884

    Default Re: Anyone use Portable Aircon? Need advices!

    Quote Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
    You're right max, that is 10 years ago (if not wrong the brand that I bought delonghi), maybe the lastest model shd be better & smaller.

    My suggestion, unless no other option, then u get the portable one
    Yah, I think so, now researching into casement aircon a.k.a window mounted aircon... Thanks alot for the advice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic View Post
    I have a neighbour who rented out his apartment. One of his tenants installed one of those window mounted air-con, the exhaust is always blowing into the common corridor outside the room. It's quite unpleasant having to walk through it everytime on the way home.
    I asked HDB, actually, not allow to install casement aircon on window facing corridor.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,884

    Default Re: Anyone use Portable Aircon? Need advices!

    New questions!

    Been to careffour, harvey norman etc, to ask prices and research on casement aircon. Realised most sales person don't know much about the specs and info. Does anyone know of any shops or company that can give good advice?

  10. #10

    Default Re: Anyone use Portable Aircon? Need advices!

    There is a specialist shop in IMM(lvl2) that sells only portable aircon with multiple models.
    Think thats your best bet.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Anyone use Portable Aircon? Need advices!

    i m using sharp portable aircon.
    7000 btu.
    was recommended this model bcos its quiet and smaller size.
    i just stick the hose out of the window.
    no need to drain water too frequently (2 liter capacity)
    there is a super cool mode, which i use most of the time.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,884

    Default Re: Anyone use Portable Aircon? Need advices!

    Quote Originally Posted by firestone View Post
    There is a specialist shop in IMM(lvl2) that sells only portable aircon with multiple models.
    Think thats your best bet.
    Looking for casement aircon now leh. Not portable already, but have to sacrifice a window.

    Quote Originally Posted by casey4355 View Post
    i m using sharp portable aircon.
    7000 btu.
    was recommended this model bcos its quiet and smaller size.
    i just stick the hose out of the window.
    no need to drain water too frequently (2 liter capacity)
    there is a super cool mode, which i use most of the time.
    Which model?

  13. #13
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Anyone use Portable Aircon? Need advices!

    Max 2.8, don't use portable air cons, they are quite useless from my experiences. They are not able to cool a whole room sufficiently if you use them in a indirect manner (ie cooling room without pointing the blast directly at you). It only works sufficiently if you point the blast directly at you.

    For casement aircons, I've not tried before, but I understand that they are better than portable aircons, but worse than those which you stick into the hole in the wall type aircons. If you're using it for a HDB flat however, that may be your last option if you already have an existing aircon. legally, HDB flats can only accomodate one aircon 15 amp plug (I donno abt new developmetns though, this is the old flat rules).

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,884

    Default Re: Anyone use Portable Aircon? Need advices!

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Max 2.8, don't use portable air cons, they are quite useless from my experiences. They are not able to cool a whole room sufficiently if you use them in a indirect manner (ie cooling room without pointing the blast directly at you). It only works sufficiently if you point the blast directly at you.

    For casement aircons, I've not tried before, but I understand that they are better than portable aircons, but worse than those which you stick into the hole in the wall type aircons. If you're using it for a HDB flat however, that may be your last option if you already have an existing aircon. legally, HDB flats can only accomodate one aircon 15 amp plug (I donno abt new developmetns though, this is the old flat rules).
    Thanks for the advice, don't think I'm getting a portable one.

    Went asking around again today, window units need 15amp plug, salesperson say will need to charge for installing socket, so it adds up to about the same as casement type. But the window unit I found is only 7000 btu, plus it sticks out of the window quite abit. Scary, there's a risk of it falling off.

    With about the same price, most casement units are 8500 to 9000btu, should be more powerful and doesn't stick out the window, less risk.

    So now looking for a reliable brand, slimmest model. There's just too few reviews in the net.
    Last edited by TrailsofLife; 15th June 2008 at 11:57 PM.

  15. #15
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Anyone use Portable Aircon? Need advices!

    If it uses a 15amp plug then you may have an issue if your other 15amp plug is already used. I recall somewhere saying that HDB only allows one 15amp aircon plug per house.

    I think its quite hard for it to fall out of the house though heh. Even the traditional horizontal rectangular unit seldom fell out until many years later when the brackets rusted.

    Quote Originally Posted by Max 2.8 View Post
    Thanks for the advice, don't think I'm getting a portable one.

    Went asking around again today, window units need 15amp plug, salesperson say will need to charge for installing socket, so it adds up to about the same as casement type. But the window unit I found is only 7000 btu, plus it sticks out of the window quite abit. Scary, there's a risk of it falling off.

    With about the same price, most casement units are 8500 to 9000btu, should be more powerful and doesn't stick out the window, less risk.

    So now looking for a reliable brand, slimmest model. There's just too few reviews in the net.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Anyone use Portable Aircon? Need advices!

    Get those with drainless feature..

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,884

    Default Re: Anyone use Portable Aircon? Need advices!

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    If it uses a 15amp plug then you may have an issue if your other 15amp plug is already used. I recall somewhere saying that HDB only allows one 15amp aircon plug per house.

    I think its quite hard for it to fall out of the house though heh. Even the traditional horizontal rectangular unit seldom fell out until many years later when the brackets rusted.
    I think its used for the split unit in my other rooms. Yah, I know lah, just being paranoid


    Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    Get those with drainless feature..
    Yep, agree. will look for a drainless one. any recommendations?

  18. #18
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Anyone use Portable Aircon? Need advices!

    Oh if already used for split unit, then better check to see if you can add another one - I recall the rules say cannot although I don't know if that's changed, or if it applies to new developments.

    Reason for the old rules is because old flats were built underspeced, and too many aircons will cause the whole block to overload.

    Quote Originally Posted by Max 2.8 View Post
    I think its used for the split unit in my other rooms. Yah, I know lah, just being paranoid

    Yep, agree. will look for a drainless one. any recommendations?

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,884

    Default Re: Anyone use Portable Aircon? Need advices!

    I think cannot add another 15amp socket. Thats why window aircon is out of the option. Casement aircon uses 13amp socket, so ok.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •