Thread: First Attempt on Night photography.

Default First Attempt on Night photography.

Hi I am new here as well as new to night photography, I am pretty happy with the result since this is my first attempt but still hope to improve so, Constructive comments pls. Hehe.

Photo Detail:
    Shutter Speed: 1/2 sec
    Aperture: F4.0
    ISO: 200
    Camera: Sony Alpha 200
    Lens: Kit Lens (18mm - 70mm)
    Last edited by gohdes8; 6th June 2008 at 01:49 PM.

Default Re: First Attempt on Night photography.

Since you mentioned night photography, i presume, you are seeking technical comments.

you probably could have bump your f-number to about f9 and drag your shutter a little longer, say 20 secs.

Thx for yr comments. Will take note

the lights on the right are way too distracting. and yeah, trying stopping down the aperture to f/8 or f/11. if the lights weren't there, i believe the outcome would have been much better. have you tried taking from other angles?

If you are on tripod, you don't really need the higher ISO for handholding speed, so you can safely lower your ISO to 100 (or whichever is the minimum on you camera).

Really? Ok thx for the tips. Thx a lot. Learn something today. Haha

The big globe lights at the right are distracting. Kind of hard to judge with such a small image, but the colors look good. A little busy - too many competing elements in the photo.

How sharp is it at a decent size?

Anyway, long or short shutter speed depends on the kind of reflection you're after.

Are you using a tripod in this photo?
    Last edited by lennyl; 6th June 2008 at 02:33 PM.

Ya i am on.

The lights on the right lead me to the path. Maybe you could try shooting at different angles?

the shot might turn out better if you had left the railings and lamp post out. because as a viewer when i first see the picture the lamp post attracts me first which shouldn't be the case.
    "We will see Him, coming down the clouds from heaven... In Majesty"

Dun shoot directly on a bright light source... Basic tips...

Ok thx. Learn something again. Thx a lot

so what is your subject? the skyline, light globes or the railings? the photo lacks focus on a subject.

Actually focus is on the lamppost and walkway, using the night and skyscraper as background. I want create some sort of romantic feeling to this pic. "Romance in SG" But somehow i fail. SAD. But nvm i will keep on trying. First time ma. Haha. Will keep improving de.
    Last edited by gohdes8; 7th June 2008 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gohdes8 View Post
    Actually focus is on the lamppost and walkway, using the night and skyscraper as background. I want create some sort of romantic feeling to this pic. "Romance in SG" But somehow i fail. SAD. But nvm i will keep on trying. First time ma. Haha. Will keep improving de.
    Then you'll need more emphasis on the people (basically, they need to be larger and probably be in one of the lower power points). The bright lights will still be a distraction though, but sometimes that cannot be helped. Physically disabling the lights will probably be frowned on by the police

1) but what sort of romance without people?

2) lamppost is so far deep into the right, even if go people also cant see.

3) without u mentioning (although u didnt capture what u hope to show), i dont know if this is a night landscape or people photograph.

4) i see the front portion of the railing lited up by flood light, but no subject. it is like the flood light shining onto an empty stage. what do you want to show us.

5) like others had mentioned, the lited balloon takes all the viewer's attention.

6) the strong lead lines by the railing and the esplanade bridge would have direct viewer's attention into nothingness on the right, even if the balloon are not there.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Wah ok. Althought i dun really get wat u talking. But it seems to me that this photo to u is not even worth one cent. Haiz demoralizing sia. But nvm i will keep on improving.

Wah ok. Althought i dun really get wat u talking. But it seems to me that this photo to u is not even worth one cent. Haiz demoralizing sia. But nvm i will keep on improving.
    Keep trying, remember must not have any distration which draw attention away.
    Last edited by dOlBy; 7th June 2008 at 07:02 PM.

For urbanscapes, sometimes there isn't a need for a single focal point or the entire photo can be a focal. You do have to prioritise the elements in the composition so that they "make sense".

OK guys. Learn a lot. Hope to improve in my next outing. Thx a million guys. Will take note of all pointers given by u guys. HeHe