Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Save the Earth thread

Default Re: Save the Earth thread

I have recieved an email which goes like these:

Believe it or not... we shall know in July 2008.

This is scary....

Prediction of the coming Disaster
    Mr. Juseleeno, born in 1960(reportedly still alive in 2008), is a Brazilian who has made many predictions, and MOST have come to pass, including Princess Diana's death by car accident (which is instigated by someone near her and will probably unfortunately be written off as a car accident), 911 and the 2004 Indonesian tsunami. He sees the future in his dreams, and has an average of 3 to 9 such predictions per day. When he wakes up, he will write them down, and send warnings to those concerned.
    If it concerns only a normal individual, he will write a letter to warn him/her.
    If it is a famous person(celebrity, politician etc.), or matters concerning the public, he will not only send it to the individual himself/herself, but also related agencies, government, and media. He urged the media to publicise these predictions, but the reply always went along the lines of rejection for fear of arousing public panic.
    Future predictions:
    2008, July: There will be an earthquake in Japan, which will cause a tsunami of 30 plus metres high to occur as well.
    2008, 18th September: An earthquake with magnitude of approximately 9.1 will rock China , simultaneously causing a tsunami of more than 30 metres to occur, resulting in the deaths of more than 1 million people.
    Although this huge earthquake will happen after the Olympics have ended, there will be a series of relatively smaller earthquakes occurring in China before the huge earthquake. The China government, which is more concerned with the success of the Olympics, will most likely neglect to employ appropriate cautionary measures, thus the high casualty rate. If the China government does not publicise the occurrence of these minor earthquakes and evacuate people, the number of deaths will be as predicted.
    2008, 17th December: terrorist attack in America
    2010: The temperatures in some countries of Africa could be as high as 58 degrees Celsius, and there will be a serious shortage of water.
    2010, 15th June: The New York Stock Exchange market will fail, causing an international financial crisis.
    2011: The research on the treatment of some cancers will be completed, but a new life-threatening virus will appear. People who are infected will die after only approx. 4 hours of coming into contact with the virus.
    2013, 1st - 25th November: Research on treatment of cancers, except for brain tumors, will be completed. An earthquake, caused by volcanic eruptions, will happen on Bahama Island of the Canary Islands. A gigantic tsunami of roughly 150 metres will result. America mainlands, Brazil etc.
    will be affected, with the tsunami pushing into the land as far as 15 to 20 kilometres. Before the occurrence of this gigantic tsunami, the sea/ocean water levels will sink by about 6 metres, and large flocks of birds will start to migrate.
    2014: A small planet that has been gradually closing in on Earth might eventually collide with Earth, and this collision, if come to pass, will affect the survival of humans as a whole.
    2015: By the mid of November, the average temperature of Earth could be as high as 59 degrees Celsius. Many people will die from the overheat, and international confusion and terror ensues.
    2016, April: A huge typhoon will invade China, causing massive damage. The 43rd USA president, George Walker Bush, will enter the hospital, and faces a life or death situation.
    2026, July: A super earthquake will occur in Sans Francisco, and it will be named "The Big One". Huge damage to surrounding areas. Many volcanoes will re-activate, and the height of resulting tsunami will be more than 150 metres.
    Mr. Juseleeno made known his predictions in hopes that people will take heed of his warnings, so that these disasters may be avoided. He hopes there will be a major change in the thinking of people's mindsets in the time period 2007 - 2008. One factor will be the environmental issue of global warming, which is more serious than what some meteorologists assume.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparta View Post
    How Melting Glaciers Trigger Earthquakes, Tsunamis ..........

http://environment.about.com/od/glob...arthquakes.htm
    Wow great stuff. Thanks man. Didn't know sichuan was under a glacier, and removing the glacier was the cause of so many deaths. A really terrible incident.

What is the Greenhouse Effect?

What Causes the Greenhouse Effect?
    Life on earth depends on energy from the sun. About 30 percent of the sunlight that beams toward Earth is deflected by the outer atmosphere and scattered back into space. The rest reaches the planet’s surface and is reflected upward again as a type of slow-moving energy called infrared radiation.

As infrared radiation is carried aloft by air currents, it is absorbed by “greenhouse gases” such as water vapor, carbon dioxide, ozone and methane, which slows its escape from the atmosphere.

Although greenhouse gases make up only about 1 percent of the Earth’s atmosphere, they regulate our climate by trapping heat and holding it in a kind of warm-air blanket that surrounds the planet.

This phenomenon is what scientists call the "greenhouse effect." Without it, scientists estimate that the average temperature on Earth would be colder by approximately 30 degrees Celsius (54 degrees Fahrenheit), far too cold to sustain our current ecosystem.
    Dude, so a little green house gas is good, right? So why should we get rid of co2? People always say we must reduce carbon emissions, but what will reduced co2 lead to?

Damn ridiculous.....those developed countries have chopped and sold all their trees....with the money they invested in manufacturing and heavy industries...they drill the most fossil oils....they burned the most coals and they are enjoying their fruits while the rest of the whole have to suffer together.....and then now they came out these crap propagandas to curb the under develop to bear the same cost.....another form of slavery?

Why did Hurricane Narnis happened? [Global warming produce more storms & more volatile ones]

Why is there earthquake in China? [Ice cap is melting fast, gfalciers are melting fast and causing earthquakes]
    Dudes, i think we are being lied to. Sichuan was never under heavy ice during the last ice age 10k years ago. See this map: http://www.scotese.com/lastice.htm

Sigh....the extent wannabe environmentalist will spread disinformation to further their cause.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchRival View Post
    Dude, so a little green house gas is good, right? So why should we get rid of co2? People always say we must reduce carbon emissions, but what will reduced co2 lead to?
    Dube you DO know that plant life NEEDS Carbon Dioxide to live and grow too right? (and give out oxygen in the process ) If you start to take out more CO2 then is needed what damage would you think that will do to plant growth through out the globe? And you can't like control where there is more CO2 and other place with less short of building greenhouse or some bubble around the entire Amazon forest for example.

Like some of the smarter cookies here....be really careful what you read. Not all so call enviromentalist are really telling you everything truthful or misleading you toward some hidden agenda with commercial interest.

Why did Hurricane Narnis happened? [Global warming produce more storms & more volatile ones]

Why is there earthquake in China? [Ice cap is melting fast, gfalciers are melting fast and causing earthquakes]

These are consequences of man's activities on earth for the past 200,000 years. Global warming has accelerated due to CO2 release by man's acitivities. National Geography (NG)estimates that man will contribute the same CO2 to the environment in the next 50 years as compared to the total contributed in the past 200,000 years. NG estimates that the earth's temperature will be warmer by 6 degrees in 2100. That means if Singapore's highest temperature in June was previously 36 degrees, it could well reach 42 degree in 2100. NG's main worry is food; how do we produce more food to feed 9b people if temperture is so hot; corals reefs will wilt, forrests shrink, drought, floods, ice cap melts & sea levels rise.

HOW CAN WE HELP THE EARTH & SAVE IT FOR OUR FUTURE GENERATIONS?

By contributing less CO2 of course. One-third of CO2 released is from USA, One-third of CO2 released is from transportation, One-third of CO2 released is from rest of world. The following things we (as individuals) do will have the most impact in contributing less CO2 :

1. Switch to CNG cars, hybrids.

2. Use fuel efficient cars (cannot understand why people drive big vehicles in urban city at 60km/h)

3. Take MRT, not taxi

help the earth???
    i believe its help ourselves more likely.

earth is a dynamic body,
    it has gone thru rounds of hot-cold cycles n it will survive the current changes.
    we can't.
    but thats only logical that in time we will be wiped out,
    replaced by another form thats more suited to that environment.
    with or without men's work,
    its just a matter of time.

These are consequences of man's activities on earth for the past 200,000 years. Global warming has accelerated due to CO2 release by man's acitivities. National Geography (NG)estimates that man will contribute the same CO2 to the environment in the next 50 years as compared to the total contributed in the past 200,000 years. NG estimates that the earth's temperature will be warmer by 6 degrees in 2100. That means if Singapore's highest temperature in June was previously 36 degrees, it could well reach 42 degree in 2100. NG's main worry is food; how do we produce more food to feed 9b people if temperture is so hot; corals reefs will wilt, forrests shrink, drought, floods, ice cap melts & sea levels rise.

HOW CAN WE HELP THE EARTH & SAVE IT FOR OUR FUTURE GENERATIONS?

By contributing less CO2 of course. One-third of CO2 released is from USA, One-third of CO2 released is from transportation, One-third of CO2 released is from rest of world. The following things we (as individuals) do will have the most impact in contributing less CO2 :

1. Switch to CNG cars, hybrids.

2. Use fuel efficient cars (cannot understand why people drive big vehicles in urban city at 60km/h)

3. Take MRT, not taxi
    Yeah, CO2 is only a small part of the atmosphere.

In fact, what are the reasons we should reduce CO2? What should be the end result?
    Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion View Post
    Whatever you do dont switch to hybrid cars, its just a marketing gimmick! 1/3rds may be released by the USA, but from total CO2 release animals contribute more than 70% of total emissions!
    You got good point here regarding buildings; why do we build, then tear down, then build again (eg. en-bloc). Better to conserve the buildings.

Actually, whether we use more lighting or less will have little impact on CO2 release here in Singapore. So no need to worry too much about watching too much TV. All these power comes from the power plants, which in Singapore's case run on 'clean' natural gas vs the 'dirty' coal-fired plants in the US & China.

As individuals, our biggest contribution to CO2 release comes from our cars.
    Doesn't Sparta actually answer your question already? There are so many sceptics that say "Aiya, I one small person cannot make a difference, cannot do much difference also wad." That is why the whole world is becoming like that. Everyone is self centered, blame is always pushed to the big corporations. But again if there is no demand for it do you think that the these big corporations would survive? It all boils down to us individuals, like, in primary school you learn "one chopstick easy to break 10 very hard" the damage by 10 people compared to 1 is also magnified as well as strength. So quit your AIYA animals produce 70% of the CO2 wad.... hybrid cars also dun make a difference. IF EVERYONE FREAKING CUT DOWN POLLUTION BY THAT ABIT, "a few 1c become one big million dollar already wad!" you think if the whole of China uses hybrid cars, the world will become cleaner? the smog in China will become better? OF COURSE! So animals produce 70%, "we kill all the animals la. Liddat no pollution also NO FOOD." There are things that can be done without say a freaking big car that blows big holes in your wallet and also a small car that can save the earth and let you buy more camera and lenses. So, it's up to yoU :P

oh ya and C02 traps heat that's the reason why Singapore's temperature is rising and it will not go down till you stop polluting the environment. It's not "just a cycle lah"

P.S sorry for the aggressiveness. Everytime these topics come out I love to argue If i aggravate any CSers please pm me to tell me off. Thank you
    Last edited by labla; 22nd June 2008 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by labla View Post
    Doesn't Sparta actually answer your question already? There are so many sceptics that say "Aiya, I one small person cannot make a difference, cannot do much difference also wad." That is why the whole world is becoming like that. Everyone is self centered, blame is always pushed to the big corporations. But again if there is no demand for it do you think that the these big corporations would survive? It all boils down to us individuals, like, in primary school you learn "one chopstick easy to break 10 very hard" the damage by 10 people compared to 1 is also magnified as well as strength. So quit your AIYA animals produce 70% of the CO2 wad.... hybrid cars also dun make a difference. IF EVERYONE FREAKING CUT DOWN POLLUTION BY THAT ABIT, "a few 1c become one big million dollar already wad!" you think if the whole of China uses hybrid cars, the world will become cleaner? the smog in China will become better? OF COURSE! So animals produce 70%, "we kill all the animals la. Liddat no pollution also NO FOOD." There are things that can be done without say a freaking big car that blows big holes in your wallet and also a small car that can save the earth and let you buy more camera and lenses. So, it's up to yoU :P

oh ya and C02 traps heat that's the reason why Singapore's temperature is rising and it will not go down till you stop polluting the environment. It's not "just a cycle lah"

P.S sorry for the aggressiveness. Everytime these topics come out I love to argue If i aggravate any CSers please pm me to tell me off. Thank you
    i personally think ur tone is aggressive at all lah, just frank.

i'll like to add that in modern times, moving goods produced far-far away also add alot of pollution & waste. by that measure, a global economy dependant on moving large numbers of people around the world adds to the problem.

the resources spent on moving goods & people round the world to save $$ is such a waste. not too long ago people thought the vast seas were filled with infinite supply of marine life, the same thinking applies to those who thought that of oil & countless other natural resources...

Really feels like some Greenpeace advocate here...

And I dun buy any of those theories even though I believe that we should be doing something to save the earth.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by labla View Post

Dude, check this out.

My question: Yeah, CO2 is only a small part of the atmosphere. In fact, what are the reasons we should reduce CO2? What should be the end result?

Sparta's ans: total cut and paste from this link: http://environment.about.com/od/glob...greenhouse.htm

Summary of Sparta's typed ans in context: The reasons we should reduce CO2 is because greenhouse gases regulate our climate and makes it possible to sustain our ecosystem.

Don't know man, but Sparta's ans seem a little off wack.

Wait there's more.

My qn: Dude, so a little green house gas is good, right? So why should we get rid of co2? People always say we must reduce carbon emissions, but what will reduced co2 lead to?

Crux of your ans in context: We should get rid of co2 because we should band together like chopsticks to cut down pollution by that one bit.

Not answering the qn, dude.

Aiyah... don't need to bother what the media says too seriously. There's really too many conflicting viewpoints and I think most of them have their own agenda for reporting as such...

Just do what you can within your means... like recycling, taking public transport if possible, save electricity, eat less meat, use 1 piece toilet paper (or maybe can wash it after also), flip your underwear inside out front back so can wear 4x longer etc.
    Olympus EM-1, 7-14/2.8, 12-40/2.8, 40-150/2.8, 17/1.8, 25/1.2, 60/2.8

this should have been a CO2 bad for earth thread instead?

although all life is intricately linked, CO2 emissions is just a part of the whole picture. life goes on, so wad does saving earth really mean to the common folks in us? who actually took a bold step to change livestyle? change too much & maybe people around you think you're nutz.

S'pore har, go against the grain stick out like sORe-tHUmb arh. dun care earth lar, i dun 1 2 be the butt of office talk...

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    this should have been a CO2 bad for earth thread instead?

Dude, this thread is really funny. After all the replies nobody can state simply why we should reduce CO2. In fact there's even a good scientific reason to target CO2 instead of other greenhouse gases.

Yu want to know what this thread really is about? It's about spreading disinformation in return for a small ego boost. Some guy comes in here, makes 2 statements:

which are completely false and misleading. Then while people panic about the terrors of global warming (and the terrible loss of life ) the guy congratulates himself and pats himself for starting such an impactful, politically correct thread.

Nevermind the sheep who got conned.

Dude, this thread is really funny. After all the replies nobody can state simply why we should reduce CO2. In fact there's even a good scientific reason to target CO2 instead of other greenhouse gases.

Yu want to know what this thread really is about? It's about spreading disinformation in return for a small ego boost. Some guy comes in here, makes 2 statements:

which are completely false and misleading. Then while people panic about the terrors of global warming (and the terrible loss of life ) the guy congratulates himself and pats himself for starting such an impactful, politically correct thread.

Nevermind the sheep who got conned.

not going against the (rice) grain, but i want to save the earth to save my wallet from tsunamis (endless waves of price increases), earthquake (retail therapy) & globalwarming (constant upgrading of my current gadgets)!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12