Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are my photos or lens sharp?

Default Re: Are my photos or lens sharp?

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    It is for sure, not a maybe.
    Oh yes i know about the one shot function... you mean that is the focus lock function?

Quote Originally Posted by viewwing View Post
    A few things for u to check...

1. Make sure your Auto Focus is set to SINGLE and not Continous focus.
    2. Your aperture for your first picture is F2. Which means your DOF is VERY THIN. If you're looking for a shot thats overall sharp... try going F5.6 up to F11. You should have some good shots.
    3. Shutter Speed. at 1/80 you should not have camera shake problem. But try the shot on a brighter day. Also some of the setting of the camera might make the picture look smudgy due to the camera post process. I'm not a C user, so u might want to check with fellow CSer on their camera setting for the 400D.

When all else fail bring the lens and see whether it can be calibrated... for all u know it really could be faulty.

Good luck!
    Thank you for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by pigletnpiggy View Post
    Great! At least i know i got the method correct

Hmmm.. so that means that my subject was probably not as sharp cos of other factors like the fact that i was using the aperture wide open?
    When you focus and recompose, if your DOF is very shallow, even on One-Shot (that means once your AF is locked and you do not repress your shutter button) AF mode, you may accidentally shift a slight bit, so your DOF may also have shifted, rendering your subject out of focus.

Quote Originally Posted by pigletnpiggy View Post
    Oh yes i know about the one shot function... you mean that is the focus lock function?
    One Shot means that the focus remains in that setting once it has recognized the object and has focused on it. It will remain in that setting as long as you keep the shutter half-pressed.
    The other options are AI Focus and AI Servo - options you would select for moving objects. In AI Servo the focus will constantly measure and re-focus if necessary, AI Focus will do the same but only if the focus notices a moving object, otherwise it will work in the same way as One Shot.
    In addition, I suggest using a single focus point instead of letting the camera select one. Using one of the points left of the centre helps you to lock the focus on your kid's eyes without much recomposing after focusing.

If you are really suspecting that the lens is not 100% accurate you can test it with a lens test chart (as mentioned earlier by others). Just download and print the chart and follow the instructions given here. (It really doesn't matter that is it a Nikon test chart, your lens won't get spoiled )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12