Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Graduates pay

Default Re: Graduates pay

Quote Originally Posted by JillValentine View Post
    If they are not highly paid, 30-50% jump is normal right?
    I can tell you from management point of view, you can WAIT!
    Only if you are headhunted, you might be getting such offers.

Under normal circumference, you can forget about 30 to 50 % jump, it will never happen.

On a brighter note, my friend just got headhunted recently and his pay jump was a whopping 150%! And his pay wasn't that low to begin with...
    If you understand my works, it's photography. If you don't, it's art.
    SplutterPhotography|flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Goi View Post
    Sure or not ... I know for a fact that those mid-career ones who switched to teaching are very likely to get pay review, meaning they won't start @ entry level ...
    Very sure! Someone switching from banking to education( eg.student affairs) are only offered $2,000. That is for the lucky ones. There are other stingy institutions paying $1,900 only.
    Last edited by dancemania; 7th June 2008 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Splutter View Post
    On a brighter note, my friend just got headhunted recently and his pay jump was a whopping 150%! And his pay wasn't that low to begin with...
    Sure or not. Is it for private bankers?

Front office jobs (sales & trading, investment banking) for the larger foreign investment banks pay in excess of $7,000+ for starting with variable bonus all the way from 6 month - 18 month for fresh graduates, depending on market conditions and performance. Don't know about private banking.

The exact same position in a smaller foreign banks, local bank or big four corporate finance will pay significantly less because of the nature of the clients/deals and fees.

The qualifications of the graduates are more or less similar, spanning from local universities to Ivy league, usually the top graduates in the case of local universities.

But in all cases, your job security sucks, stress level through the roof and you work like a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by scanner View Post

Under normal circumference, you can forget about 30 to 50 % jump, it will never happen.
    I heard of poly graduates who gotton degree while working but their companies didn't raise their pay after they got the degree. So they quitted and apply other companies using their newly gotton degree and got from 1800 pay to 2.7K.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Goi View Post
    Sure or not ... I know for a fact that those mid-career ones who switched to teaching are very likely to get pay review, meaning they won't start @ entry level ...
    i attended a Teach seminar not too long ago. they got a mid-career teacher to speak who was an engineer before making the switch. he said got pay cut upon joining, a few hundred bucks, but then he only out in the workforce for about 2-3 years...in my opinion, hardly mid-career.

if say an engineer who worked for say 10 to 15 years, and want to do teaching, imagine the kind of pay cut he will suffer, and likely is that he cannot accept it due to higher financial commitments.

When i started out as an engineer in 1992, local company starting pay was about 1.9-2.2k, and MNC paid 2.1-2.5k.

Anyway, graduate or not, if it is money that you want, join the industry that is as close to money as possible, eg, banking, investment, etc. If in retail or industrial, do sales.

Quote Originally Posted by dancemania View Post
    Very sure! Someone switching from banking to education( eg.student affairs) are only offered $2,000. That is for the lucky ones. There are other stingy institutions paying $1,900 only.
    adam has been in the education line for a very long time if you didn't know
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by scanner View Post

any self respecting company will pay what a person is worth. I wasn't headhunted and I got that. I actually stated a lower pay hoping to secure the job, but instead, I was offered something higher and got the job.

I heard of poly graduates who gotton degree while working but their companies didn't raise their pay after they got the degree. So they quitted and apply other companies using their newly gotton degree and got from 1800 pay to 2.7K.
    This is quite common, because as poly grads, they were probably hired for a position for that qualification, after they read their degree, there's no opening in the higher position so they are stuck at their current level, this is especially true for SME where their expansion capability is not as good compared to bigger setups. Hopping over to another company was a wise choice.

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    any self respecting company will pay what a person is worth. I wasn't headhunted and I got that. I actually stated a lower pay hoping to secure the job, but instead, I was offered something higher and got the job.
    That is good for you. But as mentioned many times, how many such companies practice it? Either they are greatly in need of your knowledge and skill or .... (you know the answer yourselves)

Do allow me to re-iterate, in general job market trend in Singapore, if you are not headhunted, you can forget about such a pay jump.
    I am merely speaking from a management perspective.

It might be their HR polices does not cater for such changes.
    What normally company do, is on paper stated the employee quit and "re-employ" the person as a degree holder with some years of experience.

I do agreed to yanyewkay, "they were probably hired for a position for that qualification, after they read their degree, there's no opening in the higher position so they are stuck at ...."

Say for instance- a fresh grad vs a 40 yr old with is making a mid-career switch.Are fresh graduates paid the same as people who are having a mid-career switch?

Say for instance- a fresh grad vs a 40 yr old with is making a mid-career switch.Are fresh graduates paid the same as people who are having a mid-career switch?
    I would certainly hope not. Work experience in other fields or other companies sometimes are worth more than a piece of qualification, not to mention the contacts you make in the industry.

Having said that, fresh graduates could be employed as they are cheaper and seemed to be more ambitious and have more drive.

In the govt sector, the policy is to take into account your working experience and provide increments to match the experience.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by blive View Post
    I would certainly hope not. Work experience in other fields or other companies sometimes are worth more than a piece of qualification, not to mention the contacts you make in the industry.

Having said that, fresh graduates could be employed as they are cheaper and seemed to be more ambitious and have more drive.

In the govt sector, the policy is to take into account your working experience and provide increments to match the experience.
    In reality it is happening!Alot of places are saying that it is difficult to teach a 40 yr old and also they question the adaptability of the candidate. You mentioned that a fresh grad is more ambitious and has more drive but there are also mid-career switchers who are also equally ambitious and are capable of taking on more challenging jobs. So why can't the mid-switcher get a higher pay than them?
    Last edited by dancemania; 10th June 2008 at 10:06 AM.

Totally agree as that's what happen to me
    Main reason is that if that job only need diploma requirements, company will not pay a degree holder for that job.
    Thus most of the time people just resign and get a better job.(but often come with more work load, stress & sh**)

In reality it is happening!Alot of places are saying that it is difficult to teach a 40 yr old and also they question the adaptability of the candidate. You mentioned that a fresh grad is more ambitious and has more drive but there are also mid-career switchers who are also equally ambitious and are capable of taking on more challenging jobs. So why can't the mid-switcher get a higher pay than them?
    Certainly, there are mid-career switchers who is more ambitious and more capable. The thing is that we live in a society which places an empahsis on youth, as the youths can work for a longer period of years before retirement, so it helps to invest in them. At the same time, they are not bogged down by family committments and are generally more able to work even longer hours and not have to leave early to look after kids and other stuff.

That's the general belief, but its not what i believe in. However, I am not a boss or a policy maker. Where I worked, the more experienced old timer are certainly more capable of handling situations. It certainly depends on the individual.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

Certainly, there are mid-career switchers who is more ambitious and more capable. The thing is that we live in a society which places an empahsis on youth, as the youths can work for a longer period of years before retirement, so it helps to invest in them. At the same time, they are not bogged down by family committments and are generally more able to work even longer hours and not have to leave early to look after kids and other stuff.

That's the general belief, but its not what i believe in. However, I am not a boss or a policy maker. Where I worked, the more experienced old timer are certainly more capable of handling situations. It certainly depends on the individual.
    Nowadays, many workers stay only a few years at a company, then move to another company typically with a higher pay, and keeps on going.......not many will stay on for years anymore

HS

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    Nowadays, many workers stay only a few years at a company, then move to another company typically with a higher pay, and keeps on going.......not many will stay on for years anymore

HS
    Older employee who have a family to feed are the one who will most likely to stay on with a company as compared to the single and younger one.
    Companies are still willing to employ these group of people for their experience and "loyalty".

Don't forget that there are mid-career switchers who don't have kids and want a more challenging job. Some employers find it hard to believe that mid-career switchers still want challenges.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast