Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Equipment Rental Experience

  1. #21
    purplemonkey
    Guests

    Default Re: Equipment Rental Experience

    Ya, so I hope I didn't come across as really putting down the rental company and trying to bring down their name.

    I just had to share the very unpleasant experience which really made me feel down and demoralized that morning.

    Luckily the people in the actual shoot were really nice and lifted my spirit after a while. After that we all had beer and chilled out, albeit it being a discussion meeting too.

    The client is very happy with the video production too.


  2. #22

    Default Re: Equipment Rental Experience

    Quote Originally Posted by purplemonkey View Post
    Ya, so I hope I didn't come across as really putting down the rental company and trying to bring down their name.

    I just had to share the very unpleasant experience which really made me feel down and demoralized that morning.

    Luckily the people in the actual shoot were really nice and lifted my spirit after a while. After that we all had beer and chilled out, albeit it being a discussion meeting too.

    The client is very happy with the video production too.

    For those who say don't need to give the shop face... honestly have you rented from the shop before or are you just adding oil to the fire.

    For TS..... I don't know how long have you been doing this line of work but if everyone of us professionals come setting up accounts to bitch about rental houses, crew, clients, work.... there will be tons of such threads.... And something there are worse and bigger things that can happen at shoots so really this is nothing to be down and demoralized about.... It's part of being in the film industry..... not the rude part but the part of being able to handle anything that comes your way.

    P.S I am not a member of the shop... I am just speaking objectively.

  3. #23
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Equipment Rental Experience

    You do not need to rent from the shop before to ask someone to put down their name. In fact, if one does not know their name, how would one know whether one has rented from them before?

    Also, I don't see anything wrong with "bitching about rental houses, crew, clients, work" etc. If you have an issue with a new account, then your point is directed not so much towards the bitching, but the anonymity or questionable nature of a first time poster.

    From your two paragraphs, I take the view that you are the type who prefer to keep things hush than to have things known to all.

    Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    For those who say don't need to give the shop face... honestly have you rented from the shop before or are you just adding oil to the fire.

    For TS..... I don't know how long have you been doing this line of work but if everyone of us professionals come setting up accounts to bitch about rental houses, crew, clients, work.... there will be tons of such threads.... And something there are worse and bigger things that can happen at shoots so really this is nothing to be down and demoralized about.... It's part of being in the film industry..... not the rude part but the part of being able to handle anything that comes your way.

    P.S I am not a member of the shop... I am just speaking objectively.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Equipment Rental Experience

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    You do not need to rent from the shop before to ask someone to put down their name. In fact, if one does not know their name, how would one know whether one has rented from them before?

    Also, I don't see anything wrong with "bitching about rental houses, crew, clients, work" etc. If you have an issue with a new account, then your point is directed not so much towards the bitching, but the anonymity or questionable nature of a first time poster.

    From your two paragraphs, I take the view that you are the type who prefer to keep things hush than to have things known to all.
    It is called being professional. We don't go take a job and then later post on a online forum that client this and that was difficult to work with, that equipment house the manager rude to me.... and etc... No I don't believe in being hush, if I have an issue, I will take it up with the party involved and clear things up. Not set up an account and go whining about it.

  5. #25
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Equipment Rental Experience

    Well, to each his own. I rather hear a bad experience and avoid the shop/client/crew/whoever, than to learn by experiencing it myself.

    Perhaps that's why some prefer to learn from reading, and others prefer to get themselves down and dirty.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Equipment Rental Experience

    Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    For TS..... I don't know how long have you been doing this line of work but if everyone of us professionals come setting up accounts to bitch about rental houses, crew, clients, work.... there will be tons of such threads.... And something there are worse and bigger things that can happen at shoots so really this is nothing to be down and demoralized about.... It's part of being in the film industry..... not the rude part but the part of being able to handle anything that comes your way.
    I do not think purplemonkey just set up this account to bitch about the particular rental house, as he registered this account 6 months ago as seen from his profile.

  7. #27
    purplemonkey
    Guests

    Default Re: Equipment Rental Experience

    Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    I do not think purplemonkey just set up this account to bitch about the particular rental house, as he registered this account 6 months ago as seen from his profile.
    Haha.. thanks Bean.

    I was just about to tell aeskywan that but honestly, it doesn't matter lah in the end. My objective here is not to nitpick and tell people to see properly before typing and all that. It does remind me of the bad experience though, aeskywan says I created this account just to whine, when he or she did not even try to ascertain facts. Just like the people at the shop shooting their mouths off.

    I am not trying to give a bad name to the rental place even, I was just honestly sharing my horrendous experience in the hope that they may realize how they may improve the service and take care of the things they say, as service providers.

    I am pretty sure others here have received wonderful service from them before.

    Maybe it's just my bad luck or maybe they've just had a bad morning or something. I knew my morning was pretty bad, but the day ended ok.

    Last edited by purplemonkey; 3rd June 2008 at 10:08 PM.

  8. #28

    Default Re: Equipment Rental Experience

    We all have 'bad mornings', or 'bad days'. And not forgetting, different perspectives and well, expectations of what constitutes 'professionalism', 'manners' and 'etiquette' within a professional realm.

    My opinion is, especially considering the typical Asian mentalities and attitudes regarding problems encountered during business, what this rental company did, and with the GM messaging you directly shows that yes, they are concerned about service standards and levels, and have taken a positive step towards answering your grievances.

    Perhaps one or two staff members might have been having as bad a day or even worse, as you did prior to your stepping into the company's premises, but sometimes we need to give our suppliers a chance to improve, because eventually, we all stand to gain from a win-win situation.

    A crisis or bad situation can be viewed as an opportunity to foster an even stronger relationship with a supplier provided we all do our parts.

    In the end, you get a supplier that values you even more because you cared enough to really communicate with them, regardless of how impossible it may have seemed at the time when everyone was on edge, and work through a problem with them. Chances are, in return, they will treasure you even more, extending that proverbial 'extra mile' - something working professionals will always be greatful for from time to time.

  9. #29
    purplemonkey
    Guests

    Default Re: Equipment Rental Experience

    Well said, Dream Merchant.


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •