Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Equipment Rental Experience

purplemonkey
    Guests

Angry Equipment Rental Experience

Hi, I know I am just grousing but I must admit it's one of my most harrowing experience being a customer.

My client at the very last minute was so adamant that I rent from this popular equipment rental place somewhere near Farrer Park MRT that I had to go all the way from the West, when I had already arranged for another friendly equipment rental guy to deliver a video camera kit to the hotel, our point of rendezvous for that day. I really don't know why.

I don't know if it's just my luck but the taxi I took didn't know the address at all and had a really 'blur' look on his face and was constantly mumbling something when I spoke to him. Fair enough, he dropped me just before the Civil Service Club and so I had to walk another 5 minutes to the rental place after confirming directions with the woman on the phone. All this while trying to answer my client's incessant phonecalls asking me where I was and whether the equipment was ready.

Finally got to the place all flustered and the PRC sounding lady went on and on about how I should have gone to the police station if the taxi driver decided to drop me off just anyhow and I told her I was really in a rush and that would not have been a good idea.

Took my IC and photostatted it and I took the camera and the tripod and paid. Yes, I left the place forgetting to put my signature because I was really, really in a hurry but a guy called out loudly from the entrance of the shop and the lady asked me sarcastically why I didn't sign her 'form'. Was signing on the photostatted copy of my IC, and she went on about how they will charge me if anything is wrong when I return the equipment and I was baffled because I was not signing on a standard, PROFESSIONAL T&C agreement, listing down exactly what I paid for and took out from the place. Even those smalltime rental equipment people from the churches gave me a T&C with the list of things.

Then the guy gave me more sarcasm and said "You think you can just throw S$100 and walk away huh? Is this your first time renting equipment?!" Fwah, I almost lost my cool but I told them I was in a hurry and everything my client wanted last minute, and told him I didn't need those words coming from him.

Proceeded out with the guy at the door and I said "Really sorry, I'm really flustered by all this rush." and know what he replied?

"You are lucky that you still got the camera. I could've taken it back."

BEST!!!

Default Re: Equipment Rental Experience

Wow! that will definity spoil you entire day.

can't really blame the rental shop on the last part, as the Signature is really important for the renting contract. Without that, people may be really can walk out with the gear without paper evidence, but base on verbal evidence only, let alone if any dispute happened, it can be real messy.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

purplemonkey
    Guests

Yes, I agree with you zcf but I genuinely forgot and was in such a rush and was damn hungry cos I didn't even have time to eat anything since I woke up.

I am still baffled though, that such a large equipment rental place don't even have a T&C with the list of things stated clearly and the lady can just say "If anything spoil, we are going to charge you.", and threateningly too.

Nobody will appreciate this kind of 'professionalism' and sarcasm, unless they are one of those xenophobic people.

I certainly do not appreciate this kind of 'service'. Just bo bian, my client wanted me to get from them by hook or by crook.

it is nothing wrong to take extra precautions when dealing with new customer, especially you are taking a piece of equipments cost many times than what you make a deposit with him.

you would reject a customer if you suspect he could be turn out to be a nasty customer, like too demanding, bad pay master etc.

making less money is far better give yourself endless trouble later on, isn't it?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

I have used that rental house b4 and is still using it. They are very professional, so i don't see why you would have a large problem with them? Their t&c is stated in their website if i am not mistaken. They also have physical copies in the shop i'm sure. Also there is nothing wrong for them to require to sign the documents stipulated.
    Chanxj
    my blog @ http://sgsnap.com

Errr you created an account just to post this??

purplemonkey
    Guests

Sorry, please don't get me wrong ya.

I admitted that I forgot to sign and just left, and even apologized to the man as I walked out the door, as stated in my post.

I certainly did not say I shouldn't have to sign.

What I am saying is that I was expecting to sign on a T&C contract that contains a detailed list of the things that are on my shoulder, in those two bags but I was made to sign on just a photostatted copy of my IC with some scribblings in it.

If the guy can be sarcastic and say 'Is this the first time you are renting?", the procedures and the things he said certainly do not match his quest for 'professionalism'.

I did not say I was totally not in the wrong.

We have no idea what actually happened because we're listening to just one side of the account.

I actually once stood in front of a stall, where a customer (old man - talked kinda slowly) was asking about the price of a non-standard dish. The shop told him the price and the customer thought for awhile (probably considering if he could afford the dish). The store-keeper got impatient because there were other customers waiting in line. Customer said don't want, and asked for standard dish. Store keeper went to make order and just as they placed the dish on his tray, the old man put the money down on the counter. I observed that the old man was not very flexible, so the money 'dropped' a bit, hitting the counter. Fast forward, storekeeper got angry that the old man 'threw the money on the counter', ran out into the hawker center screaming at the old man all the way to the table.

I don't think the old man did anything offensive or wrong, and similarly, the store-keeper, believing that the old man was 'not happy', threw the money at them! In their eyes, both are correct.

Perhaps there might have been some kind of mis-communication, even if it's non-verbal, and the establishment might have gotten some kind of impression that caused them some concern.

I have to admit - I've dealt regularly with two of the people there in the past, and all I can say is that not only are they professional with proper admin and paperwork, but have on many occasions gone very much out of their way to help me even though my business was only a very small amount (less than $100).

Perhaps you could approach them and let them know how you feel and see if you could 'settle it' amicably before coming onto a public forum to trash them without giving them any kind of opportunity to iron it out.

purplemonkey
    Guests

Believe me, sir.

I did try. I even composed myself and said "I'm really sorry about this." as I walked out the door but the guy just kept on with his sarcasm.

If not for the fact that my client was adamant about using them, and that we were really pressed for time - I would gladly give him back the camera kit and say "It's ok. I'll just rent from somewhere else if you don't like me to patronise you for whatever reason.".

I certainly will reciprocate the kindness when people are nice, and I reiterate that I admit I was wrong to genuinely forgotten to sign because I was feeling so flustered.

To me, I forgot to do something (sign the form) and they handled the situation as if I am about to steal their belongings.

They really need not have said what they have said.

Let's hope it can be settled and that all parties can be happy.

Hi,

I work in the company and I would want to apologise for the bad experience you had.
    Please contact me at 90406467 Dan in future.

Regards,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by trucatus View Post
    Hi,

I work in the company and I would want to apologise for the bad experience you had.
    Please contact me at 90406467 Dan in future.

Regards,
    Dan
    woa so fast feedback taken...
    cs really spreads like fire.

if there's anything I hate, it's rude customer service. TS please PM me the shop name if you don't want to publish here. I do a fair share of equipment renting
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

this kind of shop, dun need to give them face, just list down the shop name here, all the brothers here will know wat to do accordingly.
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

actually do a bit of searching in CS and u can find out what company it is..

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    if there's anything I hate, it's rude customer service. TS please PM me the shop name if you don't want to publish here. I do a fair share of equipment renting
    click on the member profile of post #12. you will find the shop name there.

purplemonkey
    Guests

Guys, the GM of the shop has PMed me personally with an apology for his staff.

I've heard of this shop before but it was my first time there, and it's quite a well-stocked place with an impressive client base and all that.

Maybe my incident is just an isolated one, and it's partly my fault anyway for being in such a rush and forgetting to sign. I hope lah, that the staff gets trained better and are more fully equipped and ready to serve, no matter how much $$$ the client brings.

I am not saying it's a bad place. It's just my luck that I got such bad service on my first time there due to some reason which till today baffles me.

I am not saying that I will not ever go there again because the GM who PMed me sounds like a nice and reasonable guy.

Last edited by purplemonkey; 3rd June 2008 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    click on the member profile of post #12. you will find the shop name there.
    thanks~
    video equipment not my area.
    Last edited by yanyewkay; 3rd June 2008 at 03:19 PM.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

glad to have a happy ending.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast