Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: abandoned buildings next to grange heights

Default abandoned buildings next to grange heights

happened to walk to grange heights (opposite the youth park) today when i noticed two abandoned buildings next to the condo...one is obviously a residential building with rotting floor boards on the 2nd story...just wondering if anyone knows what the 2nd and larger building used to be? there was a huge stain glass window (albeit broken) at the staircase..initially thought it was some missionary building until i noticed that the images on the stain glass were not those of biblical characters or saints from the past...they were two chinese maidens

it wasn't exactly abandoned..there were clothes hung around outside, so i'm guessing some foreign labourers are using it, but didn't see anyone of them when i went in

bet it was pretty grand back in the day..took some photos but it was on film, so i can't show anything yet..would anyone happen to know what this building used to be?

Default Re: abandoned buildings next to grange heights

The Soong Sister Mansion.

ahh..cool..thanks man..interesting..just googled it and it seems like it's haunted..could explain why my camera jammed when i had 6 frames left to shoot :P haha..

wow..ignorance really is bliss..haha..wonder if i would have entered had i known..hahaha..

Not sure whether it was a restricted area as me and some friends were stopped by the foreign workers, saying we need to have permission.

maybe they're just afraid people might mess up their stuff..it's lying all over the place inside...got chainsaw somemore.. i guess i was fortunate in that no one was around... is there a story behind these two buildings? the only thing i managed to get from google about the soong sisters is that they were really powerful and influential...apparently one of them burnt herself in the smaller house..which would explain the rotting/weak floorboards.

the ground floor of the mansion smells really rancid..you know the smell you get from dirty underwear from those week long field camps? yeah.. suspected it came from a mattress in the hall..but didn't want to find out if my assumptions were correct
    Last edited by agentmonkey; 1st June 2008 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by agentmonkey View Post
    maybe they're just afraid people might mess up their stuff..it's lying all over the place inside...got chainsaw somemore.. i guess i was fortunate in that no one was around... is there a story behind these two buildings? the only thing i managed to get from google about the soong sisters is that they were really powerful and influential...apparently one of them burnt herself in the smaller house..which would explain the rotting/weak floorboards.

the ground floor of the mansion smells really rancid..you know the smell you get from dirty underwear from those week long field camps? yeah.. suspected it came from a mattress in the hall..but didn't want to find out if my assumptions were correct

The name does not relates anything to the Soong sisters. It came from here.

One might have to be cautious when going to the upper levels as the structure looks like it gonna collapsed anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by dzignous View Post
    The Soong Sister Mansion.
    Stop calling it that.

It is a name coined by the people from SPI to link it with some possible supernatural past, of which there's no evidence of.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

ahh..cool..thanks man..interesting..just googled it and it seems like it's haunted..could explain why my camera jammed when i had 6 frames left to shoot :P haha..
    Sorry, but I think that's nonsense lor. Stop spreading rumours, please.

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    Sorry, but I think that's nonsense lor. Stop spreading rumours, please.
    hey chill out man, i meant that tongue in cheek..i merely wanted to know what the building was..and what kind of history it had... no intentions of spreading rumours, just merely stating what i found out about it, whether true or not i don't know, which is why i posted this thread...to find out more... and coincidentally my camera did jam on the last 6 frames...

there must be a reason for you to protest, may i know why? i'm not angry or anything, i'm just genuinely curious. the building piqued my interest for some reason..so if you know anything, would like to know too
    Last edited by agentmonkey; 1st June 2008 at 07:49 PM.

Well, it's just my personal point of view.

I'm very much into old/historical buildings in Sg, and it kind of riles me a bit when people create websites to sensationalise places by calling it "haunted" without any kind of proof. If you think about objectively, many of the "evidence" produced can be easily explained by natural phenomena. It's really a case of making something out of nothing. I see it as an insult to a place when people use it as a venue for a spook hunt, and give it a negative reputation that it doesn't deserve.

It once was a beautiful building, so appreciate it as such.

For what it's worth, the place is called Chee Guan Chiang House (according to what I've researched on the internet).

i was there months ago, it was used to put up foreign workers. i spoke to 1 who happen to be there. another building beside it has lots of bees.

not sure about its status now.

I'm very much into old/historical buildings in Sg, and it kind of riles me a bit when people create websites to sensationalise places by calling it "haunted" without any kind of proof. If you think about objectively, many of the "evidence" produced can be easily explained by natural phenomena. It's really a case of making something out of nothing. I see it as an insult to a place when people use it as a venue for a spook hunt, and give it a negative reputation that it doesn't deserve.

For what it's worth, the place is called Chee Guan Chiang House (according to what I've researched on the internet).

yeah i get what you mean..the SPI website really tries to blow things out of proportion..and it's quite badly written too...unfortunately that's just about the most useful thing i could find when i searched for the soong sister mansion...

so the real name for it is chee guan chiang?

any idea who it might have been owned by? when i was there, i had the assumption that if it wasn't a missionary building, which i thought it might have been because of the stain glass (until i noticed the chinese maidens), it might have been some kind of huay kwan...those dialect group associations

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    i was there months ago, it was used to put up foreign workers. i spoke to 1 who happen to be there. another building beside it has lots of bees.

not sure about its status now.
    still being used by the foreign workers i think, all their clothes (At least i think it belongs to them) were being hung out to dry...even on the first floor at the foot of the staircase, one long clothes line stretching out with towels hanging on it

i was quite surprised to find these two buildings..apart from the mitre hotel, never knew the orchard area would have any of these derelict buildings

do be careful, the foreign workers aren't that accomodating, usually they call the cops once they spot anybody loitering in the area. Apparently they are not residing there illegally. And yah bees, stay clear. Once anybody get hurt there, sure to generate lots of publicity, and everybody knows what's gonna happen when there's too much attention.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

If there are 4D numbers on the film buy big big.

kaoz the website is so crappy

There's some very beautiful details in the house, not found anywhere else. Dunno which bugger damaged them. It's a priceless heritage building. Based on the history of the villa, the context of the area and the architecture, it is a priceless piece of our heritage.

" Chee Guan Chiang House " ?? u mean machine gun in chinese ?

Quote Originally Posted by Exposure View Post
    " Chee Guan Chiang House " ?? u mean machine gun in chinese ?
    Its the original owner's name.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast