Thread: DIY tripod "legs" tat float...

Deregistered

Default DIY tripod "legs" tat float...

Went shooting sunrise with BROs in the Alpha forum ... Went to the beach/muddy area only to find tat the tripod legs stinking into the ground... So tot of doing a DIY legs or stopper tat can be use in the soft ground... :-/

Sorry for the poor image.. :ashamed:

So here they are... stil not tested... Hope it can 'float' on the mud...

1. 3 pics of wired lookin stands...

2. Top view.. Its adjustable..

3. My tripod legs...

4.Unscrew n instal the DIY stand..

Deregistered

Default Re: DIY tripod "legs" tat float...

5. So ther u have it a DIY tripod stand..

6. Low Angle shot...

should work fine with a little more trial and error!
    great work! =)

cool.. its those rubber suction cup things right..

The idea is correct, but you might need to increase the surface area many times for it to be effective.

Looks good to me, but I think for a combo of heavier tripod, camera and big tele lens this is not enough. Also, the flat surfaces of the disks could result in some sliding.
    Looking at the maths of this: by increasing area where the weight is loaded on (here: your rubber feet) by factor 10 will reduce the load per area unit (sq cm) by the factor 100. That should be enough for soft mud. The rubber feet have a diameter of about 0.5cm. Therefore, using something with a diameter of 5cm should be enough.
    You could take the metal lids of glass jars (e.g. from pickled cucumbers or so) as bigger disks, but I think they will get rusty very soon. Plastic lids would do better here. To mount them onto your small disks just use speaker spikes (example). The spikes will prevent sliding. But you'll need to drill at least 2 holes into your small metal disks.

if not, building on Octarine's idea, just bring the metal lids out~ and put them on the mud before u place the tripoD! can wash them easily after tt too! =)

The feet look mighty shaky to me. You might want to reinforce it before mounting a heavy lens and camera on top.

Samuel
    f/8 and be there.

As mentioned above, the idea is correct.

Try increasing the diameter of the base plates to about 75mm or so simply by sticking a thick piece of plastic or hard rubber under the current ones, it will be more effective. Will provide for some 'traction' on hard surfaces too if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    The idea is correct, but you might need to increase the surface area many times for it to be effective.
    yes, agree with that, at this size, it will still sink, you need to increase the size a lot more.

usually, I just find anything around the beach, to place it beneath the tripod legs.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio