Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: mtv/movie kind of effect ?

  1. #1

    Default mtv/movie kind of effect ?

    hi.. just watching chinese mtv today and started to wonder if it was possible to reproduce that kind of effect of surreality that you see on mtv onto a camera picture...

    and also movies... you know... it doesn't look like a normal eye or normal video cam... there's just some adjustment to the movie or mtv that makes it look... uh.. not like the original thing would turn out...

    anybody knows how to do this ? with what filter ? or is it only possible in photoshop ?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default

    It would help if you post a frame grab of the effect you are referring to
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  3. #3

    Default

    simple just turn on MTV or watch any movie and you'd realise that whatever you see doesn't look like a channel 8 tv show, or what you see in a photograph.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong, Pokfulam
    Posts
    1,157

    Default

    is it like, when u watch a movie, everything seems more realistic but when u watch "the making of ... (the same movie)" u don't get the same feel?
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

  5. #5

    Default

    Originally posted by sequitur
    simple just turn on MTV or watch any movie and you'd realise that whatever you see doesn't look like a channel 8 tv show, or what you see in a photograph.
    Is it because movies and MTVs are running at a lower framerate compared to normal TV?

  6. #6

    Default

    channel 8 shoot low budget video lah, movies shoot actual film, thats why you get the difference.

  7. #7

    Default

    no.. i don't think you all got what i meant...


    okay here's what

    you look at channel 8 then you look at your surroundings.. yeah it looks just the same. what you see is what you get.

    now you watch a movie then you look at your surroundings.. there's some difference somewhere right ? the movie gives a more... "movie" feel.. surrealistic feel...

    now you watch mtv... it gives the same kind of "movie" feel... it doesn't look like your surroundings at all.

  8. #8

    Default

    read my reply again carefully, the ch8 crap is shot on video, while eric khoo's movies are shot on film stock, thats why theres a vast difference...
    the soap "days of our lives" is shot on video while "Friends" is shot on film stock.....notice the difference now?

  9. #9

    Default

    Actually in the matrix dvd the visual effects guy said that they had to post process the digitally captured bullet time scenes to make it look like film stock, but he didnt give the name of the software used.

  10. #10

    Default

    uh...
    in case you dunno

    there're lots of films filmed on video that look like "movie" effects.

    there's just a method and a filters to do it.. or editting software..

    that's my question.. what to do to get the effect.. i don't really care if it's film stock or video.. unless you're trying to say it's "impossible to get that kind of image using a normal cam" then nothing i can say... but you didn't put it explicitly so i'm not saying it.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    525

    Default

    Originally posted by sequitur
    uh...
    in case you dunno

    there're lots of films filmed on video that look like "movie" effects.

    there's just a method and a filters to do it.. or editting software..

    that's my question.. what to do to get the effect.. i don't really care if it's film stock or video.. unless you're trying to say it's "impossible to get that kind of image using a normal cam" then nothing i can say... but you didn't put it explicitly so i'm not saying it.
    That's a Trade Secret.. serious!! LOL.. I learnt it while doing my attachment at a video post production house. Hint* there's no one fixed way to do it and no filters are involved. This can be done EASILY on video editing machines but in PS, can be quite tedious as different shots requires different methods. I highly do not recommend it as doin these adjustments will only affect the image quality. I can go forever but it's because digital camera's G-R-G-B filter causes noise in the different channels to become obvious with these adjustments.. well, except for cameras with faveon x3 CCDs.. The reason why it can be accomplised without affecting quality in the video is because they are shot on betacams with 3 CCDs..

    I personally believe photography should be the way it is.. WYSIWYG.

    Enjoy experimenting to get the look you want..
    Last edited by viix; 30th June 2003 at 03:04 AM.

  12. #12

    Default

    I know exactly what you mean. Just look at the MTVs shot by Sg's TV stations and those shown on Taiwan's MTV channel. The feel is totally different. Our local ones look just like normal TV programmes, whereas the overseas ones really look like an mtv, with the 'movie' feel and slow-mo effects and stuff.

    I was thinking whether a 3CCD camera can achieve that effect, but it seems it has more to do with editing. The Panasonic 3CCd videocam is now getting quite affordable, from $3299 to $2499 at Mustafa Centre.

  13. #13

    Default

    wow..

    okay at least people understand what i mean

    hmm
    trade secret ? serious ?

    so there's no way to do it with a normal cam? as in without editing in PS ?

    man..

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default

    Ah.. I see. I have edited video shot on digital video before and the main diff I see is that these digital video tend to oversaturate, oversharpen and overcontrast. So if you can sortof soften it in software, then you may get that effect.

    Raw footage from movies are also not that great before post process. Urmmm sorry do not know what software they are using.

  15. #15

    Default

    A production company I was with used them once. Read about their process here. Might shed some light on the secret.

    http://www.filmlook.com/process.html

  16. #16

    Default

    stumbled upon this post..

    i feel e reason why some MTVs look better than e rest..is due to their lighting. those in production wud surely understand...good lighting makes ur rushes look like they have depth and tone...bad lighting (or lack of) completely ruins it...making the picture look flat.

    my best bet for getting this kinda shots wud be to place emphasis on ur lighting.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    525

    Default

    Originally posted by gnail
    stumbled upon this post..

    i feel e reason why some MTVs look better than e rest..is due to their lighting. those in production wud surely understand...good lighting makes ur rushes look like they have depth and tone...bad lighting (or lack of) completely ruins it...making the picture look flat.

    my best bet for getting this kinda shots wud be to place emphasis on ur lighting.
    Yup. You are very correct. A good video empahasizes on proper lighting, with extreme care taken to colour temperature difference. Notice how some MTVs have lighting balanced for tungsten temperatures, eg. Madonna's Die Another Day. The table lamps and flood lights which are warm appears white in the shot. The environment, on the other hand, have a blueish cast. This is because large diffuse fill lights are employed which are cooler! Giving a blueish cast. Notice no filters are employed. Just intelliget use of mix lighting to achieve a look.

    Of course you will then have to compensate the other colours in the shot with careful planning (eg. make up of the models so they do not look too pale or "BLUE" etc..) which explains why when you see a location shoot, the models tend to be heavily made up with foundation and blusher and look like red lobsters. Yet they look quite natural on TV.

    This is one way.. There are many techiniques which applies the same rules of photography, but with very very intricate details taken care of. This explain why during a production there is a director, a director of photography, many PAs, many camera men, an a continuality: a person who ensure the actors look the same today as he did during yesterday's shoots.
    Last edited by viix; 2nd July 2003 at 02:23 AM.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    525

    Default

    Originally posted by AstralPrue
    I know exactly what you mean. Just look at the MTVs shot by Sg's TV stations and those shown on Taiwan's MTV channel. The feel is totally different. Our local ones look just like normal TV programmes, whereas the overseas ones really look like an mtv, with the 'movie' feel and slow-mo effects and stuff.

    I was thinking whether a 3CCD camera can achieve that effect, but it seems it has more to do with editing. The Panasonic 3CCd videocam is now getting quite affordable, from $3299 to $2499 at Mustafa Centre.
    3CCD cams are so much higher in resolution and color accuracy than 1 CCD cams. Colour is VERY IMPORTANT in modern videos (except B&W of course). That is a position known as a colorist at a post production house. What he does is to make a shot looks exactly like how the director wants it!

    To get video that looks CLOSER to film (I say closer cos it's not so close to film YET) is the panasonics new 24p cams.
    Last edited by viix; 2nd July 2003 at 02:25 AM.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    525

    Default

    Originally posted by AstralPrue
    I know exactly what you mean. Just look at the MTVs shot by Sg's TV stations and those shown on Taiwan's MTV channel. The feel is totally different. Our local ones look just like normal TV programmes, whereas the overseas ones really look like an mtv, with the 'movie' feel and slow-mo effects and stuff.

    I was thinking whether a 3CCD camera can achieve that effect, but it seems it has more to do with editing. The Panasonic 3CCd videocam is now getting quite affordable, from $3299 to $2499 at Mustafa Centre.
    Yeah, MAINSTREAM tv SUCKS!! but seriously Singapore has alot of good video that you guys don't get to see on TV. That's because Singapore TV dun have budget to pay the good ones. LOL, mostly these good videos are for overseas clients.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Originally posted by sequitur
    no.. i don't think you all got what i meant...


    okay here's what

    you look at channel 8 then you look at your surroundings.. yeah it looks just the same. what you see is what you get.

    now you watch a movie then you look at your surroundings.. there's some difference somewhere right ? the movie gives a more... "movie" feel.. surrealistic feel...

    now you watch mtv... it gives the same kind of "movie" feel... it doesn't look like your surroundings at all.
    I think I know what you mean.... the kind of blurry... morning freshness feel about those chinese mtv... the colors and tones all looks very peaceful kind right?

    I think a lomo lc-a can acheive that kind of feel. i have seen several lomo pics that remind me about the way i feel about those mtvs.... esp if you cross processed the pics... but then again, the colors must not be too strong if you x-processed....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •