Thread: Nikon AF 80-200mm f2.8D ED

Default Nikon AF 80-200mm f2.8D ED

Hi all,

I just bought the above lens. Tried shooting with the lens and I realised that the pic seems to be soft at 200mm compared to 135mm, both shot at f2.8. Is this normal?

And there seems to be a 'black dot' or dust inside the lens which I cannot clean it. But when I took a 'blank' picture, I can't find the dot. It is alright?
    Last edited by kevyan; 29th May 2008 at 10:19 PM.

Default Re: Nikon AF 80-200mm f2.8D ED

Best that you post some pics. What shutter speed are you using?

Wonder if it is due to movement of the camera? What shutter speed did you use?

Aiyah... I deleted pictures liao....

I was using flash from the SB-600. Max. shutter speed allow was 1/200. I can't set any higher leh. Can't be movement because it was mounted.

Quote Originally Posted by dzignous View Post
    Best that you post some pics. What shutter speed are you using?
    Quote Originally Posted by pandukades View Post
    Wonder if it is due to movement of the camera? What shutter speed did you use?

It depends, normally, when used wide open, lenses tend to be slightly softer. And a longer focal length can affect pictures evem when mounted. The tripod may not be as stable as you think.

On lenses, it normally does not show up. Users tend to shoot white BG with small apertures to show up dust on the sensor. Not sure if this will affect lens problems.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by kevyan View Post
    Aiyah... I deleted pictures liao....

I was using flash from the SB-600. Max. shutter speed allow was 1/200. I can't set any higher leh. Can't be movement because it was mounted.
    just wondering what was your ISO. high ISO do soften images a little. at 2.8, focusing is critical for sharpness.

Eh.... the 'dust' is inside the lens, not the sensor. I was shooting with 200mm, f2.8, ISO200 with flash.

Well, I think it may just be the characteristic of the lens. I read somewhere that this lens is soft at 200mm if shoot at f2.8. Will try to shoot and f4.

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    It depends, normally, when used wide open, lenses tend to be slightly softer. And a longer focal length can affect pictures evem when mounted. The tripod may not be as stable as you think.

On lenses, it normally does not show up. Users tend to shoot white BG with small apertures to show up dust on the sensor. Not sure if this will affect lens problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by jfoo View Post
    just wondering what was your ISO. high ISO do soften images a little. at 2.8, focusing is critical for sharpness.

if the dust is inside the lens do a exchange immediately.
    like the ppl above mentioned, at 2.8, expect ur photos to be softer at the tele end.

usually dust within the lens do not cause any visible issues. even new lenses can have some dust within

Ryan

Had this lense in the past. Yep soft at 2.8, gorgeous at 4-5.6. It's a dumbell of a lens, heavy...

Okay.... I have taken a few test shots with various setting.... found nothing worthy of concern. I think I will stick with it....

Yap... it's about 1.3kg.... nvm lah... train my arm muscle lor...

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    usually dust within the lens do not cause any visible issues. even new lenses can have some dust within

Ryan
    Quote Originally Posted by dennisc View Post
    Had this lense in the past. Yep soft at 2.8, gorgeous at 4-5.6. It's a dumbell of a lens, heavy...