Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: A Night Scene

  1. #1

    Default A Night Scene

    Hi guys,

    took this picture at the roof of Esplanade. I would like to know how you guys feel about the composition, and how it can be further improved. I tried cropping Mandarin Oriental building away, but the result do not seem appealing to me. Any comments or help?



    Settings are:

    Shutter Speed: 6 Sec
    Aperture: f/16
    ISO: 200
    Last edited by HTCahHTC; 29th May 2008 at 06:28 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Serangoon North
    Posts
    2,225

    Default Re: A Night Scene

    The usual suggestions would be to shoot during the "golden hours" 6.30pm - 7.15pm where there is more colors in the sky. Also ISO can lower somemore to 100 or less. Maybe can do some USM on the photo too.

  3. #3
    Member sunboi80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    West of SG
    Posts
    743

    Default Re: A Night Scene

    I seem to see some purple cast at the sides, Somehow the picture does not seem sharp enough to me to give a nice light trail.could be due to diffraction. Could be your lens? how abt trying f/11 or f/8?

    Somehow i feel that this pic would look better in a landscape orientation...
    I like the attempt though, the road and the light leading to the singapore flyer?
    ;) L-plate Photog: I come, I see, I shoot

  4. #4
    Member lennyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,520

    Default Re: A Night Scene

    Quote Originally Posted by m3lv1nh0 View Post
    The usual suggestions would be to shoot during the "golden hours" 6.30pm - 7.15pm where there is more colors in the sky. Also ISO can lower somemore to 100 or less. Maybe can do some USM on the photo too.
    Yeah, the hotel seems to merge into the sky. I can see how shooting before the sky is completely dark might work better. Light trails may not be as distinct though. Also agree about lack of sharpness in the image.

    If the emphasis is light trails leading to Singapore Flyer, there is too much distractions in the photo and Flyer is not prominent enough.

  5. #5

    Default Re: A Night Scene

    Quote Originally Posted by sunboi80 View Post
    I seem to see some purple cast at the sides, Somehow the picture does not seem sharp enough to me to give a nice light trail.could be due to diffraction. Could be your lens? how abt trying f/11 or f/8?

    Somehow i feel that this pic would look better in a landscape orientation...
    I like the attempt though, the road and the light leading to the singapore flyer?
    the purple cast was actually PP. hmmm, i believe the lens was dirty at that point of time for it not to be sharp. thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by lennyl View Post
    Yeah, the hotel seems to merge into the sky. I can see how shooting before the sky is completely dark might work better. Light trails may not be as distinct though. Also agree about lack of sharpness in the image.

    If the emphasis is light trails leading to Singapore Flyer, there is too much distractions in the photo and Flyer is not prominent enough.
    ok, gon' try out another shot later. thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by m3lv1nh0 View Post
    The usual suggestions would be to shoot during the "golden hours" 6.30pm - 7.15pm where there is more colors in the sky. Also ISO can lower somemore to 100 or less. Maybe can do some USM on the photo too.
    my lowest ISO is 100. and sorry for asking, but how can i do some USM on the photo? sorry, new to this greek word, 'photography'. thanks!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: A Night Scene

    I find that the pic is underexposed....other than those lights (which are emitting lights), the rest of the objs which reflect light are very dark, like the hotel for instant....

  7. #7
    Member lennyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,520

    Default Re: A Night Scene

    Quote Originally Posted by HTCahHTC View Post
    and sorry for asking, but how can i do some USM on the photo? sorry, new to this greek word, 'photography'. thanks!
    USM = unsharp mask, the Photoshop filter that's the tool of choice in sharpening. It can be a bit daunting to use, so you may want to try Smart Sharpen first if you're using Photoshop. Google for all the gory details on sharpening. But a couple of tips:

    1. Sharpen as the last step of your post processing.

    2. View your image at 100% when sharpening. It allows you to accurately judge the effect of the parameters in real time (if you have preview enabled).
    Last edited by lennyl; 1st June 2008 at 04:08 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: A Night Scene

    Quote Originally Posted by HTCahHTC View Post
    the purple cast was actually PP. hmmm, i believe the lens was dirty at that point of time for it not to be sharp. thanks!

    ...
    A lens being dirty does not affect its sharpness, unless your whole filter is misted.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,598

    Default Re: A Night Scene

    Looking at the exposure data; its underexposed but even if you exposed it for a longer time, it still wouldn't do much except over-exposing the lights. The scene, in general is just too dark. Details in the buildings were lost. The flyer looks too weak to have any visual impact.

    Composition...... I just feel that this isn't a good spot to take the flyer. The only building on the left throws the entire composition off balance, even if it was shot earlier or perfectly exposed. This composition just doesn't work. So is the colour cast.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pandan Gardens
    Posts
    403

    Default Re: A Night Scene

    perhaps you could try a longer shutter speed? when i take night shots, i generally shoot at about 20s.

    maybe you could adjust your white balance to cloudy? i shoot cloudy to get the slight orangey feeling.

    i would also prefer if you zoomed in towards the merging of the traffic and not take the hotel at all. then the flyer would look much more outstanding, especially when you shoot at long shutter speeds.

  11. #11

    Default Re: A Night Scene

    hi, just to share. if u r usind USM... i read on some books theres some settings for cityscapes u can try applying.
    Amount 65%, Radius 3, Threshold 2
    if this doesnt work then i guess u hv to experiment urself.
    hope this help

  12. #12

    Default Re: A Night Scene

    Quote Originally Posted by lennyl View Post
    USM = unsharp mask, the Photoshop filter that's the tool of choice in sharpening. It can be a bit daunting to use, so you may want to try Smart Sharpen first if you're using Photoshop. Google for all the gory details on sharpening. But a couple of tips:

    1. Sharpen as the last step of your post processing.

    2. View your image at 100% when sharpening. It allows you to accurately judge the effect of the parameters in real time (if you have preview enabled).
    i didnt know USM was short for unsharp mask. haha. thanks alot.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    Looking at the exposure data; its underexposed but even if you exposed it for a longer time, it still wouldn't do much except over-exposing the lights. The scene, in general is just too dark. Details in the buildings were lost. The flyer looks too weak to have any visual impact.

    Composition...... I just feel that this isn't a good spot to take the flyer. The only building on the left throws the entire composition off balance, even if it was shot earlier or perfectly exposed. This composition just doesn't work. So is the colour cast.
    i couldnt find any better spots to take. thanks alot.

    Quote Originally Posted by iRaphael View Post
    perhaps you could try a longer shutter speed? when i take night shots, i generally shoot at about 20s.

    maybe you could adjust your white balance to cloudy? i shoot cloudy to get the slight orangey feeling.

    i would also prefer if you zoomed in towards the merging of the traffic and not take the hotel at all. then the flyer would look much more outstanding, especially when you shoot at long shutter speeds.
    yeah, i tried zooming in towards the merging of the traffic and flyer. but the traffic could not be seen. if i zoomed any out, there would be distractions on both left and right. thanks alot.

    Quote Originally Posted by feetless View Post
    hi, just to share. if u r usind USM... i read on some books theres some settings for cityscapes u can try applying.
    Amount 65%, Radius 3, Threshold 2
    if this doesnt work then i guess u hv to experiment urself.
    hope this help

    okokok, gon' try it sometime. thanks alot.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •