Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 69 of 69

Thread: Train commuters who cheat

  1. #61

    Default Re: Train commuters who cheat

    Quote Originally Posted by thengz View Post
    Wah damn! Means if i take a leisurely ride from Jurong East to City Hall using the North-South Line instead of the usual East-West Line, does that mean I'm cheating also! Cause I take longer journey and more time also wat!

    Not only am I a cheater, I would be a retard too!
    Can imagine once the circle line is up, there will be more cases of "cheating"

  2. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    1.45N 103.83E
    Posts
    3,202

    Default Re: Train commuters who cheat

    Quote Originally Posted by thengz View Post
    Wah damn! Means if i take a leisurely ride from Jurong East to City Hall using the North-South Line instead of the usual East-West Line, does that mean I'm cheating also! Cause I take longer journey and more time also wat!

    Not only am I a cheater, I would be a retard too!

    If I understand the fare correctly, it only mention one fare, from station A to station B. It did not mention anything about if you travel from station A to B via the shortest way or the furtherest route. So technically, you can travel from from city hall to Jurong west via the NS route, change to the EW route to reach Rafles place or you can just travel from city hall to rafles place. whichever route you choose, you are still technically "not cheating" because the SMRT did not in the 1st place says you have to take the shortest route. correct me if I'm wrong as I seldom take MRT nowadays.

  3. #63

    Default Re: Train commuters who cheat

    smrt is following the OSPF standard :

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Shortest_Path_First
    Objection !!!

  4. #64
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Train commuters who cheat

    ??????

    Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    smrt is following the OSPF standard :

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Shortest_Path_First

  5. #65

    Default Re: Train commuters who cheat

    Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    If I understand the fare correctly, it only mention one fare, from station A to station B. It did not mention anything about if you travel from station A to B via the shortest way or the furtherest route. So technically, you can travel from from city hall to Jurong west via the NS route, change to the EW route to reach Rafles place or you can just travel from city hall to rafles place. whichever route you choose, you are still technically "not cheating" because the SMRT did not in the 1st place says you have to take the shortest route. correct me if I'm wrong as I seldom take MRT nowadays.
    Shortest route... And, I.....was.....jjjjjjooooookkkkkiiiiinnnnnggggg.... ...

    Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    smrt is following the OSPF standard :

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Shortest_Path_First
    ?!?!?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    ??????
    !!!!!!!!!

    Someone has been reading TOO MUCH wikipedia and doing too much Google-ing!

  6. #66

    Default Re: Train commuters who cheat

    Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    If I understand the fare correctly, it only mention one fare, from station A to station B. It did not mention anything about if you travel from station A to B via the shortest way or the furtherest route.
    In the absence of a 'routing guide' you can assume it's via 'shortest path' between your intended stations. This is the normal way such systems work out their fares and routes.

    Back tracking one or two stations is no longer the shortest path.

    However commuters all over the world have been known to do this 'trick' of heading in the wrong direction one or two stops to get ahead of the crowd and get a seat.

    Even if it's explicitly not allowed, it would be a brave railway staffer who tried to stop the practice and the newspapers would be full of negative publicity rather quickly.

    Another common practice internationally is to 'over shoot' your station and catch the train back - e.g get an express train that doesn't stop at your station but hop off at the next major station past yours and catch a 'local' back. Singapore doesn't have that occuring as MRT trains are always all stops.

    With the MRT routes getting longer they might have to consider transverse seating and enable a higher proportion of sitting passengers - the trains as they are now are designed for high peak loads and you can get more standees on a train than seated passengers, so they have 'optimised' to a predomiantly standing layout to get the high passenger to floor space ratios. If you start putting transverse seating instead of the current logditudinal arrangement, more passengers would get a seat, but each train would have a lower maxium carrying load - so longer waits to actually get onto a train in the peaks.

    So do you want a seat or trains so full they can't take on any more load at many of the city centre stations and you have to wait for 1 or 2 to go past before you can even squeeze on?

  7. #67

    Default Re: Train commuters who cheat

    Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    So do you want a seat or trains so full they can't take on any more load at many of the city centre stations and you have to wait for 1 or 2 to go past before you can even squeeze on?
    very good point.
    with longer waiting time, people will again complain so the frequency will increase.
    The consquence of lower capacity and increase frequency will eventually lead to ..... INCREASE FARE.

    I see a possibility that in future, the number of seats in MRT is going to decrease to squeeze in more people. That has happen to some of the new buses on the road. With the recent implementation of allowing folded bicycle in the bus and MRT, it may be a good reason to create more space in the MRT by reducing number of seats.

  8. #68

    Default Re: Train commuters who cheat

    haha im surprised this thread is still alive...

    these kind of complaints in the forum column, should see them as "distractions"... no prizes for really finding out the real reasons behind publishing really silly complaints in the papers. This seat cheating one is as bad as the other "Stop hell notes burning, do internet/bank transfers instead". A really laugh.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

  9. #69

    Default Re: Train commuters who cheat

    Has anyone been to a Japanese rush hour train? i lived there for 2 years and i'm a heck of a glad i can even stand here without someone's elbow in my face the entire 30mins ride. Sure this is Singapore not Japan.. but its just a point i'm trying to get across... there are more important things like some have mentioned.

    Just for fun's sake.. in a japanese rush hour train.. you can actually lift up your legs and your body won't fall down cos it is squeezed between so many people... its unbelieveable but true.. i've tried it myself... warranting stares from people supporting me.. kinda funny..haaha..

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •