Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 69

Thread: Train commuters who cheat

  1. #21

    Default Re: Train commuters who cheat

    Quote Originally Posted by Baracus View Post
    These are the ones who board the train at the station before the last one on the route. They do not alight at the last station, but remain in the trains and continue their journey when the train starts again.

    I have observed that this occurs in two stations - Tampines and Raffles Place. Those who board the train at Tampines remain in their seats at Pasir Ris and continue their journey towards Boon Lay. Similarly, those who board at Raffles Place do not alight at Marina Bay, but continue their journey in the same train towards Jurong East.

    As this happens during peak hours, those who are waiting for the trains at Pasir Ris to proceed towards Boon Lay and those at Raffles Place waiting to proceed towards Jurong East are put to hardship. The trains are almost fully occupied and they have to wait for the next train to get a seat - provided that the train too is also not filled up by these free-riders. Secondly, these people are not only enjoying a free ride at the expense of those who are paying the full fare, but they are also preventing the fare-paying passengers from having a comfortable journey. Perhaps, SMRT could make announcements requesting passengers not to indulge in such acts.

    that's not cheating, that's smart. I do that also, i board from bedok, alight at tampinese, go opposite and board the train.

    i do that because i stay at the fast west...cannot stand too long, wait pain pain....
    Last edited by ninelives; 29th May 2008 at 11:03 PM.
    Objection !!!

  2. #22

    Default Re: Train commuters who cheat

    this is also online? what the....

    http://comment.straitstimes.com/showthread.php?t=11531
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Train commuters who cheat

    such views must b from a calculative extremist! if many things in life oso 1 2 culculate who gets how much more advantage in every aspect in life to e last drop i !

  4. #24

    Default Re: Train commuters who cheat

    the person who 'observe' this 'cheating' is very free
    almost same as those who are 'cheating' the mrt fare

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    floating in space.
    Posts
    795

    Default Re: Train commuters who cheat

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    this incidentally, is something that london has over singapore, i admit
    Yes, sadly.

    Perhaps they need to start a "Move to the left" Campaign here in Singapore.
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

  6. #26
    Member gymak90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Far North
    Posts
    1,448

    Default Re: Train commuters who cheat

    I agree that person is extremely calculative. To me, it is not cheating and it's just some people who are smart enough to be proactive and get a seat for themselves.
    Maybe the person is just sore about not being able to get a seat and feels that no one cares for him/her when he/she was feeling tired. I bet there are many others in the train that feels equally tired.

    The 'Stay to the Left' campaign has started long long ago but it has worked to some success la. In London, I think it's "stay to the right." Correct me if I'm wrong. The English used to believe they have taught manners to the world, but nowadays, not so true anymore?
    Some folks in Singapore couldn't follow the act and stood on the right, when there was an obvious line of commuters on the left of the escalator in front of them.

    I think the worse thing is not giving way to commuters exiting the train. SMRT has painstakingly painted the yellow lines and arrows to indicate where should people stand to wait to board trains. Some are unfortunately won't pay attention to it. I'm sure they are not blind right?

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Train commuters who cheat

    Quote Originally Posted by entropy_h View Post
    Yes, sadly.

    Perhaps they need to start a "Move to the left" Campaign here in Singapore.
    It is sort of in action. The signs are just not blatantly obvious and glaring enough I guess. Should have one to slap the zhor dang people who stay on the right side of the escalator and don't move. I missed a train because of such people before...

  8. #28

    Default Re: Train commuters who cheat

    nah...this is not considered cheating. i wonder if that chap ever fall asleep and miss his stop before. and did he walk out the gates then tap his card and come in again or did he just cross the platform and take the train back the way he came?

  9. #29

    Default Re: Train commuters who cheat

    Quote Originally Posted by peapilot View Post

    Thus if you take the train in the opposite direction from Tampines to Pasir Ris, then back through to Tampines and to City hall, you are in actual fact taking two extra stops, one more than the guy who has paid more for one more stop than you. You have therefore "cheated" on two stations!
    oh come on, people have taken the time to sit in the train for two extra stops also. time is money leh.

    if you think about it, consider the weight of the mrt train. consider the fuel consumed by the additional load of one extra passenger, like you say it is negligible. if we want to measure like that, sooner or later will have some coconut put on stomp that the train company cheating him of money, the train stop 1 cm short of its correct stopping position.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Train commuters who cheat

    Lol yeah that's true. Anyway I'm guilty of doing that too when trains get too crowded at city hall, I'd take it to marina bay and back. :P
    Canon EOS 66 | Kit Lens | Leung Sheung Wing Chun Singapore

  11. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Far East
    Posts
    1,466

    Default Re: Train commuters who cheat

    Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    That's where I lifted it from.

    I'm surprised the editors published the letter/e-mail. This sort of petty complaint is usually reserved for STOMP.

  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    floating in space.
    Posts
    795

    Default Re: Train commuters who cheat

    Quote Originally Posted by Baracus View Post
    That's where I lifted it from.

    I'm surprised the editors published the letter/e-mail. This sort of petty complaint is usually reserved for STOMP.
    I would say about 75% of the letters published in the hard-copy version of the ST are sent in by petty, stupid, whiny people. I think the ST is a piece of crap newspaper to begin with anyway.

    As much as I would like to think that the ST editors are having a good laugh at these people who send in these stupid letters, and publishing these letters so that we can have a good laugh at them, I don't think the paper is intelligent enough to do that.

    It's just a bad newspaper, period.
    Last edited by entropy_h; 30th May 2008 at 10:00 AM.
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

  13. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    floating in space.
    Posts
    795

    Default Re: Train commuters who cheat

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    It is sort of in action. The signs are just not blatantly obvious and glaring enough I guess. Should have one to slap the zhor dang people who stay on the right side of the escalator and don't move. I missed a train because of such people before...
    Man, i wouldn't even call that "sort of in action". The signs are so small I have to use a 100X magnification microscope to see those signs.

    They should just blast it over the PA system: "Don't be rude and move to the left of the escalator" in all 4 main languages.
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

  14. #34

    Default Re: Train commuters who cheat

    Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    Maybe SMRT should have carriages for seating and non seating. Seating pay more , standing pay less. one way to work is to install card reader on every seats, the longer you seat the more they deduct from your ex-link card, no card, got buzzer/becon light to irritate you and an instant camera to take photo of cheaters.
    if you think you are so smart, go invent such train.

    It isn't called MASS RAPID TRANSIT for no reason. So assume that everyone will be standing when boarding the train. If you get a chance to sit, take it as a bonus.

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Train commuters who cheat

    Quote Originally Posted by amateur_photographer View Post
    if you think you are so smart, go invent such train.

    It isn't called MASS RAPID TRANSIT for no reason. So assume that everyone will be standing when boarding the train. If you get a chance to sit, take it as a bonus.
    Which of the words

    Mass

    Rapid

    Transit

    equate to "everyone should be standing"?

  16. #36

    Default Re: Train commuters who cheat

    Actually if I am not wrong, the gantry does calculate the time you are supposed to take from one station to another. Say example Newton to Dover supposed to take you average 20 minutes give and take. If you exit at Dover and clock up more time than the allocated time, you will get charged for it. It is based on the calculations on how many stations you could have passed in that time.

    Hence even if you go to terminal and then come back... you are still paying extra.... no free ride...

  17. #37

    Default Re: Train commuters who cheat

    Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    Actually if I am not wrong, the gantry does calculate the time you are supposed to take from one station to another. Say example Newton to Dover supposed to take you average 20 minutes give and take. If you exit at Dover and clock up more time than the allocated time, you will get charged for it. It is based on the calculations on how many stations you could have passed in that time.

    Hence even if you go to terminal and then come back... you are still paying extra.... no free ride...
    Yes you are right.... if travel more than estimated time + some allowance, you will get xtra charge.... Haha the train operator won't be so stupid to let this thing out of their calculation...


    Perhaps that guy is staying in Pasir Ris so he think he got the first priority to get the seat hehe... If i m the train operator, i will tell him to do the same to travel to tampines cross to the other platform take back to Pasir Ris then he will get a seat...

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,922

    Default Re: Train commuters who cheat

    My suggestion to SMRT is to do nothing and stay like how they use to. I am more concern about train downtime, punctuality and safety.

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Train commuters who cheat

    Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post
    My suggestion to SMRT is to do nothing and stay like how they use to. I am more concern about train downtime, punctuality and safety.
    yah, they do something & they'll ask for price increase. who's bright idea was it to have screens installed?! can do without it.

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    1.45N 103.83E
    Posts
    3,202

    Default Re: Train commuters who cheat

    Quote Originally Posted by amateur_photographer View Post
    if you think you are so smart, go invent such train.

    It isn't called MASS RAPID TRANSIT for no reason. So assume that everyone will be standing when boarding the train. If you get a chance to sit, take it as a bonus.
    Er... den why put seats on the train in the 1st place? without seats, TS will have no ground to complain liao.

    I can do that but would you or SMRT buy it? I had designed more complex machines/equipments than this. If you just think out of the box there are lots of things you can do. Imagine what the world would be if film had not been invented? we would all be still holding a drawing board instead of a DSLR.

    I was putting out the idea since TS is so concerned about getting a seat on the train. If TS were to get a seat, would he had complained about how many stops you had "cheated"?

    Main problem = no seat
    cause (according to TS) = ppl taking the seat from the reverse direction.

    my solution = make seat avaliable. its only fair for sitting passengers to pay more than standing passangers

    alternative solution = SMRT to force everyone out of the train at the end of the station but its quite impossible for Jurong East station.

    (You here does not refer to an individual, it refer to everyone reading.)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •