Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41

Thread: Advice for piano purchase please...

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    in the North-east of Singapore
    Posts
    3

    Cool Re: Advice for piano purchase please...

    Hi roygoh

    Just wondering, have you bought your piano? I am also in a similar position as you were in May (time of posting)... and i am also looking at K3.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Advice for piano purchase please...

    I just bought a piano for myself (ok ok, its half a year ago ). Always wanted to learn since young, but family was too poor.

    So i need a piano teacher urgently. Where can I look for one, and how much am I expected to pay? I am into classical piano.

    Sorry for the OT.

  3. #23

    Default Re: Advice for piano purchase please...

    Quote Originally Posted by roygoh View Post
    Thanks.
    Kids today tend to lose interest fairly easily, so you might wanna consider that. Both my nephews gave up after a couple of lessons, and the piano became a useless piece of elephant occupying precious apartment space (which is unlike a DSLR).

    While the touch and acoustics of digital piano is definitely different, it spares you the heartache of a white elephant that takes up lots of space.

    Likewise if you get an entry level piano. On the other side of the coin, if your child steadily gains interest and competence over the years, it's a bigger hassle to 'upgrade' as compared to a DSLR.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Advice for piano purchase please...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kusum Kangguru View Post
    I just bought a piano for myself (ok ok, its half a year ago ). Always wanted to learn since young, but family was too poor.

    So i need a piano teacher urgently. Where can I look for one, and how much am I expected to pay? I am into classical piano.

    Sorry for the OT.
    yamaha ?

    1)club keyboard
    individual lesson
    10 * 30mins (OTOT, flexible timing)
    $160.50]

    2)Pop Piano
    $70+ a month
    1 week 4 times
    10 in a group
    1 hour / lesson

    3)Classical Piano
    similar to (2) but got grading

    1 & 2 no grading

  5. #25
    Cupidangels
    Guests

    Default Re: Advice for piano purchase please...

    Quote Originally Posted by shinken View Post
    Kids today tend to lose interest fairly easily, so you might wanna consider that. Both my nephews gave up after a couple of lessons, and the piano became a useless piece of elephant occupying precious apartment space (which is unlike a DSLR).

    While the touch and acoustics of digital piano is definitely different, it spares you the heartache of a white elephant that takes up lots of space.

    Likewise if you get an entry level piano. On the other side of the coin, if your child steadily gains interest and competence over the years, it's a bigger hassle to 'upgrade' as compared to a DSLR.
    Yup i can't agree with u more......... My daughter was sooooooooooo into it at first but after a few lessons, she knows how much hard work and time she has to spend on it, she just loses interest....... then it got worse when she get into Primary 1, just doesn't have the time to play at all.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    5,011

    Default Re: Advice for piano purchase please...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarador View Post
    Hi roygoh

    Just wondering, have you bought your piano? I am also in a similar position as you were in May (time of posting)... and i am also looking at K3.
    Hi,

    Sorry I missed your question.

    Yes, I bought the K3 a month ago. So far so good. I even bought a set of tuning tools to do touch ups before I get the real pro to do a complete tuning. Working well so far.

    Since this is my first close encounter with a piano I really can't comment on it much, especially on intricacies like sound and touch.

    It's a tough decision. Al the concerns about this being a white elephant later are valid. My son would ask for a buzz lightyear toy for weeks and when he finally got it he lost interest in it after a few days.

    But the key is in the teacher, and parents' support.

    Take for example swimming. I have been taking my son to the swimming pool and tried to teach him how to swim for 3 years. Never managed to get him to go into the pool without floatation, and never could even get him to put his face in the water. Finaly, last Dec my wife and I decided to enrol him for private swim lessons. In the first lesson, the teacher got him to put his face in the water within 3 minutes! He has been attending swim lessons weekly ever since and still loooks forward to that every week. If he can show the same persistence for his piano lessons then i think he will be OK...at least enough to get him some basics.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Advice for piano purchase please...

    thats why i never bothered to teach my son the guitar!

    just a few lessons with a yamaha teacher and he's off playing things he never wanted to learn from me... (then again maybe i'm a lousy teacher)...

    good to hear that you got your piano.

    we just started formal lessons at a school for our 5-yr old girl...
    she practices on my Korg X2 synthesizer... no weighted keys. its about 15 years old already but still sounds the same since day one.

    as a musician, i quit piano when i was in grade two.

    the acoustic pianos garner no inspiration for me.

    years later when i played clavinovas and rolands, i found that i wanted to play even more than i ever did. i enjoyed playing on digital pianos very much and my musicianship improved quite a fair bit.

    but to be fair... when i had a chance to touch a steinway... i was blown away (no pun intended)... i could just sit there for hours and touch a note/key at a time... terribly mesmerising...

    alas... all that is past...

    the kids get to 'ave a go at it now...!

    depends on personality lah... if he is highly-detailed (accountant/programmer) he will do well in classical piano...

  8. #28

    Default Re: Advice for piano purchase please...

    Quote Originally Posted by mckenzy View Post
    thats why i never bothered to teach my son the guitar!

    just a few lessons with a yamaha teacher and he's off playing things he never wanted to learn from me... (then again maybe i'm a lousy teacher)...

    good to hear that you got your piano.

    we just started formal lessons at a school for our 5-yr old girl...
    she practices on my Korg X2 synthesizer... no weighted keys. its about 15 years old already but still sounds the same since day one.

    as a musician, i quit piano when i was in grade two.

    the acoustic pianos garner no inspiration for me.

    years later when i played clavinovas and rolands, i found that i wanted to play even more than i ever did. i enjoyed playing on digital pianos very much and my musicianship improved quite a fair bit.

    but to be fair... when i had a chance to touch a steinway... i was blown away (no pun intended)... i could just sit there for hours and touch a note/key at a time... terribly mesmerising...

    alas... all that is past...

    the kids get to 'ave a go at it now...!

    depends on personality lah... if he is highly-detailed (accountant/programmer) he will do well in classical piano...
    Wah, really envy you. You managed to touch a steinway. Heard of the steinway's legendary touch but not sure how is it as compared to other brands like bechstein, bluthner or bosendorfer.

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    in the North-east of Singapore
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Advice for piano purchase please...

    Hi roygoh (and all),

    Thanks for the replies.

    I too have recently got a K3. The feeling is different, playing on a keyboard and a piano.

    You will have 3 other FOC tunings right? And the piano has been tuned before they delivered to your home ya?

    Thanks for sharing your son's swimming experience.

    MY girl has been asking for swimming lessons too. I am waiting for the younger one to be a little little bit older so that we can start both gals together.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Advice for piano purchase please...

    Me and my wife was thinking abt selling the piano which no one use. too heavy too transport, it's a kawai.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

  11. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    487

    Default Re: Advice for piano purchase please...

    I played on a Steinway & Sons for a couple of years as a young adult. Incredible and very distinctive tone and timbre to each note. In fact, as an ardent classical music listener then too, I could easily tell whether the piano used in a recording was a Steinway & Sons just through listening.

    Too bad this S&S wasn't my personal one though; I learnt and played on a piano of a European make for around 12 years. My current one is a Yamaha.

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    5,011

    Default Re: Advice for piano purchase please...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarador View Post
    Hi roygoh (and all),

    Thanks for the replies.

    I too have recently got a K3. The feeling is different, playing on a keyboard and a piano.

    You will have 3 other FOC tunings right? And the piano has been tuned before they delivered to your home ya?

    Thanks for sharing your son's swimming experience.

    MY girl has been asking for swimming lessons too. I am waiting for the younger one to be a little little bit older so that we can start both gals together.
    Well I get only 1 free tuning.

    When the piano just arrived every note was in tune. They tuned it at the factory before shipping. After some casual playing for 2 to 3 weeks I started noticing a few notes (less than 10) getting slighly out of tune. I thought it was a waste to call for professional tuning, so I bought the tool set to touch up those notes myself.

    I think I will give it another month or so before caling the professional tuner.

    Another big motivation for my son to stay interested in swimming is that some of his friends can already swim.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

  13. #33
    ncole77
    Guests

    Default Re: Advice for piano purchase please...

    All,

    Just read the below thread and the one from Piano world. Suprisingly enough am also in the market for a new used piano for a surprise birthday present for my wife (who is at an intermediate level). Through all the threads and through general chats with the people in the piano shops have come to the conclusion that a Yamaha U1 would be ideal (although still open to suggestions). After calling around a number of shops and warehouses in Singapore have found the price to vary from 2.5k to 3.7k. Have been told the reasons for this include:
    - where the internal parts are from (and whether they have a guarantee)
    - Certificate of service
    - Certificate of origin and assembly

    Although the above may sound like I have some idea as to what I am talking about I absolutely do NOT and would appreciate your advice as to whether this would be a good piano (bearing in mind we may only be in Singapore for another 2 years) and what I should look for when I go and look at the pianos.

    Finally, if and when I do buy a piano how does the local humidity affect it and how can any damage be limited. Currently live in a condo on the east coast so generally don't have the airconditioning on.

    Many thanks for your help

    Nathan

  14. #34

    Default Re: Advice for piano purchase please...

    Hi Nathan, thats an expensive present!

    I am also in the midst of getting a piano for my 5-year old daughter who just picked up formal lessons... we're gonna go for Yamaha Clavinovas.

    The things going for it versus getting an acoustic is based on our requirements and my experience with uprights.

    1. Budget - will always be the main determining factor (this one only you can decide)
    2. Inspiration to play - the quality of sound determines the level of interest in playing/practicing. Putting it simply, the Clavi has more than one(!)
    3. Quality - Yamahas are known to be consistent
    4. Size - An upright has what.. 121 - 123 keys? i forget... The Clavi i'm getting has 88... most musicians do not use more than that...
    5. After sales - Yamaha technicians are employed and trained by Yamaha... not outsourced.

    I play for fun... i like the fact that the model i'm getting has weighted keys (simulating an acoustic). It has an ivory finish (the keys), the weight value of the keys come in 3 modes - soft medium and hard.

    All in all - a winner for me... the damage ranges from S$900 to about 20k for the mini -grands, which i personally don't see a market for them...

    ..

  15. #35
    ncole77
    Guests

    Default Re: Advice for piano purchase please...

    Very true, however, it is something that she has always wanted (and I'm also partial to having a acoustic piano in the house). But knowing next to nothing about piano's also need some help to determine what I should be looking for.

    Also have a 3 month old baby so my wife will have plenty of time to use it.

    Thus any tips that you can give on what to look for in buying a piano would be appreciative.

    Thanks

    Nathan

  16. #36

    Default Re: Advice for piano purchase please...

    In that case, the U1 should do fine.

    I still play an old 30+ year-old Yamaha upright acoustic at my mum's place. Although the dehumidifier disintegrated about 20 years back (we never bothered to get it replaced), the keys still do not stick together like some other brands.

    The keys have yellowed just a little, the piano is still very well tuned even though a piano tuner hasn't visit us in just as long a period.

    But then again, i'm talking about QC from 30 years ago... whether or not Yamaha retains that standard of excellence for QC in modern times i cannot say...

    Singapore IS a very humid place... get the U1, make sure the dehumidifier works well, better still if still under warranty... should also still be easily sold off if you have to leave the country...

  17. #37
    ncole77
    Guests

    Default Re: Advice for piano purchase please...

    Many thanks for the advice. Will have some fun shopping on the weekend

  18. #38
    ncole77
    Guests

    Default Re: Advice for piano purchase please...

    Apologies thought of a couple more questions. In regard to the actual purchase.

    what should I look for when comparing one Yamaha U1 piano with another. Either in the same store or in another store. Obviously by ear but I thought if you tuned the piano then all (realise what I am about to type is extremely naive of me) would sound the same.

    Also having done some more research, I had previously assumed that the U1 piano was a set age. As such is there any years to avoid.

    Also if there is anything else that I have missed or should think about please let me know

    thanks

    Nathan

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    5,782

    Default Re: Advice for piano purchase please...

    Hey TS. I'm 16 this year, and I haven't touched my piano (for more than 15min 'testing') for a good 5 years.

    I think for pianos for children, the best is to get "just enough". If the passion continues, you can choose to sell it away and purchase a better one. My dad spent like.. 7k on my upright piano when I was P4 or P5 (10-11 years old), and I stopped classes cos of PSLE prep at the end of P5. It really hasn't been touched for long.. now the tuning's out. I moved house about 2 years ago, and my dad had to pay special piano-movers.. it's really become a white elephant (black color one >.>).

    Thinking about it.. If my dad didn't spend 7k then.. maybe I could afford the 5D2 or 1d3 by now.. =(
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

  20. #40
    Member terryansimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Quahog, Rhode Island
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Advice for piano purchase please...

    what about getting electronic keyboards with piano keys / weighted keys? they tend to be a whole lot cheaper than upright pianos, and they also have inbuilt learning features that aid the learning process.

    if the passion is still there once a certain level of ability is reached, then you may consider getting a more expensive piano.

    and yes, while the tone/feel will be different from an upright piano, it also saves you the hassle of having to know that you may have paid for a very expensive investment should your passion for it wanes/etc.
    chicken fight!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •