Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Air conditioner remote control symbols...WTH?!?!

  1. #1

    Default Air conditioner remote control symbols...WTH?!?!

    hi! I have an air conditioning unit with a remote control with symbols I do not understand at all. this looks like quite a common remote so I thought I'll ask here since I can't find a manual online.There are 4 symbols for one of the control


    one looks like a triangular recycle symbol, one looks like a snowflake smbol, one looks like a water droplet symbol and one looks like a sun symbol

    anybody knows what these mean?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Air conditioner remote control symbols...WTH?!?!

    the snowflake is for the typical ac function. the sun shld be for the heater. the water droplet is dehumidifying and the recycle symbol shld be for auto temp control.
    Last edited by flipfreak; 28th May 2008 at 05:08 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,231

    Default Re: Air conditioner remote control symbols...WTH?!?!

    Water droplet symbol is for the dehumidifier/humidifier function, I can't remember...
    Last edited by Canew; 28th May 2008 at 05:57 PM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Air conditioner remote control symbols...WTH?!?!

    wow thanks!
    sun is for heater? I didn't know that air cons did that..

  5. #5
    Senior Member phoakm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    7,285

    Default Re: Air conditioner remote control symbols...WTH?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    wow thanks!
    sun is for heater? I didn't know that air cons did that..
    In some countries with seasons the aircon can cool and heat the surroundings.
    But in Singapore.
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

  6. #6

    Default Re: Air conditioner remote control symbols...WTH?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    wow thanks!
    sun is for heater? I didn't know that air cons did that..
    its kinda for all the different countries so i am not really surprised esp when we only use 1 function. the snowflake.

    i found out the sun one when some idiot in the office mess around with the remote and all of us were sweating like pigs.

  7. #7
    Senior Member jOhO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,487

    Default Re: Air conditioner remote control symbols...WTH?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    its kinda for all the different countries so i am not really surprised esp when we only use 1 function. the snowflake.

    i found out the sun one when some idiot in the office mess around with the remote and all of us were sweating like pigs.
    hahahahahah.. sorree i find that extremely hilarious. i can imagine if it happened to me i would have gone all ape sh!t...

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    floating in space.
    Posts
    797

    Default Re: Air conditioner remote control symbols...WTH?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    hi! I have an air conditioning unit with a remote control with symbols I do not understand at all. this looks like quite a common remote so I thought I'll ask here since I can't find a manual online.There are 4 symbols for one of the control


    one looks like a triangular recycle symbol, one looks like a snowflake smbol, one looks like a water droplet symbol and one looks like a sun symbol

    anybody knows what these mean?
    This has long been a pet peeve of mine. Why the f can't they just put straightforward symbols, or small words? Obviously the symbols aren't working for most people.
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

  9. #9

    Default Re: Air conditioner remote control symbols...WTH?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by jOhO View Post
    hahahahahah.. sorree i find that extremely hilarious. i can imagine if it happened to me i would have gone all ape sh!t...
    what to do? some people like to fiddle and keep quiet when things screw up. got 1 time someone set the temp to 30 deg. wtf sia.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Jurong Lake District - West
    Posts
    898

    Default Re: Air conditioner remote control symbols...WTH?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by entropy_h View Post
    This has long been a pet peeve of mine. Why the f can't they just put straightforward symbols, or small words? Obviously the symbols aren't working for most people.
    words ? i guess symbols are "universal" .....

    esp if it means the same in China and India...

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    floating in space.
    Posts
    797

    Default Re: Air conditioner remote control symbols...WTH?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by ernest_ted View Post
    words ? i guess symbols are "universal" .....

    esp if it means the same in China and India...
    Yeah but if the symbols don't make any sense??? They are not even understandable by people of the same country, so let's not even say it's "universal".

    And products are always tailored for different countries. How hard is it to make a remote with different words for different countries?
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

  12. #12

    Default Re: Air conditioner remote control symbols...WTH?!?!

    That's why they print manuals in different languages
    Canon EOS 66 | Kit Lens | Leung Sheung Wing Chun Singapore

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Singapore/Manila
    Posts
    71

    Default Re: Air conditioner remote control symbols...WTH?!?!

    Symbols, like colors, may mean different things in different territories.

    A stop (open palm) hand sign in the US may mean what it is, but do that in Greece and you may end up with some scolding from the locals.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    floating in space.
    Posts
    797

    Default Re: Air conditioner remote control symbols...WTH?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by peapilot View Post
    That's why they print manuals in different languages
    Find me more than 10 people who have their air-con manuals.
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

  15. #15

    Default Re: Air conditioner remote control symbols...WTH?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by entropy_h View Post
    Find me more than 10 people who have their air-con manuals.
    I have an aircon manual....

  16. #16
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,063
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Air conditioner remote control symbols...WTH?!?!

    I have an aircon manual....


    btw the symbols are universal

    snowflake means cold
    sun means hot

    just like the symbols on the cd player, dvd player, hdd recorder ... ...

    right facing triangle means play
    square means stop
    2 rectangles means pause

    you need to know it to understand

  17. #17

    Default Re: Air conditioner remote control symbols...WTH?!?!

    http://www.usersmanualguide.com/

    Now everyone can own one.
    Canon EOS 66 | Kit Lens | Leung Sheung Wing Chun Singapore

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •