Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456914 ... LastLast

Thread: Comments directed to models, why not.

Default Re: Comments directed to models, why not.

Quote Originally Posted by xiaotinggg View Post
    well, i didnt expect some of the photos to trigger off a netive comment, and a fierce dispute after which turns into an disscussion which everyone is activly participating.
    Firstly, i thik since i has neevr objected to canoised in posting up my photos in Cs for comments and such, i am in a very willing position, of course to accept any comment, despite positive or negative
    and being known to me, yamapi is infamous for his lack sensitiviy and the knack of speaking his feelings ( with or without thinking )
    maybe it feels like an embarrassing truth to me, but when i look at the photos, sure and behold i dont look like 17 years old, isn't it?
    and i think he commented that in the first place because he knows my age, and hence, result in the "aunty" impression.
    As most of the model here have an account, i think its still alright to comment on the model's post/ makeup so they cn furthur improve
    UNLESS the photographer disallow it, which he has the responsiblity to clarify in the first place .
    Hi Xiaoting:

I am just curious..
    Do you think "Aunty" is a fair statement being made to the image?
    I mean strictly to the image only, I know you are sweet and lovely in real person.

With Regards
    SKY

allow me to quote from another post from the original thread,

I'm not sure why... but somehow I feel that the Xiaoting in this series don't look as bubbly as I saw her months ago. Perhaps it's the request of the photographer... or that she's probably burdened down by her studies.

But I would seriously prefer this photo if the baby hair of her fringe on her forehead isn't there. It's a little distracting.

But well, Xiaoting definitely isn't auntie looking....! This is something which I believe most who had seen her would agree upon.

now, the 'poster' to me agrees with yamapi's comment by saying that most who have seen her would agree that she is not auntie looking.
    why didn't anyone tell him off as he is not commenting on the photograph?

the whole affair seems to be blown out of proportion.

can't say i don't feel for yamapi.
    he is not even in the class of our political juvenile
    Last edited by bengchiat; 30th May 2008 at 12:37 AM. Reason: syntax error

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    We have grinded the auntie aspects of this topic to ad nauseam. However, the bigger picture is, why are so many of us, feel that we should not comment on the model, particularily regarding her looks, and especially if the comment is negative.

Are we, photographers here on this island, clinging onto a fantasy and do not like to see others busting the bubble?
    but what is this fantasy?

frankly, why have you not replied to the points i have given you in return? this is absolutely disappointing, i was hoping that you would come up with something and we could have some proper exchange of ideas.

all you have done is just thrown up a thread where you claim that you post it up in response to my post, i clarify, and now you leave it hanging. i find this extremely rude.

i don't know about everyone else here, frankly comments on any subject in the picture is nonsensical. you would not say stuff like "wa that tree is very old" or "hey, that bird is really ugly". neither would you really bother to pass comments on the looks of a man, a woman, a dog, a pigeon in a shot taken in the street. so why would you do it for a model's photo?
    Last edited by night86mare; 30th May 2008 at 12:48 AM.

with the model in question saying this,
    can the Mod reinstate yamapi?

don't usually like to know XMM,
    but in ur case,
    how i wished i have the honour of getting to know u.
    u displayed maturity n grace beyond ur age.
    its a compliment BTW

Quote Originally Posted by xiaotinggg View Post
    well, i didnt expect some of the photos to trigger off a netive comment, and a fierce dispute after which turns into an disscussion which everyone is activly participating.

Firstly, i thik since i has neevr objected to canoised in posting up my photos in Cs for comments and such, i am in a very willing position, of course to accept any comment, despite positive or negative

and being known to me, yamapi is infamous for his lack sensitiviy and the knack of speaking his feelings ( with or without thinking )
    maybe it feels like an embarrassing truth to me, but when i look at the photos, sure and behold i dont look like 17 years old, isn't it?
    and i think he commented that in the first place because he knows my age, and hence, result in the "aunty" impression.

As most of the model here have an account, i think its still alright to comment on the model's post/ makeup so they cn furthur improve
    UNLESS the photographer disallow it, which he has the responsiblity to clarify in the first place .

Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    You wont get good critic for you to improve and you even get apauled for lousy photos, which make you making the same mistakes if you are not aware.
    to be honest, i have browsed through many photo sites, i have NEVER found one where there wasn't any sugar candy coated comments dished out in greater proportion than not.

it is my opinion, like i was saying to a friend the other day, that just the act of posting up, for some people, gives them the pressure and the mindset to do better. it is one thing to crow over your photos in private, and then post it up and let it be seen by anyone and everyone who has the ability to comment.

i think in general, to be fair, there is only two instances where a bad photo will get sugar candy coated comments:

a) buddies - that one really boh pian
    b) this bunch of people who think that it is their life to paint a heaven for everybody else, i shall not mention names but i think it is pretty much out there for all to see who these people are.

cheers.

Hey guys, the Ms Singapore peagent is going to be held soon at East point shopping mall.. ^^

Say, you walked up to a 6ft5, 250 pounds muscle man & tell him "hey, is that your gal friend on stage? oh dear, she sure looks like an ah lian.." and then you smile cheekily at him.

What do you think will happen?

You may wish to believe that the muscle man will hum to himself that "hmm.. since this is an open event and my gal friend is on stage, thus I shd openly accept any criticism in a very constructive and civilised manner.." and therefore he will behave calmly, and smile back at you with gratitude.. he shd behave like this and emotionally detached becos how her gal friend looks on stage doesnt equates to how she looks in real life and whatever whatever..

But there is also a high chance that he will just break your neck b4 you can blink and leave you paralysed in hospital bed.

You can have all your sweet time the rest of your life on the bed convincing yourself that you have did nothing wrong in that event and in a perfect world everyone else should respect your opinion and you truly think that what you say equal to the whole truth nothing but the truth and will help the gal improve her styling in future so on so forth..

But in real world the ultimate outcome could be that you simply got yourself paralysed with a broken neck and the muscle man ended up in jail.. how?

The moderator intervene for good reasons, to stop bad things from happening b4 it goes out of hand.

For such case it doesnt really matter who's theory is more right and who's theory is wrong.. most of the time they are just conflicting opinions going round and round..

Be tactful and respectful & 遵守游戏规则 ba, it's not so difficult cos we all did it in our real life.. just need to bring your real life behaviour on-line.. 大家开心一点..

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post

frankly, why have you not replied to the points i have given you in return? this is absolutely disappointing, i was hoping that you would come up with something and we could have some proper exchange of ideas.

all you have done is just thrown up a thread where you claim that you post it up in response to my post, i clarify, and now you leave it hanging. i find this extremely rude.

i don't know about everyone else here, frankly comments on any subject in the picture is nonsensical. you would not say stuff like "wa that tree is very old" or "hey, that bird is really ugly". neither would you really bother to pass comments on the looks of a man, a woman, a dog, a pigeon in a shot taken in the street. so why would you do it for a model's photo?
    Christ. Now I have to respond to every comments to my post immediately? For crying out loud, get a life.

Here is my respond.

What I was referring to, has to do with male's fantasy of the opposite sex. I will stop at that, I am not going to elaborate, because I do not want to pick a fight with hundreds of local males.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

What I was referring to, has to do with male's fantasy of the opposite sex. I will stop at that, I am not going to elaborate, because I do not want to pick a fight with hundreds of local males.
    i have mentioned this before; and frankly, i do think it is true, just look at the response to the presence of the opposite sex here.

no, you don't have to reply to every post made here, but i think since you specifically asked me to continue the discussion here, then at least a quick mention that you do not wish to reply would suffice. it is only courteous, though of course you have the right to choose not to be so. i mean, others have taken the time to consider your points and reply, at least don't leave them hanging.

Let's put it this way. Audiences were expecting XMM picture, but subject looks a little "overaged" to be a XMM and pointed that out - fair game.

You're shooting a "young sapling" and your shot is that of some old tree with peeling bark, in which case you might get a "wa that tree looks very old" comment.

I don't know about you, but to me, subject is everything in a picture, otherwise your picture wouldn't be about anything would it? What is a picture? A picture is supposed to be a likeness right? A likeness of what you say? The subject of course. Surely then we seem to have missed the point if we refrain ourselves from commenting on a model in a picture of a model isn't it? How is that different from say, eating the box of a box of chocolates?
    Last edited by peapilot; 30th May 2008 at 01:03 AM.
    Canon EOS 66 | Kit Lens | Leung Sheung Wing Chun Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Kongo View Post
    Say, you walked up to a 6ft5, 250 pounds muscle man & tell him "hey, is that your gal friend on stage? oh dear, she sure looks like an ah lian.." and then you smile cheekily at him.

i think the muscle man will grin at you

and say "hi darling, i'm glad you noticed, i've been waiting for someone like you to come along and whisk me away to never never land."

Quote Originally Posted by Kongo View Post
    Hey guys, the Ms Singapore peagent is going to be held soon at East point shopping mall.. ^^

You may wish to believe that the muscle man will hum to himself that "hmm.. since this is an open event and my gal friend is on stage, thus I shd openly accept any criticism in a very constructive and civilised manner.." and therefore he will behave calmly, and smile back at you with gratitude.. he shd behave like this and emotionally detached becos how her gal friend looks on stage doesnt equates to how she looks in real life and whatever whatever..

But there is also a high chance that he will just break your neck b4 you can blink and leave you paralysed in hospital bed.

You can have all your sweet time the rest of your life on the bed convincing yourself that you have did nothing wrong in that event and in a perfect world everyone else should respect your opinion and you truly think that what you say equal to the whole truth nothing but the truth and will help the gal improve her styling in future so on so forth..

But in real world the ultimate outcome could be that you simply got yourself paralysed with a broken neck and the muscle man ended up in jail.. how?

The moderator intervene for good reasons, to stop bad things from happening b4 it goes out of hand.

For such case it doesnt really matter who's theory is more right and who's theory is wrong.. most of the time they are just conflicting opinions going round and round..

Be tactful and respectful & 遵守游戏规则 ba, it's not so difficult cos we all did it in our real life.. just need to bring your real life behaviour on-line.. 大家开心一点..
    I just cannot stand these attempts to come up examples that do not apply. Common sense guys. How does commenting on a picture be compared to the example refer to above?

If you think, then you will see the fallacies.

Any attempt to censor comments and criticisms is a slippery slope that we should not even contemplate crossing. Yesterday was those rent-a-cop stopping us shooting at (please fill in the blank) ... today, we do not allow comments on the models, if the comment is negative, what next tomorrow?
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by peapilot View Post
    Let's put it this way. Audiences were expecting XMM picture, but subject looks a little "overaged" to be a XMM and pointed that out - fair game.

You're shooting a "young sapling" and your shot is that of some old tree with peeling bark, in which case you might get a "wa that tree looks very old" comment.

I don't know about you, but to me, subject is everything in a picture, otherwise your picture wouldn't be about anything would it? What is a picture? A picture is supposed to be a likeness right? A likeness of what you say? The subject of course. Surely then we seem to have missed the point if we refrain ourselves from commenting on a model in a picture of a model isn't it? How is that different from say, eating the box of a box of chocolates?
    so you mean, if canonised had put up a thread that was titled "xiaoting's pictures", the response from yamapi would be different?

oh come onnnnnnnnn.

if i actually posted a picture that said "young sapling" and it was an old tree with peeling bark, i think the response would not be "wa that tree looks very old", it would be "here's the number of a good shrink or optician i know".

I just cannot stand these attempts to come up examples that do not apply. Common sense guys. How does commenting on a picture be compared to the example refer to above?

If you think, then you will see the fallacies.

Any attempt to censor comments and criticisms is a slippery slope that we should not even contemplate crossing. Yesterday was those rent-a-cop stopping us shooting at (please fill in the blank) ... today, we do not allow comments on the models, if the comment is negative, what next tomorrow?
    so you happened to post up one of your model pictures, and i came in and said

"wa, this model looks very slutty", and i really feel that it is so, you would take it coolly?

and then if you take it coolly, the next time i will say "this model looks like a transvesite, are you sure she's female?"

and the next time, i will say "this model looks like a prostitute i saw in geylang the other day, are you sure she's not a prostitute?"

if the comment is negative, indeed, what next tomorrow?

i think you miss kongo's point - the point i think he is driving at is that what happens on the internet, can unfortunately spill over into real life. you don't know kids these days, i have heard of some bunch of ah bengs beating up another person because they found out that he was the person who had been insulting them online in one of those games.
    Last edited by night86mare; 30th May 2008 at 01:10 AM.

i have mentioned this before; and frankly, i do think it is true, just look at the response to the presence of the opposite sex here.

no, you don't have to reply to every post made here, but i think since you specifically asked me to continue the discussion here, then at least a quick mention that you do not wish to reply would suffice. it is only courteous, though of course you have the right to choose not to be so. i mean, others have taken the time to consider your points and reply, at least don't leave them hanging.
    can't expect anyone to lie waiting for a response and reply instantly?

And can't expect me to response if I don't have something to say, or at least, not yet !!
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

can't expect anyone to lie waiting for a response and reply instantly?

And can't expect me to response if I don't have something to say, or at least, not yet !!
    i very impatient marrrr.

so sowwy

so you happened to post up one of your model pictures, and i came in and said

"wa, this model looks very slutty", and i really feel that it is so, you would take it coolly?

and then if you take it coolly, the next time i will say "this model looks like a transvesite, are you sure she's female?"

and the next time, i will say "this model looks like a prostitute i saw in geylang the other day, are you sure she's not a prostitute?"

if the comment is negative, indeed, what next tomorrow?

i think you miss kongo's point - the point i think he is driving at is that what happens on the internet, can unfortunately spill over into real life. you don't know kids these days, i have heard of some bunch of ah bengs beating up another person because they found out that he was the person who had been insulting them online in one of those games.
    Sure, you can say that.

If I were planning to depict the model in a slutty pose, I will smile, I did it. If that is not what I intended, then, I will have to take a look at the picture, if your comments has merits, then I ponder, if not, I slam you back

Same applies to your "what next tomorrow".

I did not miss kongo's point. His examples and arguments do not make sense if you give it some thoughts.
    Last edited by Deadpoet; 30th May 2008 at 01:12 AM.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

If that is not what I intended, then, I will have to take a look at the picture, if your comments has merits, then I ponder, if not, I slam you back

Same applies to your "what next tomorrow".

I did not miss kongo's point. His examples and arguments do not make sense if you give it some thoughts.
    but do you also not acknowledge that not everybody might be as open-minded as you? i mean, we're talking about people here. not everybody is a Deadpoet.

well, perhaps i misunderstood his point. what of my misunderstanding then. do you think it is being a little overly paranoid that some people might actually take these online exchanges too seriously and take offense to the extent of migrating the "quarrel" to real life? i do think it is not impossible. so perhaps because of the possibility of such a thing happening, it is only natural to enforce a blanket cordoning off of such comments and making them taboo.

but do you also not acknowledge that not everybody might be as open-minded as you? i mean, we're talking about people here. not everybody is a Deadpoet.

well, perhaps i misunderstood his point. what of my misunderstanding then. do you think it is being a little overly paranoid that some people might actually take these online exchanges too seriously and take offense to the extent of migrating the "quarrel" to real life? i do think it is not impossible. so perhaps because of the possibility of such a thing happening, it is only natural to enforce a blanket cordoning off of such comments and making them taboo.
    i thot ur ques was directed at DP?
    why the about face n say not everyone is a Deadpoet?

as with any post online, if fear is so great that a person cannot live without being paranoid. then the person would not have posted anything, leaving so very little trace of him/herself le.

while it may be true some people will "hunt down" those who contridict their views. are there no laws against anti-social, violent perpetrators?

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    Friend, do not try to start a trolling bait here ....
    The TS has mentioned that in his first sentence and the discussion is of a general nature. Just move on ......
    Sorry Canonised, actually dun quite understand what you mean.

Really hope I dun offense anyone here. But I seriously have all these questions in my mind after going thru your thread, and really wish that you would share your view with us.

"Why do you seems unhappy (from you reply) when people start sharing negatively on how they feel about your picture?" Since we all know XMM is a pretty girl, so "Isn't the 'negative' feel is the effect you wanted to achieve?" "Then, if you state your intention of your work, would it have gone this far?"

Cheers!

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456914 ... LastLast