Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 27101112131417 ... LastLast

Thread: Comments directed to models, why not.

Default Re: Comments directed to models, why not.

Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    ........i think u must be mad to trust the fashion sense of most of the people here anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    But to say "no we cannot say this or that" is just detrimental to our photographic community in the long run.
    I believe that's know as 'CENSORSHIP'.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    I remember an example of a magazine print ad for a cigarette co once when I was shooting for mod agencies. The booker was gushing about how even the (Caucasian) male model, standing beside the 'female' (Thai) model had no idea, and was hitting on 'her' throughout the entire shoot. I saw the tear-sheet, and I swear, the 'female' model was a whole lot more captivating, and natural looking than most other Cat A models. Remember, I was not a 'casual observer', and neither were any of the industry professionals and we were all 'convinced'.
    oh man... did the male model realise his ermm.. folly?

Well said.

Only trouble is, if no form of moderation or censorship is practiced on the comments, how to prevent people making ungentlemanly comments, those languages that are very common in EDWM forum at HWZ?
    Some folks are more interested in discussing the physical attributes of the girls and models and their fantasies than commenting on the photos itself..

I'm going to give me 2 cents on this as someone who is not really interested in "pretty" or "ugly"

it is not every photographer's intention to create something pretty or beautiful

it is not every photographer's intention to have their photos dissected when they post in Portraits and Poses. Some people are more sensitive to comments than others. there is nothing wrong with this. Different people have different comfort levels.
    As a poster, if you are uncomfortable with certain types of comments you can just say so and request that people acknowledge your requests.

There are two ways to take comments: put yourself in the commentator's shoes and try to understand the main motivation of why they say what they say, or ignore what they say and do things the way you believe in.
    But to say "no we cannot say this or that" is just detrimental to our photographic community in the long run.
    I believe that's know as 'CENSORSHIP'.

Not answering to anyone in particular, but this applies to a whole lot of people.

I just ran into another thread, said model, rather famous or infamous depending on which side of the aisle you are on, but that does not matter. What mattered is, in the picture, I saw the following - ridiculously long bbq skewer eye lashes that can kill, extra large iris enlarging contact lens that will make anime babe proud, fake nails with grotesque growth on top ... meanwhile the heavy make up was expertly done ...

I have met this model before, and she is not a plain Jane by any chance, decent figure, big beautiful eyes, pouty lips, a bit short, but she can look good naturally.

What puzzled me was and is, she does not need to do all the extra, and to do them to extreme, but she did, so, my question again is, who should the criticism be directed to?
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Not answering to anyone in particular, but this applies to a whole lot of people.

I just ran into another thread, said model, rather famous or infamous depending on which side of the aisle you are on, but that does not matter. What mattered is, in the picture, I saw the following - ridiculously long bbq skewer eye lashes that can kill, extra large iris enlarging contact lens that will make anime babe proud, fake nails with grotesque growth on top ... meanwhile the heavy make up was expertly done ...

I have met this model before, and she is not a plain Jane by any chance, decent figure, big beautiful eyes, pouty lips, a bit short, but she can look good naturally.

What puzzled me was and is, she does not need to do all the extra, and to do them to extreme, but she did, so, my question again is, who should the criticism be directed to?
    I would have to say:
    1. The model, for applying on all that extra junk.
    2. The MUA, for the excessive make-up.
    3. The photog, for not speaking up and telling the model and mua to keep it simple.

What I've seen is that, even though the photog is the one paying for the model/mua, in most cases the photog seems too scared to tell the model to remove all the extra accessories.

If the model is paying you for a portfolio photoshoot, by all means, advise her the contacts, fake eyelashes and fake nails might detract from the image, but the final choice is hers. If the photog is paying, the final decision (and blame) is with the photog.
    Alpha

Who can remember GOLD 95 FM advertisement.... on the boy that plays tennis like Agassi?
    Ironically we have an almost similar situation here.... Nightmare seem like the father of the boy and the coach is DP.....

vince123123
    Guests

OMFG LMFAO!!

Quote Originally Posted by khtee View Post
    Who can remember GOLD 95 FM advertisement.... on the boy that plays tennis like Agassi?
    Ironically we have an almost similar situation here.... Nightmare seem like the father of the boy and the coach is DP.....

You can direct the criticism to the model because 1) most of the time, for these XMM shoots, MUA isn't provided, 2) the model MAY be overcompensating for bad complexion, which is sort of a good thing because at least she's compensating, and 3) the model may just be extremely insecure. Most photoshoots require tons of makeup anyway because strong light or even too little light can bring out lines, scars, zits, etc. If there's no MUA, blame the model (or whoever did the model's makeup- maybe another model?).
    Available as a model, photographer, and art director/stylist.

Quote Originally Posted by Triazolium View Post
    If there's no MUA, blame the model (or whoever did the model's makeup- maybe another model?).
    But also the photog if he paid the XMM for the shoot. Photogs here need to realize that if you pay, you also have creative control. I think most photogs here think they're paying "just to be able to take XMM pictures, better not complain, how many XMM will let you take their picture?". Point is, you are paying the XMM. So feel free to tell her to get rid of that junk. But many photogs here don't want to / don't have the courage to speak up, or maybe actually like that plastic-face look.
    Alpha

nightmare, I don't understand why you are so vehemently speaking up on this topic
    the closest thing I see to you taking a picture relating to a living creature's beauty is this
    http://www.pbase.com/night86mare/image/80401774

I would suggest being more selective with your battles
    Self Portrait?!

I remember an example of a magazine print ad for a cigarette co once when I was shooting for mod agencies. The booker was gushing about how even the (Caucasian) male model, standing beside the 'female' (Thai) model had no idea, and was hitting on 'her' throughout the entire shoot. I saw the tear-sheet, and I swear, the 'female' model was a whole lot more captivating, and natural looking than most other Cat A models. Remember, I was not a 'casual observer', and neither were any of the industry professionals and we were all 'convinced'.
    oooo have an image to put to the anecdote? sounds like a good one!

nightmare, I don't understand why you are so vehemently speaking up on this topic
    the closest thing I see to you taking a picture relating to a living creature's beauty is this
    http://www.pbase.com/night86mare/image/80401774

I would suggest being more selective with your battles
    I think this is the beginning of his "Zoo Idols" series.
    Last edited by Sion; 5th June 2008 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    Self Portrait?!
    To one and all:
    I received an Infraction from our mods for making a joke and poking fun at someone else within this forum. Clearly this place has lost its sense of humor if something as trivial is considered a violation when there've been dumber and more offensive jokes and comments made b4 in the history of CS. To Chngpt if you want you can suspend me or expel me from this place for broadcasting this, i do not care anymore at this point, but i will add one final thing on the matter and not speak of it publicly again: IT WAS WORTH IT!!!
    Last edited by garou12; 5th June 2008 at 01:47 PM.

To one and all:
    I received an Infraction from our mods for making a joke and poking fun at someone else within this forum. Clearly this place has lost its sense of humor if something as trivial is considered a violation when there've been dumber and more offensive jokes and comments made b4 in the history of CS. To Chngpt if you want you can suspend me or expel me from this place for broadcasting this, i do not care anymore at this point, but i will add one final thing on the matter and not speak of it publicly again: IT WAS WORTH IT!!!
    Let's not this be the start of another potential thread:

"Comments directed to the look of photographer, why not?"

To one and all:
    wah so serious ah..

Quote Originally Posted by Kongo View Post
    Well said.

Only trouble is, if no form of moderation or censorship is practiced on the comments, how to prevent people making ungentlemanly comments, those languages that are very common in EDWM forum at HWZ?
    Some folks are more interested in discussing the physical attributes of the girls and models and their fantasies than commenting on the photos itself..
    I would like to think that there is a certain amount of community moderation within the community itself.
    You will see that people do speak up when they feel that certain comments are unhleahty for the direction of a discussion.
    Have a little faith in the general intelligence of the participants here yeah?
    The reason why EDWM is screwed up like that is because people have given up on saying anything worthwhile there.

To one and all:
    wow.
    garou, sorry for having a sense of humour

wow... just entered this thread and honestly i haven't a clue on where to start =x

oh well, i'll just give my $0.02 / 2

supposing the model is a
    Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    walking fashion disaster and commits every fashion faux pas in the book
    then go again and criticise, it may actually do some good to the model.

However, criticising a model for undesirable phenotypical traits? Unless one expects the model to undergo plastic surgery to fit your perception of 'beauty', such comments are neither necessary nor respectful. imho, people who make such meaningless comments echo sentiments of chauvinism or even fascism.

Obviously she didn't make up for you to shoot her.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 27101112131417 ... LastLast