Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No fuel for foreign motorists within 50km of Malaysian borders

Default Re: No fuel for foreign motorists within 50km of Malaysian borders

Quote Originally Posted by Lmodel View Post

The move would affect Singaporeans like Mr Edwin Ngin Kuan Wee, who drives twice a week from his home in Telok Blangah to Johor Baru during weekdays, just to top up the tank.

Even with the three-quarter-tank rule imposed by the Republic on Singapore cars, he manages to save on each trip in his Toyota Celica.

He fills up a quarter of the tank, about 26 litres, each time in JB at RM1.92 a litre, or a total of $21.10.

In Singapore, the same amount would cost him $54.60 at $2.10 a litre, saving him $33.50.

'I am not sure it will be worthwhile for me to drive 50km into Johor for petrol,' said the 26-year-old sales engineer.
    I just spotted an error here. Whether intentional or not, it makes it seem like as if this guy is saving $33.50 each time, which is not possible.

He pumps a quarter of the tank, about 26 litres. I want them to show me a Toyota Celica with a fuel capacity of 104 litres. Please. Show me.
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

I see a very lucrative business for some enterprising Johoreans:

Get a car with big tank, eg, Merc S320, top it up with petrol and park at some back lane. When sg cars come along, they just park side by side and the guy simply pump off the petrol from the JB car into the sg car. Sg car pays JB price, with small premium commission for the Johorean. Johorean can drive the Merc to refuel again before the next sg customer comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ansel View Post

Get a car with big tank, eg, Merc S320, top it up with petrol and park at some back lane. When sg cars come along, they just park side by side and the guy simply pump off the petrol from the JB car into the sg car. Sg car pays JB price, with small premium commission for the Johorean. Johorean can drive the Merc to refuel again before the next sg customer comes.
    Great idea!

Any Johorean here please PM me.

Today's Malaysia news paper China Press indicated 30km rule not 50km, and petrol station in J.B. did not received any offical order from any govt department yet, police department indicate they rather fight crime then enforce the 30km rule. Let's wait and see what will be the outcome. If this new 30km rule from K.L. apply to J.B., many petrol station and J.B. business will close shop.
    Canon 5D II, 20-35 f/2.8L, 28-80 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-300 f/5.6L, 100 f/2.8 Macro

I respect the MLY decision to benefit their citizens only with the fuel subsidy.
    They have every right to do so.

Sing cars can still top up but pay the non-subsidised price.

If Sing cars cannot top up at all within 30KM even if they pay the non-subsidised price, then the rule is not practical. Many businessmen from Sing trvael within JB. They are not there only to buy subsidised petrol.

Aiyoyo... Why so troublesome???
    They will park the whole petrol truck in the back lane waiting for you.
    Malaysian Boleh...

You know how desparate they are?
    Once I pump petrol in JB, they provide a ramp for me to tilt the car so that I can pump more...

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    I respect the MLY decision to benefit their citizens only with the fuel subsidy.
    They have every right to do so.

Sing cars can still top up but pay the non-subsidised price.

If Sing cars cannot top up at all within 30KM even if they pay the non-subsidised price, then the rule is not practical. Many businessmen from Sing trvael within JB. They are not there only to buy subsidised petrol.
    I respect my SIN decision even more, from the start we are protecting the MLY citizens with the 3/4 tank rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    Aiyoyo... Why so troublesome???
    Malaysian Boleh...

You know how desparate they are?
    Once I pump petrol in JB, they provide a ramp for me to tilt the car so that I can pump more...
    I don't think it is legal to sell petrol. Furthermore, petrol is highly combustible and it is too dangerous for both the sellers and the buyers.

As for the tiled ramp, the petrol kiosks are merely providing a "value-added" service to Singaporean drivers. Contradictory to your statement, they find Singaporean drivers more desperate, having to find ways and means to squeeze every drop of petrol into the vehicle.

I don't think it is legal to sell petrol. Furthermore, petrol is highly combustible and it is too dangerous for both the sellers and the buyers.
    It is illegal but nothing new, it is alway happening in western Singapore with Malaysia truck selling petrol.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy_h View Post
    It never was worthwhile, Mr Edwin Ngin. You got way too much time on your hands to drive to JB twice a week to top up 1/4 of your tank.
    and you really believe he went in just to top up 1/4 tank huh?
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by entropy_h View Post
    I just spotted an error here. Whether intentional or not, it makes it seem like as if this guy is saving $33.50 each time, which is not possible.

He pumps a quarter of the tank, about 26 litres. I want them to show me a Toyota Celica with a fuel capacity of 104 litres. Please. Show me.
    feedback to ST, we can't provide you with the answer. ST said it not us

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    Did he really say that?

Pictures always should have a special story behind it or a special meaning to the photographer.

As for the tiled ramp, the petrol kiosks are merely providing a "value-added" service to Singaporean drivers. Contradictory to your statement, they find Singaporean drivers more desperate, having to find ways and means to squeeze every drop of petrol into the vehicle.
    Hahah, You could be right, maybe Singaporean is the more desperate lot...

M'sia is a land full of opportunities and compassion, and this why most things can be legalize easily. They are doing things that can't be imagine by our typical x-y generation.
    You will be surprise how they smuggle black oil into Thailand.

M'sia further subsidise those poor fishermen and farmers with much cheaper petrol. I get to see how these poor people trade the heavily subsidised petrol. To us it is dangerous, to them it is normal to smoke while refueling for the buyer.

Did he really say that?
    Nope he didn't say it in English if that's what you mean, he said it in German. I merely copied the translated English version. Might have some grammatic error but the idea is there.

But that's OT for this thread
    Last edited by yanyewkay; 30th May 2008 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    Quote Originally Posted by Ansel
    Did he really say that?
    Ah Dolf also said:

"How fortunate for a shooter that Canon has L lenses.”

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_84 View Post
    looks like business in JB is going to take some beatings due to lesser sg customers....think my friends wont be going in so often already during the weekends.
    your friends will go every weekends cos the ban will be postphone to later date until every bodies forget

Quote Originally Posted by Parka View Post
    I think it will be smarter to increase charges for foreign drivers instead of having the 50km rule.
    Anyway, that's what I'll do if I were them.
    How is the M'sia government going to administer that rule? There is a loophole of that increase charges will end up in the petrol kiosk owner pocket rather than the government.

Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    I respect my SIN decision even more, from the start we are protecting the MLY citizens with the 3/4 tank rule.
    From the start, the SIN government is looking at the lost of tax revenue from petrol rather than the MAL side.

Quote Originally Posted by cheeseme View Post
    Objectively I hope, probably that's one of the best way to stop Singaporean from taking advantage of other country's benefit to their people in terms of fuel.
    We never stop Malaysian coming to take advantage of our country's benefit to our people so are you so pissed off.:sweat

[QUOTE=Silence Sky;4048736]Aiyoyo... Why so troublesome???
    Malaysian Boleh...

No need so trouble, JB mechanics drive their cars full of petrol into Singapore & pump it out to sell for Big Profit

When profit is good legal or illegal do not mattar

M'sia further subsidise those poor fishermen and farmers with much cheaper petrol. I get to see how these poor people trade the heavily subsidised petrol. To us it is dangerous, to them it is normal to smoke while refueling for the buyer.
    No problem when they fall sick, cos medical is also heavily subsidised

no fuel for foreign vehicles within 50km of M'sian borders. as if that'll discourage motorists from topping up in m'sia.

the average 1.6 litre car has a fuel economy of about 7 - 8 litres of fuel per 100km, so 50km would use up say 4 litres. at RM 1.92/L that works out to RM7.70 or SG$3.85, that's a bowl of noodles.

considering the price of cars in Sg, if $4 of fuel is going to break your bank, maybe one should reconsider purchasing a vehicle in the first place.
    Today is a gift; that's why it's called the present.
    The toys

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast